Hello from Lancashire, in the UK!

wheeljack

AMD OS X Member
Good evening everyone!

Just recently moved to an AMD Processor after MANY MANY years on Intel and so far it's going quite well.
Potentially may have to get some better quality DDR4 and get the beast running a little faster but outside of that if performs great.

Only niggle I have is coming from Intel I was used to quite low temps, and boy does this beast run hot in comparison!

Quick shout out to @AudioGod - I was over the moon to find out he had AMD guides, as his Intel guides have helped me a great deal.
So thanks for that sir!

Hopefully time permitting I will be able to be a bit more active on here, and try and help others where I can.
Cheers for listening!

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Welcome to the AMD side of life.
What are your idol and load temps and what are you using for cooling?

wheeljack

AMD OS X Member
Welcome to the AMD side of life.
What are your idol and load temps and what are you using for cooling?
Just realised I hadn't put that in my sig. Oops.
Same as yourself - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360. Looking at the AMD Power Gadget I've seen it get as low as 28. Windows can be high 30s on idle.

Whats the best way to measure it? And should I do it on the Mac, Linux or Windows side?

I haven't done any overclocking, the only thing I have is XMP set on for my Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz ram.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
To monitor your CPU on MacOS you can use the kext and app from here: https://github.com/trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor

I guess you didn't use any recent Intel CPUs then, they run with up to ~230W now in PL2 on the higher core counts... compare that to ~130W for a 16 Core Ryzen ;)

slehc84

AMD OS X Member
Good evening everyone!

Just recently moved to an AMD Processor after MANY MANY years on Intel and so far it's going quite well.
Potentially may have to get some better quality DDR4 and get the beast running a little faster but outside of that if performs great.

Only niggle I have is coming from Intel I was used to quite low temps, and boy does this beast run hot in comparison!

Quick shout out to @AudioGod - I was over the moon to find out he had AMD guides, as his Intel guides have helped me a great deal.
So thanks for that sir!

Hopefully time permitting I will be able to be a bit more active on here, and try and help others where I can.
Cheers for listening!
Welcome aboard a great friendly bunch here.
Good evening everyone!

So thanks for that sir!

Cheers for listening!
Welcome aboard the man from Lancs.
Its a great friendly knowledgable group.
Hope you enjoy your stay

wheeljack

AMD OS X Member
To monitor your CPU on MacOS you can use the kext and app from here: https://github.com/trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor

I guess you didn't use any recent Intel CPUs then, they run with up to ~230W now in PL2 on the higher core counts... compare that to ~130W for a 16 Core Ryzen ;)
Core i9 9900K is processor before this one. Think I had it at 23 idle? Can't remember load temp but it wasn't anywhere near what this beast gets up to when its hammered. Corsair AiO cooler for that. I've noticed idle is quite high on Windows and not Mac so may need to see whats going on there. iCue was running on startup, so I've turned that off and see if it makes much difference. Been at work on it all day, which is mainly browser based, and I do some stats with Excel/Access too. Current minimum is 37C, from 8am this morning and it WAS on 43 when I looked but its dropped down again to 39 as I watched. I did make a change on power settings though to tell it to use 0% as a minimum so that may help me a bit. Before that it was quite a high voltage and temp constantly - now at least it seems to move with whatever im doing on the PC.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Core i9 9900K is processor before this one. Think I had it at 23 idle? Can't remember load temp but it wasn't anywhere near what this beast gets up to when its hammered. Corsair AiO cooler for that. I've noticed idle is quite high on Windows and not Mac so may need to see whats going on there. iCue was running on startup, so I've turned that off and see if it makes much difference. Been at work on it all day, which is mainly browser based, and I do some stats with Excel/Access too. Current minimum is 37C, from 8am this morning and it WAS on 43 when I looked but its dropped down again to 39 as I watched. I did make a change on power settings though to tell it to use 0% as a minimum so that may help me a bit. Before that it was quite a high voltage and temp constantly - now at least it seems to move with whatever im doing on the PC.
9 cores vs 16. It’s a no contest if you break it down core for core vs watt for watt.
A overclocked 9900k consumes more watts then a 5950x does all day long.
I think your 23c idle reading is a fake reading if you think about it (sensor out of place) or was taken on the coldest of cold days with all your heating in the house switched off a few days beforehand.(unless you live near Santa claws..😂😂 (jokes))
Idol temp of a stock 9900k thats a good bit of fabric is always around 5 or 6c above room temp.

Ryzens definitely have a different and higher idol temp compared to a 9990k but that’s just the Ryzen way. You get used to it plus the load temps are still lower then a 9900k with a OC at full load. Getting your head around PBO to overclock instead of all core past single core peak on a Intel takes some getting used to too,

Last edited:

OG Deltwin

The FX Guy
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Good evening everyone!

So thanks for that sir!

Cheers for listening!
welcome!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.