How to get HDR working?

bullerwins

AMD OS X Member
I have a LG Oled display and it has HDR. But when I toggle "High Dynamic Range" in display settings it doens't seem to send the HDR metadata as the display doens't switch to HDR mode and the colors are washed out. Anyone got HDR working?

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Does the tv show the 'HDR' pop-up top right when you activate it?

bullerwins

AMD OS X Member
Does the tv show the 'HDR' pop-up top right when you activate it?
No, it looks like its not sending the HDR metadata and switching to HDR mode on the TV. Works well on windows if I turn HDR on the windows settings or play a HDR movie with Media Player classic+madvr

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hm, so it isn't the cable either (presuming you're dual booting?) I have an LG oled too, but I run my Ryzentosh on a regular led monitor. So can't be much use to you. :) I asked because even in HDR on LG's you have some profile tweaks available... it could've been you were in some weird light mode. Hopefully someone can help you out!

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Try setting the color profile manually -----> go to the advanced display preferences > hit the color tab in the center > uncheck show profiles for this display only and then select the one starting with sRGB > then go back and toggle the HDR setting in display tab and see if it switches to HDR mode

bullerwins

AMD OS X Member
Try setting the color profile manually -----> go to the advanced display preferences > hit the color tab in the center > uncheck show profiles for this display only and then select the one starting with sRGB > then go back and toggle the HDR setting in display tab and see if it switches to HDR mode
Tried but it doens't toggle HDR mode on the TV. I tried the same process for every color profile that is available and its just washed out color in different ways.

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Tried but it doens't toggle HDR mode on the TV. I tried the same process for every color profile that is available and its just washed out color in different ways.
Try messing with the settings and options on your monitor with the button.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
I have no issue with 4K HDR content with my Samsung QLED properly registering and displaying the correct format in Windows or Big Sur, it just works. However, you will have to mess with the gamma settings on your LG manually to get the picture looking normal and not washed out. For me, I had to adjust the BT profile 1 notch (to +1) and the gamma was fixed.

Try swapping HDMI ports on your R 580 as unfortunately there is no hack or option available in Mac OS to for forcing HDR. As well load up an HDR YouTube video and see if that triggers your TV to enable HDR. Safari supports 4K HDR natively now and I must say the playback performance puts Windows to shame.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
I have no issue with 4K HDR content with my Samsung QLED properly registering and displaying the correct format in Windows or Big Sur, it just works. However, you will have to mess with the gamma settings on your LG manually to get the picture looking normal and not washed out. For me, I had to adjust the BT profile 1 notch (to +1) and the gamma was fixed.

Try swapping HDMI ports on your R 580 as unfortunately there is no hack or option available in Mac OS to for forcing HDR. As well load up an HDR YouTube video and see if that triggers your TV to enable HDR. Safari supports 4K HDR natively now and I must say the playback performance puts Windows to shame.
I have no such luck with my 2018 NU8000 Samsung TV. PS4 can output HDR, so can the builtin apps but HDR from MacOS is just slog-like, grey-ish contrastless image.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
I have no such luck with my 2018 NU8000 Samsung TV. PS4 can output HDR, so can the builtin apps but HDR from MacOS is just slog-like, grey-ish contrastless image.

Not sure why you all are having issues as I literally just plugged in the HDMI cable and turned the "black level" (what Samsung calle brightness ) to 0. Like I said in my original post, you HAVE to mess with YOUR TV's settings.

My TV Model is Samsung Q6DR49 (Canadian model, Q60R is the actual class)

IMG_0133.jpgIMG_0134.jpgIMG_0135.jpg

These next photos are from a Dobly Vision 4K 60FPS HDR YouTube video. Notice how perfect it looks (ignoring the iPhone compression). Again, this is default.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.