GPU Performance Improved

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Over the past few days we’ve been looking into why the GPU performance was lower on an AMD hackintosh and narrowed it down to one patch. After many tests and reboots we can now say the issue has been solved. Patches have been updated on the AMD OS X GitHub.

https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

Enjoy
~Shaneee

MagicMANX

AMD OS X Member
Hi

Installed on my rig, working with no problems so far, thanks for the awesome work!

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ran a Geekbench 5 Metal test before and after patching and it went from 49525 to 50406. Seriously, it's amazing that patching can squeeze out more performance! Thanks for your hard work!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@RyzeCooker Geekbench score was not really affected by this, your increase is more likely random fluctuation. But actual gaming performance has been more than doubled.

I switched the framebuffer and my Geekbench Metal score went from 50k to 95k without affecting gaming performance at all.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Wait, people actually game under macOS? (Not being snarky, I reboot to Windows because I think that's the greatest advantage of genuine dual booting ;) What is recommended? I do have Steam but most games I'm interested in are Windows-only anyway) I reran the test two times with no other running programs, so I don't think it is all that random, but I honestly didnt expect to see any real-world advantages.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don’t like dealing with Windows in the first place and most of the games I like are available on macOS so no need for Dualboot. Especially now that they perform the same 🤓

jthunternz

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
This is considerably off topic, but has anyone been able to play games through steam? whenever I launch CSGO it black screens and crashes. Maybe I should make this a thread

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Though a long way from GPU intensive gaming, I can certainly see the improvement in the java version of Minecraft with these patches..

Cheers!

pm

wintersun52

AMD OS X Member
Tried the updated Patches with OpenCore 0.6.2 system boots OK but get this message-HDMI-no signal, revert back to the old Patches and system boots all the way. Is there anything I can do.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
GUI things like opening a folder on Dock seek much smoother BUT HDMI audio is garbled. Rx 580 on 3900x, ASUS x570-p mobo.

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
But the GPU perf boost is really HUGE! I tested with Deus Ex Manking Divided. Before it was barely playable on Medium, after it runs smoothly on Ultra :-o

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
This is considerably off topic, but has anyone been able to play games through steam? whenever I launch CSGO it black screens and crashes. Maybe I should make this a thread

Yes, I tried Deus Ex Mankind Divided and indeed, Shanee's patch more than doubled the framerate. Geekbench Metal score went DOWN from 50k+ to 33k but who cares about benchmarks...

bob

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for this update works great.

olbo

AMD OS X Member
More information can be found here https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1137

this patch disables MTRR update action which performs the Intel recommended procedure for changing the MTRR in a MP system. Its the system which controls how access to memory ranges are cached by the CPU.

as to why this would have such an impact, I dont know. Maybe Shanee can shine light on that for us

--

Edit: My graphics performance is much better, in all aspects. Very nice find Shaneee and others!

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
My updated patch sets all host PAT Types to WB as this type ensures the best compatibility across all Guest PAT Types when combining.

italeffect

AMD OS X Member
Amazing. This fixed the stuttering I was having in the Plex desktop app. Asus Crosshair Hero x570, Ryzen 3900x, Radeon VII. OC 0.6.2. MacOS 10.15.7

Last edited:

wintersun52

AMD OS X Member
Tried the updated patch again this time with a NVIDIA Quadro K600 as with a EVGA GT710, boots but goes to HDMI-no signal, then tried a Sapphire RX580 Pulse this time fully booted to desktop but HDMI audio is garbled. So changed back to the old patch and all three cards are working fine.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.