Green lines on boot

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
Hello! A few months ago, I successfully installed MacOS 12.2.1 on my computer, but after first reboot system no longer boots. After the logo, all I see is a black screen and green lines. I couldn’t fix that. After a while I tried to configure OpenCore again, but the problem reappeared. What am I doing wrong?

Full boot video (MEGA)

My PC specs:
  • CPU - FX8350
  • GPU - ARMOR MSI RX570 8GB
  • Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P rev2
  • HDD - Seagate Barracuda 720

BIOS:
  • CSM - disabled
  • XHCI - enabled
  • EHCI - enabled
  • IOMMU - enabled
  • Sata type - AHCI

BIOS Images

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi there,

Welcome to the group!
It's always nice to see another AMD system going.

Okay so I had a look at your EFI - and immediately I came across some issues.
I hope you don't mind my explanations.

1) I see you've only got SSDT-EC installed. However I you also have a GenericXHCI & XLNC kext installed.
Current Opencore methods use USBInjectAll or USBMap. But if it works for you we can leave this.

2) There's no device properties set for the RX580 GPU under PCIRoot and no settings set for the RX580 under the NVRAM.

3) You have VboxHFS.efi installed when OpenHFSPlus.efi should be used.

4) There's no SMCAMDProcessor kext or SMCSuperIO kexts installed for the AMD chip support.

Luckily I relish a challenge so I have gone ahead and built an EFI for you based on my findings.
I've updated the EFI to the latest OC 0.8.2. so I think it should work. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
Oh thanks a lot, but unfortunately it still doesn't work.
Strange, but I have never seen similar settings in other EFIs for FX systems (SMC*.kext and RX GPU configuration on DeviceProperties)...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay. In that case disable the SMCAMDProcessor and SMCSuperIO kext and see how it works.

You’re welcome!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
I update system via MacOS Installer with Edhawk's EFI, but I still have green lines. Maybe it's Lilu and WhateverGreen beta issue or my VBIOS?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Questions:
  1. Do the green lines appear during the system booting macOS and when you have booted to the desktop, or just during the boot section?
  2. How are you connecting the Hack to the Display, i.e. which connector on the RX570 and which connector on the display are you using?
  3. Are you using any adapters, i.e. DVI to VGA or similar?
  4. Have you previously/ever patched the VBIOS on your RX570?

The OC 0.8.1 EFI for my AMD FX system uses the 1.6.0 and 1.5.9 releases of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext respectively.

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
Questions:
  1. Do the green lines appear during the system booting macOS and when you have booted to the desktop, or just during the boot section?
  2. How are you connecting the Hack to the Display, i.e. which connector on the RX570 and which connector on the display are you using?
  3. Are you using any adapters, i.e. DVI to VGA or similar?
  4. Have you previously/ever patched the VBIOS on your RX570?

The OC 0.8.1 EFI for my AMD FX system uses the 1.6.0 and 1.5.9 releases of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext respectively.
Answers:
1. I have green lines on the login window.
2. I use DVI-D connector. I have the same problem using HDMI.
3. No.
4. No.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Can you post a copy of your IOReg. I want to see what your system is showing in respect of the Framebuffer and display connector setup for your RX570.

Use the copy of IORegistryExplorer attached below, Follow these steps when making a copy of your IOReg.

How to Make a Copy of IOReg (Note 1)
1. IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy As…. (no extension required)
2. Open file to verify (Note 2)
3. Attach to post as a zipped/compressed folder

Installation
1, Open Downloads/IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3
2. Drag IORegistryExplorer to Applications

Notes
1. An IOReg.txt is not useful. It is not a "Copy of IOReg." Do not attach .txt files.
2. IOReg must open the file. If TextEdit opens, See Note 1.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3.zip
    272.8 KB · Views: 5

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
How can I run this app on my system? I need another gpu or can I start system without gpu or gui? In MacOS Recovery this app displayed incorrectly

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Boot with nv_disable=1 boot argument, this will make your Nvidia GPU run in Vesa mode. You should then be able to boot to your desktop, where you can run the installer for the Nvidia Web Drivers,

When you next boot, remove the nv_disable=1 boot argument.

Here is an screenshot from the Dortania guide related to Nvidia boot arguments.

View attachment 6399
Ed, he doesn't have an Nvidia card, he has an AMD RX570.
Maybe that's the issue! He has to remove the Nvidia arguments from his boot-arg.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Answers:
1. I have green lines on the login window.
2. I use DVI-D connector. I have the same problem using HDMI.
3. No.
4. No.
I am thinking maybe the green lines could be a problem with your AMD GPU. It could happen if the chips are somehow damaged or is the vicinity of high humidity.
A good idea would be to try to boot into Windows and run some tests or a get copy of Linux to test out the card.

Another thing also is to change your system OS Type to Other OS as I just noticed in your posted BIOS screens above has been set to Windows.

OleSTEEP

AMD OS X Member
At the moment, there are no NVIDIA boot parameters in my EFI. I also ran some tests on my RX570 and found it to be fully functional. Changing the OS Type setting in the BIOS has no effect.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I posted that response in the wrong thread, Doh!

I have deleted the post.

Please accept my apologies for having a brain fart!

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I posted that response in the wrong thread, Doh!

I have deleted the post.

Please accept my apologies for having a brain fart!
No worries my man!

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
At the moment, there are no NVIDIA boot parameters in my EFI. I also ran some tests on my RX570 and found it to be fully functional. Changing the OS Type setting in the BIOS has no effect.
Alright this issue is a bit baffling for me at the moment. I've done some searches and it seems its a fairly common issue for AMD and Nvidia cards.

Okay I know this sounds weird but try this. Go to Windows and once you log in, try to press Control + Shift + Windows + b. This should reset the drivers (and possibly memory/controller of the GPU).

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
@OleSTEEP

Okay one more thing to try. I've created a new EFI based upon my current B550 which works with Monterey 12.4.
I've already adjusted for your cores. Give it a try (but you'll need to add your UUID, ROM and serials back in).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34 MB · Views: 5
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.