Hello from Michigan!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Hey all.

A few years back, I had built a desktop PC on Intel's X99 platform and then learned about hackintoshes. It seemed like the best of both worlds: continue using windows for gaming and boot into MacOS for music production and video editing with Logic and Final Cut. So I followed instructions online and created a dualboot system. It was a fun project!

However, at the time, the compatibility issues and problems I was having with sound were frustrating enough for me to call it quits and continue using my Macbook Pro (then a 15 inch) for my creative needs and the X99 PC for gaming. There were just too many limiting factors about the system that I already built, Since then, I parted out and sold the X99 PC and now just using a MacbookPro 13 for my everyday browsing and light music and video production. However, because I'm staying at home these days, I've developed an itch for PC gaming (light gaming, nothing super serious or competitive, but definitely higher res than 1080p) and my creative needs have increased (recording/producing music and editing 4k video) and the little 13 inch MacbookPro isn't holding up too well for that.

Now that it's been a few years and the knowledge base around hackintosh has grown so much, I think it's time to revisit the idea of a dual boot hackintosh system. However, this time, I'm starting from scratch and trying to feel out if it's the right time to jump back in, and if a Ryzen based system will be right for me for a best performance for the money dual boot system!

• I have a Louqe Ghost S1 SFF case that I bought a year or two ago but never built anything in. If possible, I'd love to build a mini-ITX system in here that will meet my needs. Performance wise, I won't be going with the highest end cpu or gpu, so I'm not too worried about thermals, but I know motherboards in this form factor might now have all the expansion slots I need for what I want to do.
  • I currently record music (guitar, very seldom vocals) using the Universal Audio Arrow Thunderbolt 3 interface, but again, open to a different interface if Thunderbolt compatibility issues would be more easily resolved.
I'll be exploring the forums and what's been done already, but either way, looking forward to potentially starting a fun stay at home project!

Cheers, all!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi there,

miniITX is certainly possible, the ASRock X570 ITX has Thunderbolt 3 onboard. Hotplug is not working but others are using it as long as the device is connected during boot. That said for me the controller is causing a reboot on wakeup from sleep so I had to deactivate it - I'm just using it to connect my USB Type-C display. Behaviour might be different if a TB device is connected.

Currently Gaming performance is lacking on AMD under MacOS, the underlying issue is not yet known or any way to fix it. For me it seems 15-25% lower than on Windows on the same machine. But CPU performance is what it should be (and the main reason I bought Ryzen).

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Hi there,

miniITX is certainly possible, the ASRock X570 ITX has Thunderbolt 3 onboard. Hotplug is not working but others are using it as long as the device is connected during boot. That said for me the controller is causing a reboot on wakeup from sleep so I had to deactivate it - I'm just using it to connect my USB Type-C display. Behaviour might be different if a TB device is connected.

Currently Gaming performance is lacking on AMD under MacOS, the underlying issue is not yet known or any way to fix it. For me it seems 15-25% lower than on Windows on the same machine. But CPU performance is what it should be (and the main reason I bought Ryzen).

Hello! Thanks so much for your input! Regarding TB3, my devices usually just stay plugged in, so no hotplugging shouldn't be too much of an issue. Really any TB3 would be a cherry on top. Feels good to be researching all of this, hackintoshing has certiainly come a long way!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You can check the link in my signature to the thread in the old forum. There were other users using it for audio work commenting, might be helpful for you ti make a decision.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
You can check the link in my signature to the thread in the old forum. There were other users using it for audio work commenting, might be helpful for you ti make a decision.
By the way, I ended up going with the x570 ITX and Ryzen 3600 route! I am still working out some kinks and doing some post install work, and I am not positive that my audio interface is going to end up working out... but even so, it has been quite the fun hobby project! Thanks for pointing me to your thread!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.