GUIDE: OpenCL & Metal performance increase on 5700xt

iamso78

AMD OS X Member
Following this guide on Youtube (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any hardware failure, use at your own risk).
Guide is pretty simple inject W5700X properties under DeviceProperties, performance increase gain in Geekbench as following (havent done real world testing eg. FCPX, Davinci Resolve).

Hardware: PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT

default-openCL.png

default-metal.png

After
w5700x-openCL.png
w5700x-metal.png

Files

Last edited:

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Following this guide on Youtube (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any hardware failure, use at your own risk).
Guide is pretty simple inject W5700X properties under DeviceProperties, performance increase gain in Geekbench as following (havent done real world testing eg. FCPX, Davinci Resolve).

Hardware: PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT

View attachment 508

View attachment 509

After
View attachment 510
View attachment 511

Files

Glad you got things working, however the video is utterly useless as there is no option for subs and the ones that are hard coded are obviously not English.

iamso78

AMD OS X Member
Glad you got things working, however the video is utterly useless as there is no option for subs and the ones that are hard coded are obviously not English.

Is not that hard, even if you dont understand it the language, the video itself show you what to do.
On google drive you find the plist containing the dict to add under Device Property for Opencore config.plist.
You then use Hackintool find your device path for your graphic card eg. PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) and just rename it.
There 3 PowerPlayTable settings on google drive you can play around with parameter PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable.

FIY EFI Verison & ROM value can be found using GPU-Z under Windows or it may display under Graphics/Displays in system info, i believe these values are purely aesthetic i.e. wont make any difference.

In short:
1) copy paste dictionary
2) rename device path, EFI Verison & ROM value
3) modify or delete PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable value if you wish, delete MacOS will use it default drivers value.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.18.17 pm.png

Last edited:

iamso78

AMD OS X Member
Does this work for the non-XT version of the card?

I don’t have non XT to test, but GPU die wise is the same Navi10 minus few compute units, don’t see why it won’t work. Seen plently of ppl flashing XT bios on non XT cards.

sprl

AMD OS X Member
So I used it, and yes, the performance gain on Geekbench is amazing, but on Davinci I don't see any, actually I think is a bit slower on render, but marginal, so it might be just because of GPU temperature... not sure, but will keep playing!

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Worked here too... Got a Benchmarkboost from 42xxx to 74xxx. I just replaced the Powerplaytable with my own settings. See this.

But.. I get from time to time Graphic glitches.. not very often... but I got them.. because of this, and I really appreciate more fps, I won't use this boost any longer :/
Update: Will check it once more...

Last edited:

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yeap. Works like intended.
What power setting have you used by default in your w5700x.plist? I have not replaced the contents of the P_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable. I left it as it was in the w5700x.plist file.

Is it the 1, 2(+) or 3(++) powertable setting?

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 11.42.16 πμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 11.42.16 πμ.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

iamso78

AMD OS X Member
Yeap. Works like intended.
What power setting have you used by default in your w5700x.plist? I have not replaced the contents of the P_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable. I left it as it was in the w5700x.plist file.

Is it the 1, 2(+) or 3(++) powertable setting?
most aggressive OC settings ++, real life appllcation doesnt make any difference, probably saw 1-2fps increase in Total war warhammer benchmark, still unplayable.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
most aggressive OC settings ++, real life appllcation doesnt make any difference, probably saw 1-2fps increase in Total war warhammer benchmark, still unplayable.

Is it safe to keep the card at the ++ settings? Or should I drop it to the low one?

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have the MSI rx5700xt Mech OC. So I changed also the device name in the w5700x.plist. Also I added my correct efi firmware and rom.

My only problem (which I had even before this mod) is that the mouse cursor sometimes "jumps" and skips.

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 4.39.33 μμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 4.39.33 μμ.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 6.05.07 μμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-06-17, 6.05.07 μμ.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 50

iamso78

AMD OS X Member
I have the MSI rx5700xt Mech OC. So I changed also the device name in the w5700x.plist. Also I added my correct efi firmware and rom.

My only problem (which I had even before this mod) is that the mouse cursor sometimes "jumps" and skips.

I deleted the device property, makes no difference in real life application. I never had mouse cursor jump or skips issues ever on Hackintosh (using MX master)

sprl

AMD OS X Member
Same here, FCPX and Davinci have no impact with this, Only the benchmark.. witch makes me doubt more about this benchmarks...

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Before:

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 09.34.26.pngScreenshot 2020-06-28 at 21.01.24.png

After:

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 09.34.36.pngScreenshot 2020-06-28 at 21.12.58.png
I don't think there's much reason to edit the power play settings unless you want to change the zero rpm behaviour, since there is no performance benefit.

McFly

AMD OS X Member
Thank you, this looks to work. Geekbench 5 scores more in line with what is supposed to be. Will try this on FCP X and other stuff as well. :)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.