GPU poor performance, is it because of Hackintosh?

silvergraphs

AMD OS X Member
Hello friends, as the title says, I notice that the performance of my GPU is much worse in macOS than in Windows, even when using programs and others in macOS it is relatively fluid but it shows a bit strange. As if there was a loss of performance. I assumed this was for the hertz difference on Windows (75hz) vs. macOS (60hz) but I managed to patch this up and achieve 75hz on macOS. Still I keep noticing that performance is worse.

I leave the comparisons with Geekbench, in OpenCL tests results are very different, what may be causing the problem?
U can view hardware im using for this Hackintosh on my signature.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4
CPU
Single-Core Score: 959
Multi-Core Score: 5257

Compute (Metal)
Metal Score: 32018

Compute (OpenCL)
OpenCL Score: 24296

Windows 1909
CPU
Single-Core Score: 917
Multi-Core Score: 5092

Compute (Vulkan)
Vulkan Score: 39140

Compute (OpenCL)
OpenCL Score: 40004

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You can try the RadeonBoost.kext, that enables SMUFirmware loading again which Apple disabled to fix bugs with Vega cards fan control...

silvergraphs

AMD OS X Member
You can try the RadeonBoost.kext, that enables SMUFirmware loading again which Apple disabled to fix bugs with Vega cards fan control...
Vulkan new score 33858, and OpenCL new score 26461
I notice a slight improvement, thanks

viper69

AMD OS X Member
I've noticed that the GUI isn't as fluid as it should be on my AMD Hackintosh. I have two Hackintoshes one is a Intel 7980XE and the new one is a AMD 3950X, both with Radeon VII GPU's connected to a 144Hz monitor using RadeonBoost. All animations with the Intel hack are extremely smooth and fluid while the AMD hack just feels a little laggy. The best I can describe it as is the difference between running my monitor at 60Hz vs 144Hz. The odd thing is that not all animations or window movements seems to exhibit the issue. Both systems have identical Geekbench Metal scores, over 100k, yet something just feels off with the AMD system. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the issue, but nothing has made a difference. If someone has any idea on what's causing this issue I'd love to hear from you.

viper69

AMD OS X Member
As a follow up I noticed that the WindowServer process has about twice the CPU utilization on my AMD Hackintosh then my Intel Hackintosh. The lag I'm noticing is when the WindowServer process exceeds 100%. While still not perfect I was able to reduce the lag/utilization on the the AMD build by turning on "Reduce Transparency" in the Accessibility/Display settings.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you have the AMD Power Gadget open? The newest version has a new drawing routine that produces quite some load for the process itself and the WindowsServer.

viper69

AMD OS X Member
No, but AMD Power Gadget does add approx. a 5% constant utilization to the WindowsServer process on my 3950X. In my testing my 7980XE has approx. 40% less utilization with the WindowsServer process than my 3950X. Turning on "Reduce Transparency" with the AMD hack drops the WindowsServer utilization by approx. 25%, making things quite a bit better. I can only assume that it's largely due to the fact that WindowsServer isn't optimized for AMD processors for obvious reasons, but this issue probably isn't very noticeable unless you're running a high refresh rate monitor and even at that is only slightly noticeable in the rare cases that WindowsServer exceeds 100% utilization. I've found that dragging Safari around the screen while on its default transparent landing page is the easiest way to spike the WindowsServer process.

Jae

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the suggestion, now the performance of the GPU is generally better.
Just one thing, I am tempted to try to run Minecraft but the framerate is still bad, any suggestions to improve that? (Yeah, I know, MacOS isn't made to play but I just want to try to see)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try adding this device property to your GPUs path using OpenCore.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 15.07.34.png

Jae

AMD OS X Member
I don't really understand the @0,name part of your thing (sorry about that, just beginning).
I went on the Vanilla guide (dortania.github.io) and the section "Fixing DRM". I then added the shikigva=128 part (see image attached) but it doesn't fix anything.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 18.17.26.png

bob

AMD OS X Member
I think you should have change smbios to iMac19,1 , probably get better result not like this in windows but better then now

Jae

AMD OS X Member
I think you should have change smbios to iMac19,1 , probably get better result not like this in windows but better then now
I just tried that and only got an improvement of 1-2FPS.
Funny thing: Leage Of Legends runs with a minimum framerate of 130FPS with the same config, same machine (on MacOS).

Edit: now, for some reason, RadeonBoost.kext makes the screen blank at startup so I had to remove it.
Edit 2: downloaded RadeonBoost.kext from another forum, added it with propertree and rebooted and it works again.
Edit 3: disabled it again since it introduced lots of lag when opening any built-in app (settings, app store...).

Last edited:

silvergraphs

AMD OS X Member
I found this. This causes any problem?
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.49.39.png

silvergraphs

AMD OS X Member
And it is normal that less Kext appear than I have installed? I added them to the OC / Kexts folder, and also in the config.plist with OC Snapshot with ProperTree. but when opening in Hackintool they don't appear
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.52.56.png

silvergraphs

AMD OS X Member
Try adding this device property to your GPUs path using OpenCore.

View attachment 653

I added this and i changed the PCIe Gen from Auto to Gen3 in my BIOS.
Also apply "Reduce transparency" that I recommend viper69, and I notice an improvement, although the fluidity that is in Windows is still not.

Jae

AMD OS X Member
After some testing on different apps & games, it appears that only OpenGL is really slow (less than 20 frames per second).
Does anyone knows a kext to have better performances in OpenGL apps?
Thanks.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.