GPU Performance Improved

agent2

Donator
Donator
Good Stuff @Shaneee! Onwards and upwards!

xslr

AMD OS X Member
Ran a Geekbench 5 Metal test before and after patching and it went from 49525 to 50406. Seriously, it's amazing that patching can squeeze out more performance! Thanks for your hard work!
My configuration is the same as you. Can you share your EFI?

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My configuration is the same as you. Can you share your EFI?

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week at work. I'll see what I can do, will have to edit out my serial and motherboard id and stuff. But it's a great hardware combo, it runs rock solid. I'll message you once I got round to it (or are you REALLY waiting on it?) ;)

Carniphage

AMD OS X Member
Over the past few days we’ve been looking into why the GPU performance was lower on an AMD hackintosh and narrowed it down to one patch. After many tests and reboots we can now say the issue has been solved. Patches have been updated on the AMD OS X GitHub.

https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

Enjoy
~Shaneee

Oh. My. Goodness.

I knew that my Radeon 7 was capable of a great deal more performance.
But despite my best efforts, benchmarks like Unigine Heaven, it was scoring around 30-40fps.
This patch has easily doubled the frame rate.

Excellent work.

kn225

AMD OS X Member
This is amazing!!!

Loading WoW and using Activity Monitor I can notice that all cores are being used a bit as expected but the GPU load was around 50% for the 480 and 30% for the 5700, with about 30 FPS in both cases. That was catastrophic compared to Windows. Even changing settings to lowest or not the difference was minimal.

Now after this patch performance is incredibly better, about matching what I have on Windows. These results are based on the 480 as I don't have the 5700 anymore.

THANK YOU very much for this. I only use Windows to game and this may actually finally allow me to play on the Mac again.

Also, DP audio issues as noted by others, but I don't care, I'll use a USB headset anyway.

--Edit--
Forgot to mention one thing. On certain areas of OS X I can notice a considerable improvement as well. For example, clicking on the "Downloads" folder for example with the "Fan" option, it is noticeable smoother than before. This is something I had noticed when comparing to my real Mac, but couldn't pinpoint what it was.

After the patch this is basically the same as the Mac. I'm very excited to figure which other areas of the OS may be affected by this.

Last edited:

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
My geekbench metal score has gone from 54638 to 48327 after upgrading my RX 580 to a RX 5600XT :(. Everything else is way faster, is this normal? This is on the new patches btw.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Sizable increase under Big Sur as expected though.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
My geekbench metal score has gone from 54638 to 48327 after upgrading my RX 580 to a RX 5600XT :(. Everything else is way faster, is this normal? This is on the new patches btw.
Don't worry about the GB score. It's not indicative of real world performance.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
How can I disable this patch? I'm getting a lot of Graphics Kernel crashes (Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffc) lately (Big Sur 11.1b1) and I feel it might be related.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@rajovo Github patches include both the original and my updated one. The default one is the original. Just change the Enabled value of the kernel patch. Make sure you've got both before disabling the new one as you wont be able to boot without it.

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
@rajovo Github patches include both the original and my updated one. The default one is the original. Just change the Enabled value of the kernel patch. Make sure you've got both before disabling the new one as you wont be able to boot without it.
I've noticed a huge difference with these patches. Much better overall performance in both OpenCL and OpenGL. This is a major breakthrough!

I've noticed there is a difference between the 38 k/patch and 39 k/patch versions. The 38 patch boosted the card over the normal levels as compared to windows. The latest 39 patch brings it right where it should be for a comparable Intel based Hackintosh.

Ryzen 9 5900X vs. Ryzen 5 5600X
Gigabyte B550 Auros Pro Wifi AC. F10 bios
RX 480 8GB reference card
Sandisk 480GB 2.5" SSD
DDR4 2400 MHz 32GB total

38 kernel patches
5900X 38 patches plist RX 480.png

39 Kernel Patches (latest experimental version)
5900X GB RX480 39 patches.png

I haven't noticed much difference in the CPU scores or performance levels between the 38 and 39 k/patches.

5900X vs 5600X. Geekbench 4
GB4 5900X vs 5600X.png

5900X vs 5600X GeekBench 5
GB5 5900X vs 5600X.png

I think I got a monster 5900X the single core results are incredible, factory auto settings in bios. I'm contemplating the bio upgrade to F11 to see if ti changes any performance levels.

Attachments

• GB5 5900X vs 5600X.png
    GB5 5900X vs 5600X.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 33

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
I've noticed a huge difference with these patches. Much better overall performance in both OpenCL and OpenGL. This is a major breakthrough!

I've noticed there is a difference between the 38 k/patch and 39 k/patch versions. The 38 patch boosted the card over the normal levels as compared to windows. The latest 39 patch brings it right where it should be for a comparable Intel based Hackintosh.

Ryzen 9 5900X vs. Ryzen 5 5600X
Gigabyte B550 Auros Pro Wifi AC. F10 bios
RX 480 8GB reference card
Sandisk 480GB 2.5" SSD
DDR4 2400 MHz 32GB total

38 kernel patches
View attachment 1918

39 Kernel Patches (latest experimental version)
View attachment 1919

I haven't noticed much difference in the CPU scores or performance levels between the 38 and 39 k/patches.

5900X vs 5600X. Geekbench 4
View attachment 1922

5900X vs 5600X GeekBench 5
View attachment 1921

I think I got a monster 5900X the single core results are incredible, factory auto settings in bios. I'm contemplating the bio upgrade to F11 to see if ti changes any performance levels.
OMG the 5900x single core score is almost twice of my 3900x's 1294 :-o

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Gigamaxx The experimental patches were merged into the base OpenCore branch. This contains both the old and the new patch. The old one is enabled by default as the one with better performance causes issues with HDMI/DP Audio. You can disable Algrey's and enable mine in the config.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
@Gigamaxx The experimental patches were merged into the base OpenCore branch. This contains both the old and the new patch. The old one is enabled by default as the one with better performance causes issues with HDMI/DP Audio. You can disable Algrey's and enable mine in the config.
I didn't realize you could enable/disable patches like this, that's so cool!

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee, any idea why my GPU memory stays at 2 GHz at all times (according to iStat and the fan noise)? GPU downclocks alright, VRAM doesn't. It used to do so. I have removed Radeonboost but that didn't fix it. The card (RX580) downclocks both GPU and VRAM in Windows as expected. Thanks!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@rajovo I'm not sure. Does this happen with the old patch too?

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
@rajovo I'm not sure. Does this happen with the old patch too?
Yes. It's not your patch's fault. Hm, IIRC I was getting proper VRAM downclocking at least in Catalina. Now I'm stuck with VRAM running at full 2 GHz at all times, with any combination of your, algrey's patch and Radeonboost.kext. I wouldn't mind that much but it does keep the fans audibly spinning, which is annyoing.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.