Installer crash. 3900x + 5700xt

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone, I am experiencing an installer crash issue. Can anyone give some hint on how to solve this?

I am using opencore 0.5.8
I have enclosed my config.plist.

Here is the hardware list:
CPU: 3900x
GPU: MSI 5700xt mech
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 Mini ITX Thunderbolt 3 AMD Motherboard Model X570 Phantom GAM ITX (BIOS 2.0)
Disk: WD_Black SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G3X0C
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
WIFI card: fenvi BCM94352Z DW1560

IMG_9777.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.6 KB · Views: 11

Yu32

AMD OS X Member
Here's my plist if it helps any...

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.8 KB · Views: 7

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
Here's my plist if it helps any...
Thanks, I think somehow the Catalina installer has an issue. I tried to clone my Macbook pro disk with carbon copy cloner, and it works.

MagicMANX

AMD OS X Member
Hello, wanted to stop by and let you know that the cause of the issue is the video card, if you put anything else,, I've seen posts with people using rx580 with no issues even and NVIDIA card just to through the install phase, it will work just fine.

I had this same issue, even formatted the machine thinking it was because of updating from high sierra (was stuck with nvidia), the first update this did not happen, because I updated with the nvidia card still installed, once catalina booted up, changed the video card with a RX5700XT and everything was working fine, the first update that I tried with the Radeon card, had the problem, tried multiple times, nothing worked, but I could boot to the macos partition normally, just not complete the update, hence the format of the machine.

Upon a fresh install got the same issue as you, which clearly showed me the update from high sierra was not the problem, popped a 1070 back in, completed the install, back to radeon, everything works fine.

still can't find a solution for this other than swapping cards for OS updates.

I've tried bootargs to wegnoegpu, removing weg, using only a DP monitor, removing the agmodpikera...

hope this helps.

CPU: AMD R7 2700x
RAM: 16GB Gskill 3200
Mobo: Asus TUF b450m Gaming
GPU: RX5700XT
Wifi: fenvi DW1560

MagicMANX

AMD OS X Member
it happen again, with update 10.15.5, I just completed the process, everything works fine.

IMG_1719.jpg

popped nvidia card back in... update installs...
IMG_1720.jpg

once completed, back to radeon, boots just fine.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 16.58.59.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
10.15.5 has broken SMU Firmware for Navi Cards since Beta 1, just disable RadeonBoost kext.

MagicMANX

AMD OS X Member
10.15.5 has broken SMU Firmware for Navi Cards since Beta 1, just disable RadeonBoost kext.

Hey!, I don't have that kext in my system, in fact, had no idea about it until now, checking the config.plist from the dude starting the thread and seems like he doesn't have it either.

Anthrix

AMD OS X Member
Same problem here, trying to install Catalina with MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X same problem after boot from hdd just crash report.

0rca

AMD OS X Member
Same problem here as well. MSI RX 5700 Mech OC. x570 Aorus ultra.
So far I have tried Catalina 10.15.5 and 10.15.4 with no luck. grey crash screen after the first restart during install.
Mojave works fine-- except no graphics card support for navi cards. It shows up as 7MB graphics from my mobo... a little bit less than the 8GB VRAM I was hoping to have, heh

0rca

AMD OS X Member
The next thing I'm planning to try is updating to the Opencore 0.5.9 beta... might just wait til it's official release on Monday.

0rca

AMD OS X Member
Got it working! see this thread for the fix.

basically disable the dGPU after the first boot by adding the boot arg, then after the second boot, remove the boot arg, reinsert usb stick and continue from there

Anthrix

AMD OS X Member
Got it working! see this thread for the fix.

basically disable the dGPU after the first boot by adding the boot arg, then after the second boot, remove the boot arg, reinsert usb stick and continue from there
Nice man i had. to use OC 0.5.7 and in bootarg add -wegnoegpu.

Does fans on your gpu running?

fntzzz

AMD OS X Member
Just add -wegnoegpu into your bootflag into, yoiur config.plist and everything will be working like a charm. You must add it on second part of installer, and after that you can/should remove it, and yourt system will be ready to go.

MagicMANX

AMD OS X Member
turns out this was the issue all along, if anyone is interested, the fix is in the post.

I think we can close this thread now, thanks!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.