Hello good people

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
I'm V. from Romania, long story shor, i had "created" a hackintosh some time ago when i had an i7 870, 16GB ram, GTX 780, the works, all went fine. I still have th machine but i use it for other purposes (mainly work on VS). So, in the meantime, i managed to buy a second-hand mid-2011 mac mini with the specs from the signature, which of course now it's obsolete (or vintage) from apple's point of view and more recently i bought an incomplete Power Mac G5 which i managed to make it work (no hdd, but i've added the hdd from the mac mini which i've "upgraded" with an 480GB SATA SSD and bought some DDR1 ram sticks but for now only managet to get some of those running to a total of 3GB). I intend to "upgrade" memory on mini mac as well to 2x8GB DDR3 (probably 1333Mhz, the ones i have now are 2x4GB DDR3 running at 1600Mhz).

After this "short" introduction, considering that both my "mac's" are obsolete, thought to create a hackintosh out of my current Ryzen desktop (along with Windows 10 Pro and Debian Linux). First question would be, does the 1080Ti still work with the latest OSX ? (from what i've read so far, most people switcth to AMD but i'm happy with my 1080Ti so i don't intend to change it in the near future).

Thank you!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
Welcome to AMD OS X. Your 1080Ti is supported but only as high as 10.13.x (High Sierra). Take a look here for more information, https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/nvidia-gpu.html#pascal-series-gtx-10xx
Thanks Shaneee! Well, if that's the last version supporting my videocard, i can assume there's no point in creating a hackintosh on my machine as High Sierra is also the last version supported on the mac mini and it's quite fast but the only issue is that there are no more updates, installing XCode and any other app's will have to be done outside App Store. I might give it a shot though to make some comparison between the mac mini and the hackintosh though.

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
Alright, time for a small update. Managed to install High Sierra on my Ryzen machine (on a 25GB SATA3 SSD) and it sure flies on boot (i can only imagine how it goes on an NVME drive). However, i've got a slight issue and that would be (as you all might suspect) the video card (Asus ROG something 1080Ti). So, i managed to install a webdriver, OSX reports that it's using the nvidia driver and not the default one but only reports something like 3MB of ram and everything visual works sooooo slow (not to mention youtube and chrome appears to refresh/update it's current window constantly). If you have any hints, you're more than welcome, in the meantime i'll keep googling and try stuff when i have some time (having a 3 years old daughter kind of messes up you free time).

Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to mention that trying to install the nvidia drivers from nvidia's website doesn't work as it doesnt recognize (?!) High Sierra being High Sierra or it might be multiple versions of High Sierra. Oh well...

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@Viorelu Go into your Config.plist and make sure that the SecureBootModel is set to Disabled as the NVidia Web Drivers wont work if it’s not.

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
Hi @AudioGod, thank you for your reply! Do you refer to the SecureBootModel in Root -> Misc -> Security ? If that's the case, it's already set to disabled and for boot-args i have "-v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 alcid=1 nvda_drv_vrl=1" (if it helps in any way).

The actual message i get when trying to install the nvidia driver from their website is "Mac OS version 10.13.6 (17G14042) is not supported with this package..." which makes me wonder if i "selected" the correct High Sierra version to install (i remember having 2 or 3 versions, one of them being beta or something)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
Thank you kind Sir! It works great! Now (if i'm permitted) a last question with something that is a bit annoying. So as my signature says, i've got a couple of "computers" (powermac g5, mac mini, this hackintosh with linux and windows as well and a raspberry pi). All these are using the same display (which has only one display port and two HDMI's) but an HDMI KVM is on the way, so i also bought an USB sharing kind of KVM so i can use ony keyboard/mouse on all of them. Everything works nice & dandy except on the hackintosh.
Are you aware of any kext or something for this to work ? It's a device called ATEN US424.

I'll google around in the meantime and also check the bootlog as i think i saw something about a hub or something while booting (still have the debug opencore thing on the usb as for some reason, the SSD sata where i installed the osx is not displayed as an option in bios to boot from)

Thank you again!

Viorelu

AMD OS X Member
Update: So, video works (thanks to Shaneee), KVM works (just changed the USB port with another one that worked OOTB in OSX) and the OSX SSD now appears in the bios boot devices. Conclusion: one ryzen hackintosh user happy. Thanks guys !!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.