Guidance would be appreciated.

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
Hello there!

I've always been interested in running Mac OSX on custom built computers and after switching to the Ryzen platform when it came out, my interest skyrocketed.

However, I'm running into some issues with my current setup getting it to work.

I spent about 20+ hours:
  • Researching my hardware and known issues
  • Researching which version of Mac OSX I should be using
  • Going over the Dartonia guide with a fine tooth comb
  • Troubleshooting boot issues and install issues
  • Ensuring I had the right kexts
  • Ensuring I had the right patches enabled in config.plist
  • I spent a lot of time in my config.plist
  • Misc things that are a blur to me
I don't like to admit it but I kind of gave up as it seemed to be a bit above my skillset.
I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

The farthest I got was attempting to install. However, the install would time out. The logging system was not very helpful.

My current specs:
AMD Ryzen 3700x
1080ti (I chose High Sierra as I saw this generation of card is supported. If this one is not, it may explain why I had issues)
Crosshair VI Hero X370
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ 32gb
Silicon Power NVMe / Silicon Power SSD / Seagate Hybrid HDD

I'm just reaching out in case someone see's something with my setup that wont work so I don't waste anymore time.

I would post my work however the laptop I was using to do the work required a refresh. I'm currently at square one.

Any help, advice or the like would be greatly appreciated but not expected.

Thank you very much for time!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
High Sierra is indeed what you'll need with the 1080Ti. Based on what you're saying you'll need to alter the APFS settings in the config to allow High Sierra to boot.

In the Config navigate to UEFI -> APFS and change the MinDate and MinVersion value to -1 and it should boot assuming the rest of the config is setup correctly.

If you're still having issues feel free to upload your EFI folder and I'll take a look.

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
High Sierra is indeed what you'll need with the 1080Ti. Based on what you're saying you'll need to alter the APFS settings in the config to allow High Sierra to boot.

In the Config navigate to UEFI -> APFS and change the MinDate and MinVersion value to -1 and it should boot assuming the rest of the config is setup correctly.

If you're still having issues feel free to upload your EFI folder and I'll take a look.
Thank you for the response!

I'm going to try again here in a few days when I have the time. I believe that is the one thing I did not do, was alter the mindate and minversion to -1.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for the response!

I'm going to try again here in a few days when I have the time. I believe that is the one thing I did not do, was alter the mindate and minversion to -1.

Try that and let me know if you run into any issues.

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
Okay!
I got some time, and I think I have everything right.
Here's what I've got.

EDIT:
Here's the RIGHT config.plist I've compiled.

Tried another install. Ran into this error log during install, I'm analyzing it now.

Attachments

• config.plist
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Installer Log 3-Nov-2021.txt
    112.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
I was able to get it installed after some trial and error:
-I had a kext I did not need
-I needed the NVMe kext recommended for non apple kexts
-I needed the drive formatted to APFS(?)

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
Well I've run into a few issues, I may post my EFI here.
  1. Installed web drivers for my version of High Sierra - Still laggy UI etc
  2. Attempted to load an older version, now it boots but at login I see the cursor blinking to enter password. Keyboard and mouse do not work, but are powered.
I thought about updating to the latest version of High Sierra (I believe I'm on like 10.13.6 (17g66))
I tried updating it but after doing it, I had to re-install.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
Thank you!
I will try just that.
I have tried using the guide to update the High Sierra Build but when I attempted it the first time it basically destroyed my macos install. It would attempt to boot, go back to opencore selection and then freeze.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you!
I will try just that.
I have tried using the guide to update the High Sierra Build but when I attempted it the first time it basically destroyed my macos install. It would attempt to boot, go back to opencore selection and then freeze.

You should just need to go to System Preferences and run the update. Kernel patches etc should work as is for updated versions.

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
Started with a fresh install. Immediately updated through system preferences. Let it do it’s reboot and software install. macOS boot up selected. It’s frozen again.

EDIT: I'm able to get into recovery however.

Last edited:

stroobz

AMD OS X Member
After a few hours of tweaking and trying to update I just can’t get it to update properly. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.