HOW TO SOLVE: Animated static static sand when trying on Installation boot-loader screen "only" on CATALINA, BIG SUR, MONTEREY

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

So I can see a pattern problem when hackntoshing laptops with Radeon Graphics cards.

Things are usually ok on intel IGPUs, and that is the majority of the bulk of the community.

However laptops with dedicated AMD are more rare since the majority of laptops hav nvidia. And many of Radeon cards don't have mux switch or aren't models compatible with Mac Os

Obseveration:

All of the laptops with the compatible GPU's have the same exact problem. They can install up to Mojave with no problems at all. The list of laptops are below:

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 7 2700, Vega 56, B450 Motherboard

2. HP Omen 17: Intel 7700HQ, RX 580 8GB

3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15

All of the installation started when Apple released Catalina. All of these laptop listed above showed the same issue. The installer is fine up to Mojave. The Os'es having problems are listed below:

1. Catalina

2.Big Sur

3. Monterey

Every single one of the laptops had issues with the last 3 OS releases. The problem shows as animate static sand instead of the installer page. Technically they all reach the installer page, but it wont graphically the menu.

I have connected external monitors to no avail, it just shows the grey color installation backdrop.

My perspective

Clearly Apple made some sort of overhaul starting Catalina, which it would make sense since is the starting point to an only 64bit OS. What I do not understand is why the compatible cards like the RX580 and the Vega can not properly render the installer page, but it works fine on High Sierra and Mojave.

Currently all of them are on Mojave and they work great.

I know laptops with compatible Radeon cards are very minimal when compared to intel IGPUs which is what most use for Hackintosh. But if anyone have some experience to solve this issue to solve the rendering issue on the installation page would be super

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    46.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
So I can see a pattern problem when hackntoshing laptops with Radeon Graphics cards.

Things are usually ok on intel IGPUs, and that is the majority of the bulk of the community.

However laptops with dedicated AMD are more rare since the majority of laptops hav nvidia. And many of Radeon cards don't have mux switch or aren't models compatible with Mac Os

Obseveration:

All of the laptops with the compatible GPU's have the same exact problem. They can install up to Mojave with no problems at all. The list of laptops are below:

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 7 2700, Vega 56, B450 Motherboard

2. HP Omen 17: Intel 7700HQ, RX 580 8GB

3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15

All of the installation started when Apple released Catalina. All of these laptop listed above showed the same issue. The installer is fine up to Mojave. The Os'es having problems are listed below:

1. Catalina

2.Big Sur

3. Monterey

Every single one of the laptops had issues with the last 3 OS releases. The problem shows as animate static sand instead of the installer page. Technically they all reach the installer page, but it wont graphically the menu.

I have connected external monitors to no avail, it just shows the grey color installation backdrop.

My perspective

Clearly Apple made some sort of overhaul starting Catalina, which it would make sense since is the starting point to an only 64bit OS. What I do not understand is why the compatible cards like the RX580 and the Vega can not properly render the installer page, but it works fine on High Sierra and Mojave.

Currently all of them are on Mojave and they work great.

I know laptops with compatible Radeon cards are very minimal when compared to intel IGPUs which is what most use for Hackintosh. But if anyone have some experience to solve this issue to solve the rendering issue on the installation page would be super
Okay. Let me try to explain this. In my experience the static page issue is caused by any number of things but primarily it is to do with the device and framebuffer settings and how the system works with that. However the static page isn't just a problem occurring on AMD machines but also Intel ones. I've recently experienced the same static page issue on a Z590 build that I have with a RX6600 card installed. If the settings are wrong or if the system has bad memory, mismatched RAM or poorly configured settings in BIOS/poor custom firmware installed it happens. It also occurs during system transitions to sleep, when the card reaches low power or if not enough power is going to the card.

For this Dortania has posted a guide on how to solve the issue which is posted under Fixing Sleep > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/sleep.html. The fix involves first disabling a number of sleep and hibernation functions in Terminal before moving onto the config.plist and BIOS settings. For DGPU users like ourselves we are going to need the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC fix under device properties as well as forceRenderStandby=0 under the boot-arg. For Intel chip users they will also need igfxonln=1 and check that their IGPU settings are correct under the OC guides.

Aside from the issue of bad memory regions (which Dortania has also outlined in the guide under Fixing RTC, which involves isolating the bad portion of memory via a boot-arg) there is the also the fairly frequent issue of just simply bad GPUs as well as condition of working environment. Manufacturing defects for GPUs are less common these days because of the improved manufacturing processes and tolerances used, but it can still happen. Cards being transported from factories to warehouses often get flown or shipped these days from country to country so it's not surprising a bit of jostle here and there during the process can unseat the chips. Humidity is also a possible cause for electronic gear failing especially for Asian or Middle-East, Mediterraneans or sub-tropic areas, and can also happen for gear travelling by sea to their ports of destination. Despite being in a container and placed into non-static bags with silica gel, GPUs are exposed to seawater air as they travel so theoretically it could/can have some effect on the quality of the equipment. So in this instance it may also be a good practice to try to keep equipment areas dry and if possible run air con or dehumidifiers to solve the issue. Humidity levels ideally need to be below 50% or less for most for best operation.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Okay. Let me try to explain this. In my experience the static page issue is caused by any number of things but primarily it is to do with the device and framebuffer settings and how the system works with that. However the static page isn't just a problem occurring on AMD machines but also Intel ones. I've recently experienced the same static page issue on a Z590 build that I have with a RX6600 card installed. If the settings are wrong or if the system has bad memory, mismatched RAM or poorly configured settings in BIOS/poor custom firmware installed it happens. It also occurs during system transitions to sleep, when the card reaches low power or if not enough power is going to the card.

For this Dortania has posted a guide on how to solve the issue which is posted under Fixing Sleep > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/sleep.html. The fix involves first disabling a number of sleep and hibernation functions in Terminal before moving onto the config.plist and BIOS settings. For DGPU users like ourselves we are going to need the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC fix under device properties as well as forceRenderStandby=0 under the boot-arg. For Intel chip users they will also need igfxonln=1 and check that their IGPU settings are correct under the OC guides.

Aside from the issue of bad memory regions (which Dortania has also outlined in the guide under Fixing RTC, which involves isolating the bad portion of memory via a boot-arg) there is the also the fairly frequent issue of just simply bad GPUs as well as condition of working environment. Manufacturing defects for GPUs are less common these days because of the improved manufacturing processes and tolerances used, but it can still happen. Cards being transported from factories to warehouses often get flown or shipped these days from country to country so it's not surprising a bit of jostle here and there during the process can unseat the chips. Humidity is also a possible cause for electronic gear failing especially for Asian or Middle-East, Mediterraneans or sub-tropic areas, and can also happen for gear travelling by sea to their ports of destination. Despite being in a container and placed into non-static bags with silica gel, GPUs are exposed to seawater air as they travel so theoretically it could/can have some effect on the quality of the equipment. So in this instance it may also be a good practice to try to keep equipment areas dry and if possible run air con or dehumidifiers to solve the issue. Humidity levels ideally need to be below 50% or less for most for best operation.
Thanks. The GPUs have perfectly functional, not likely to be the issue. I will give at your try from your other thread and this when i have some free time. Thanks man!(y)

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Here is an example of what I am talking about👇👇👇

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
Hello Jo-Toku, I come from Germany and have exactly the same problem with my ASUS laptop GL702ZC. I've tried all sorts of things, but without success. I accidentally found your thread here and wanted to ask if you've found a solution yet? Unfortunately, I'm not able to test whether it works with a version of Mojave. I can't get a full version of Mojave or High Siera to download and install. Then the prohibition sign always appears? Do you perhaps have a link where I can download a full version of Mojave or High Siera that can then be installed? LG xpkiller

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Use Corpnewt's GibMacOS script to download the OS you want from Apple's servers. It is a sure way of getting an unadulterated copy of the macOS installer, direct from Apple.

Just remember that some older versions of macOS will lack drivers for Navi and Navi II GPU's. Plus NootedRed.kext won't work in those older versions either if you are using the AMD IGPU.

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk, Thanks, I used Corpnewt's GibMacOS script to load a full version of Mojave. But unfortunately I had to realize that this Mojave is already too old to install on my laptop. From Big Sur and Montery onwards integration works, but with the disadvantage that the install menu is not displayed?
LG xpkiller

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If you are using the AMD IGPU in your laptop, with NootedRed, then you need to install macOS Catalina. Earlier versions of macOS don’t work with NootedRed.kext.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If you are trying to use the discrete AMD GPU, then that will be a different issue.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you tried booting the system with a separate monitor connected through the HDMI port? Does this get the white noise screen during the macOS installation?

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
When I connect the laptop with an HDMI cable, I get to see the installation menu, but only after the install has finished loading. But I haven't been able to make any input so far because the laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work. Where can I get the NootedRed.kext, haven't tried that yet?

EDIT: Found it. Catalina boots, but then goes to the black screen. An entry in boot-args -NRedDPDelay did not fix this. Big Sur and Monterey don't even boot with NootedRed.

Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello Jo-Toku, I come from Germany and have exactly the same problem with my ASUS laptop GL702ZC. I've tried all sorts of things, but without success. I accidentally found your thread here and wanted to ask if you've found a solution yet? Unfortunately, I'm not able to test whether it works with a version of Mojave. I can't get a full version of Mojave or High Siera to download and install. Then the prohibition sign always appears? Do you perhaps have a link where I can download a full version of Mojave or High Siera that can then be installed? LG xpkiller
I have not. The only person that I know and managed to get further was a Russian member that used to post here and closed his account. He had the Helios 500 with the same issue, Ryzen 2700 (his was the 2600) and the Vega 56. He did get to Big Sur, however he never elaborated how he managed to do so. I don't blame the guy for njot sharing how he did it. At the time not many people knew of these type of laptops, so not much was available anywhere online.

I have them laptops but they are stuck on Mojave

Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Have you tried booting the system with a separate monitor connected through the HDMI port? Does this get the white noise screen during the macOS installation?
With the HP Omen, it can boot on the external, but not the internal, only noise shows

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
This is my system, I just recently started installing macOS. The prospect of getting this done somehow is rather bad? But maybe it will work at some point? I started from scratch and set everything up straight away with the latest OC 0.8.9, which is probably why I can't start with High Sierra and Mojave? Catalina wanted to boot, but only to the black screen. Anything else then causes this to appear as animated static sand instead of the installer page? You can take a look at my log file, it seems as if it is loading correctly and then this screen appears.

ASUS ROG GL7027C Laptop

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six-core Prozessor 3,20 GHz

Radeon (TM) RX580

Realtek 8822BE Wireless Lan 802.11ac PCI-E NIC

16 GB Arbeitsspeicher

Then connected the Lappi over HDMI to the Smart TV and there was the install menu. But unfortunately I couldn't move the mouse cursor there, the touchpad probably doesn't work and I didn't have the USB mouse to hand. EDIT: February 29, 2024 I connected it to the TV again, this time with a USB mouse. With the EFI menu, the image can only be seen on the laptop; only when the boot process is finished does the menu become active and visible on the TV. But I can't do anything, the mouse and keyboard don't work. A pity!

Smarttv.png snow.png

Attachments

• opencore-2024-03-10-210314.txt.zip
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • meine EFI.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The reason why your Keyboard and trackpad don't work is that you don't have the correct kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. Laptops require the following kexts:
You have none of these kexts in your OC 0.9.8 setup.
You don't even have the older VoodooPS2Controller.kext, which might also work and be required by your laptop - https://github.com/acidanthera/VoodooPS2/releases

You have a USBPorts_Asusb450_i_gaming.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder, WHY? This is for a desktop system not a laptop, so if is not going to work. You would be better served enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in the config.plist during installation, so you have a chance of the external USB ports working with your Wired USB Mouse.

You don't want or need the ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver in your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder. This is a CLOVER driver, OpenCore has the APFS driver settings builtin. This should be removed from your OC setup.

Your Realtek Wireless/Bluetooth card is not supported in any version of macOS. It needs to be replace with a compatible Broadcom or Intel WiFi/BT card. I currently use Intel AX200NGW cards when replacing WiFi/BT cards in my AMD hacks, as I want them to run macOS Sonoma without the need to disable SIP or jump through any other hoops for OCLP to work.

As your Asus laptop contains a desktop CPU, which lacks an Integrated GPU, you will need to see if you can get the RX580 dGPU working in your system. So using the SSDT-GPU-Disable.aml table won't help any. Removing this SSDT might help the external display to at least the Verbose text during the boot process.

You should not use NootedRed.kext with your laptop, as it lacks an AMD IGPU. You will need to stick with WhateverGreen.kext so the RX580 is supported.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table is a generic SSDT, which tries to cater for a lot of different systems, Intel and AMD. I would strongly recommend booting in to Windows or Linux and using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script and your laptop's System DSDT.aml table to generate custom SSDTs for your system. https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime

The SSDT's required for an AMD laptop system would include the following:
  1. SSDT-EC.aml
  2. SSDT-HPET.aml
  3. SSDT-PLNF.aml (option 99 for AMD)
  4. SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
  5. SSDT-USBX.aml, and
  6. SSDT-XOSI.aml
SSDT-HPET and SSDT-XOSI both have companion ACPI patches, which need to be added (copy & paste) to your config.plist. Without these ACPI patches the two SSDT's do nothing. Here is a guide to using SSDTTime (on macOS), but the process is the same in Windows and Linux if you used either of those OS's.

Personally I would remove the following kexts from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist: None of these kexts are required for booting your system.
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext
  • Bluetooth-Spoof.kext
  • NootedRed.kext
  • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  • USBPorts_Asusb450_i_gaming.kext
I am not sure if your laptop required VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext, as it contains a Desktop CPU. I would leave it just because your system currently boots with it in the OC setup. However, it may be worth testing to see if this kext is required once you have macOS installed.

Your /EFI/OC/Tools folder is over populated, you don't need any of these Tools to boot your system. I tend to keep ClearNvram.efi, OpenShell.efi and ResetSystem.efi. Because you could end up using one or more of these Tools from the OC boot screen.

Your current EFI contents looks like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 20.03.39.png EFI folder viewed in Finder window.

Were I creating the EFI for your Asus laptop, it would start like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 20.41.09.png Amended EFI folder contents, viewed in Finder window.

You config.plist contains a number of entries for kexts, SSDTs, Tools and Drivers that are no longer present or not used. These should be removed so the config is easier to read and not filled with useless entries.

You are using an old version of the AMD kernel patches, there are only 16 patches in the set you are using. The latest set of AMD kernel patches contains 22 patches. These need to be updated to work with the OC 0.9.8 release you are using to boot the system. You at least have the correct core-count set for the first 3 patches, in the new set you need to do this for the first 4 patches.

You have the Misc > Boot > Timeout entry set to '0'. This is fine when you have macOS up and running but not when you are first installing the OS. You should set this to 5 seconds or more, so you have a chance to see the OC boot screen and if necessary use the Drivers and Tools added to your OC setup.

Not sure what is going on with your NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 entries, as most are disabled. using the # (hash tag) entry in front of a Key disables the entry in OpenCore.

Boot argument npc=0x2000 should be npci=0x3000.

The MacPro7,1 SMBIOS is not correct for your laptop. I think you should be using a MacBookPro16,3 or 4 for your setup.

You should be using the correct UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries for the earliest version of macOS you want to run on this system, not '-1'. This is not recommended even by the OC developers.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 20.57.10.png APFS > MinDate and MiVersion entries.

I think that might be enough for you to be getting on with for now. Change your setup as recommended and then come back if you have any issues or questions.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The reason why your Keyboard and trackpad don't work is that you don't have the correct kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. Laptops require the following kexts:
You have none of these kexts in your OC 0.9.8 setup.
You don't even have the older VoodooPS2Controller.kext, which might also work and be required by your laptop - https://github.com/acidanthera/VoodooPS2/releases

You have a USBPorts_Asusb450_i_gaming.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder, WHY? This is for a desktop system not a laptop, so if is not going to work. You would be better served enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in the config.plist during installation, so you have a chance of the external USB ports working with your Wired USB Mouse.

You don't want or need the ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver in your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder. This is a CLOVER driver, OpenCore has the APFS driver settings builtin. This should be removed from your OC setup.

Your Realtek Wireless/Bluetooth card is not supported in any version of macOS. It needs to be replace with a compatible Broadcom or Intel WiFi/BT card. I currently use Intel AX200NGW cards when replacing WiFi/BT cards in my AMD hacks, as I want them to run macOS Sonoma without the need to disable SIP or jump through any other hoops for OCLP to work.

As your Asus laptop contains a desktop CPU, which lacks an Integrated GPU, you will need to see if you can get the RX580 dGPU working in your system. So using the SSDT-GPU-Disable.aml table won't help any. Removing this SSDT might help the external display to at least the Verbose text during the boot process.

You should not use NootedRed.kext with your laptop, as it lacks an AMD IGPU. You will need to stick with WhateverGreen.kext so the RX580 is supported.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table is a generic SSDT, which tries to cater for a lot of different systems, Intel and AMD. I would strongly recommend booting in to Windows or Linux and using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script and your laptop's System DSDT.aml table to generate custom SSDTs for your system. https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime

The SSDT's required for an AMD laptop system would include the following:
  1. SSDT-EC.aml
  2. SSDT-HPET.aml
  3. SSDT-PLNF.aml (option 99 for AMD)
  4. SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
  5. SSDT-USBX.aml, and
  6. SSDT-XOSI.aml
SSDT-HPET and SSDT-XOSI both have companion ACPI patches, which need to be added (copy & paste) to your config.plist. Without these ACPI patches the two SSDT's do nothing. Here is a guide to using SSDTTime (on macOS), but the process is the same in Windows and Linux if you used either of those OS's.

Personally I would remove the following kexts from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist: None of these kexts are required for booting your system.
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext
  • Bluetooth-Spoof.kext
  • NootedRed.kext
  • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  • USBPorts_Asusb450_i_gaming.kext
I am not sure if your laptop required VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext, as it contains a Desktop CPU. I would leave it just because your system currently boots with it in the OC setup. However, it may be worth testing to see if this kext is required once you have macOS installed.

Your /EFI/OC/Tools folder is over populated, you don't need any of these Tools to boot your system. I tend to keep ClearNvram.efi, OpenShell.efi and ResetSystem.efi. Because you could end up using one or more of these Tools from the OC boot screen.

Your current EFI contents looks like this:
View attachment 13492 EFI folder viewed in Finder window.

Were I creating the EFI for your Asus laptop, it would start like this:

View attachment 13493 Amended EFI folder contents, viewed in Finder window.

You config.plist contains a number of entries for kexts, SSDTs, Tools and Drivers that are no longer present or not used. These should be removed so the config is easier to read and not filled with useless entries.

You are using an old version of the AMD kernel patches, there are only 16 patches in the set you are using. The latest set of AMD kernel patches contains 22 patches. These need to be updated to work with the OC 0.9.8 release you are using to boot the system. You at least have the correct core-count set for the first 3 patches, in the new set you need to do this for the first 4 patches.

You have the Misc > Boot > Timeout entry set to '0'. This is fine when you have macOS up and running but not when you are first installing the OS. You should set this to 5 seconds or more, so you have a chance to see the OC boot screen and if necessary use the Drivers and Tools added to your OC setup.

Not sure what is going on with your NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 entries, as most are disabled. using the # (hash tag) entry in front of a Key disables the entry in OpenCore.

Boot argument npc=0x2000 should be npci=0x3000.

The MacPro7,1 SMBIOS is not correct for your laptop. I think you should be using a MacBookPro16,3 or 4 for your setup.

You should be using the correct UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries for the earliest version of macOS you want to run on this system, not '-1'. This is not recommended even by the OC developers.

View attachment 13494 APFS > MinDate and MiVersion entries.

I think that might be enough for you to be getting on with for now. Change your setup as recommended and then come back if you have any issues or questions.
Why not Imac pro SMBIOS?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS might be a good option, as it has a discrete GPU and built-in display.

I suggested the MacBookPro SMBIOS as it is a laptop, with all the usual AMD laptop issues. You know try the obvious first, then go out side the box if the obvious fails.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS might be a good option, as it has a discrete GPU and built-in display.

I suggested the MacBookPro SMBIOS as it is a laptop, with all the usual AMD laptop issues. You know try the obvious first, then go out side the box if the obvious fails.
True, however the laptop has a socketed 65 watts desktop CPU. I think the laptop SMBios may cap that CPU

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.