Install and run Monterey Without a wireless/Bluetooth card

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am wanting to build a file server and since it will be hardwired with a nic, can you run Mac OS without a Bluetooth and wireless card or will it flag your account or something?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes you can run macOS without a WiFi/BT card. I have 2 x HP Servers setup and running Catalina, neither have a WiFi/BT card installed.

Both work with the normal Apple services, obviously not Handoff, Continuity or Airdrop.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes you can run macOS without a WiFi/BT card. I have 2 x HP Servers setup and running Catalina, neither have a WiFi/BT card installed.

Both work with the normal Apple services, obviously not Handoff, Continuity or Airdrop.
Thank you. I am setting this one up as a file server, do you know if the Opencore Legacy Patcher will allow for using a NVidia GT710 Video card again? (I got 5 of those laying around and want to use one of those instead of having to pay hundreds for a video card just for a machine that will sit idle)

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If it is a file server, why not use macOS Big Sur, where the GPU would be natively supported?

I have my two servers running Catalina, but serving systems running High Sierra through to Big Sur and Monterey, due to a similar device issue. A File Server doesn't need to be on the latest version of macOS.

FYI. If you are using large capacity WD Red or similar HDD's for your Data drives, then you will need to set them up as HFS+ not APFS. As APFS doesn't play nicely with Spinning disks. APFS is specifically aimed at NVMe/SSD's etc. So I have my macOS SSD set as APFS but the data drives are all HFS+ format.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
If it is a file server, why not use macOS Big Sur, where the GPU would be natively supported?

I have my two servers running Catalina, but serving systems running High Sierra through to Big Sur and Monterey, due to a similar device issue. A File Server doesn't need to be on the latest version of macOS.

FYI. If you are using large capacity WD Red or similar HDD's for your Data drives, then you will need to set them up as HFS+ not APFS. As APFS doesn't play nicely with Spinning disks. APFS is specifically aimed at NVMe/SSD's etc. So I have my macOS SSD set as APFS but the data drives are all HFS+ format.G
Good idea, that would eliminate any issues with the GT710. All drives will be SSD so that should not be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.