Help with Opencore error log

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
Hi Everyone...

Found out the hard way that I cannot update to Monterey due to my MSI board. For now I'm okay sticking with Big Sur. Prior to attempting that the Monterey install I upgraded to Opencore to 0.78. Followed the Dortania guide and everything visually and functionally works great after updating to Big Sur. 11.6.4

What's new this time around is the error txts appearing with each reboot after updating to Opencore 0.78. I'm not great and interpreting the logs. If you have time, I've attached the txt file to check out in the hopes I can modify or update my EFI folder. Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• opencore-2022-02-16-131727.txt
    256 KB · Views: 7

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
I reviewed the opencore guide line by line to make sure the config.plst and all files were updated. I ran the OC Validate in the auxiliary tools app and had these errors.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help

OCS: Missing key AssetTag, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key BankLocator, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key DeviceLocator, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key Manufacturer, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key PartNumber, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key SerialNumber, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key Size, context <Devices>!

OCS: Missing key Speed, context <Devices>!

Serialisation returns 8 errors!

Completed validating /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist in 2 ms.

Found 8 issues requiring attention.

OpenCore 0.78
Big Sure 11.6.4

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your Config.plist, so we can see what is happening.

Those items seem to be related to Memory Mapping. But none of those items are present in the OC 0.7.8 Sample.plist. So they shouldn't be seen as errors, if you used the ocvalidate from the Utilities folder for OC 0.7.8 (/OpenCore-0.7.8/Utilities/ocvalidate/ocvalidate).

Did you use the correct ocvalidate terminal command?

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
Post a copy of your Config.plist, so we can see what is happening.

Those items seem to be related to Memory Mapping. But none of those items are present in the OC 0.7.8 Sample.plist. So they shouldn't be seen as errors, if you used the ocvalidate from the Utilities folder for OC 0.7.8 (/OpenCore-0.7.8/Utilities/ocvalidate/ocvalidate).

Did you use the correct ocvalidate terminal command?
Thanks for looking into this. For the ocvalidate I just drag the command icon into s terminal window followed by my config.plst and that was the output.

I built the 0.78 from scratch and adjusted each line by hand following the guide.

I've attached the config.plst

Thanks again

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.4 KB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your Whole EFI folder. You have a number of entries and entities that shouldn't be in your AMD setup. Ones that are purely for Intel systems.

No point editing your config.plist if you have entities in your setup that don't belong.

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
Post a copy of your Whole EFI folder. You have a number of entries and entities that shouldn't be in your AMD setup. Ones that are purely for Intel systems.

No point editing your config.plist if you have entities in your setup that don't belong.
Thanks again for helping. I've attached my EFI folder

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
ACPI folder:
  1. Where did you get the SSDT-AMD-GODLIKE.aml table?
  2. Is it the motherboard's unpatched DSDT.aml, just renamed?
  3. I would recommend you remove ALL the SSDT's in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder. I don't think you need any of them.
  4. The one SSDT you don need is missing, that being SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, so your system has a fake EC and USB power settings, so macOS works.
Drivers folder:
  1. This is fine and as expected.
Kexts folder:
  1. While the kexts themselves are fine you don't need any of the sensor kexts while installing macOS. All they do is make things more difficult to troubleshoot. Personally I would remove the sensor kexts and just use those that are required for macOS to boot on your system.
  2. Keep it simple.
Resources folder:
  1. This is fine and as expected for use with OpenCanopy .
Tools folder:
  1. While not essential I always recommend people retain ClearNvram.efi and ResetNvram.efi in this folder, so they are available or use on the OC Boot screen.
  2. As current config's come with HideAuxillary option enabled, the tools don't appear on the boot screen until required, after the spacebar is pressed.
This is what your current EFI folder contains.
Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 21.44.01.png Current EFI folder contents.

This is what an EFI created for your system would contain.
Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 21.46.52.png Proposed EFI folder contents.

All that would be necessary now would be to make sure these changes were reflected in your config.plist. Easiest way to do that is to use ProperTree plist editor and the Clean Snapshot feature, it will then look at the OC folder selected and populate the config with the drivers, SSDT's, Kexts and Tools used in the OC folder.

You are using AppleALC.kext, so you don't need the Rename HDAS to HDEF patch in your config, as the kext deals with this issue.

Your X570 MB may need SetupVirtualMap disabled.
Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 21.52.03.png

The AMD patches have been set with the correct CPU core for your system (16 cores), so they are all good.

Once you are booting macOS you might want to look at changing Misc > Debug > Target from 67 to 3, so the OC debug files are no longer created.

Boot arguments all look good, assuming you have not enabled Above 4G Decode in your bios.

I have attached a revised EFI folder for you to try. Simply replace your current EFI folder (the whole folder) with the one below.

See how that boots.

This one doesn't have any errors when checked with OC Validate.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 8

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
ACPI folder:
  3. I would recommend you remove ALL the SSDT's in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder. I don't think you need any of them.
  4. The one SSDT you don need is missing, that being SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, so your system has a fake EC and USB power settings, so macOS works.
Drivers folder:
Kexts folder:
  1. While the kexts themselves are fine you don't need any of the sensor kexts while installing macOS. All they do is make things more difficult to troubleshoot. Personally I would remove the sensor kexts and just use those that are required for macOS to boot on your system.
  2. Keep it simple.
Resources folder:
Tools folder:
  1. While not essential I always recommend people retain ClearNvram.efi and ResetNvram.efi in this folder, so they are available or use on the OC Boot screen.
  2. As current config's come with HideAuxillary option enabled, the tools don't appear on the boot screen until required, after the spacebar is pressed.
View attachment 5198 Current EFI folder contents.

View attachment 5199 Proposed EFI folder contents.

All that would be necessary now would be to make sure these changes were reflected in your config.plist. Easiest way to do that is to use ProperTree plist editor and the Clean Snapshot feature, it will then look at the OC folder selected and populate the config with the drivers, SSDT's, Kexts and Tools used in the OC folder.

You are using AppleALC.kext, so you don't need the Rename HDAS to HDEF patch in your config, as the kext deals with this issue.

View attachment 5200

The AMD patches have been set with the correct CPU core for your system (16 cores), so they are all good.

Once you are booting macOS you might want to look at changing Misc > Debug > Target from 67 to 3, so the OC debug files are no longer created.

Boot arguments all look good, assuming you have not enabled Above 4G Decode in your bios.

I have attached a revised EFI folder for you to try. Simply replace your current EFI folder (the whole folder) with the one below.

See how that boots.

This one doesn't have any errors when checked with OC Validate
ACPI folder:
Drivers folder:
Kexts folder:
  2. Keep it simple.
Resources folder:
Tools folder:
View attachment 5198 Current EFI folder contents.

View attachment 5199 Proposed EFI folder contents.

View attachment 5200

See how that boots.

This one doesn't have any errors when checked with OC Validate.
Wow!!! Thank you very much Edhawk for taking the time to explain things and modify the EFI folder.

All your assumptions were correct. I tried to further customize things by generating my own SSDT. Normally I used SSDT-EC-USBX.aml but thought I would take a stab at making my own.

Things booted up with no errors at all (and quicker). Everything you detailed makes sense...I've been using opencore for a while, but still trying to understand things and how they work.

So taking that time to explain things really helped and truly appreciated!

Thanks again!!

Cheers Edhawk

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.