GPU Performance Improved

xslr

Sep 28, 2020
Ran a Geekbench 5 Metal test before and after patching and it went from 49525 to 50406. Seriously, it's amazing that patching can squeeze out more performance! Thanks for your hard work!
My configuration is the same as you. Can you share your EFI?

RyzeCooker

May 3, 2020
My configuration is the same as you. Can you share your EFI?

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week at work. I'll see what I can do, will have to edit out my serial and motherboard id and stuff. But it's a great hardware combo, it runs rock solid. I'll message you once I got round to it (or are you REALLY waiting on it?) ;)

Carniphage

Aug 14, 2020
Sheffield, England
Over the past few days we’ve been looking into why the GPU performance was lower on an AMD hackintosh and narrowed it down to one patch. After many tests and reboots we can now say the issue has been solved. Patches have been updated on the AMD OS X GitHub.

https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

Enjoy
~Shaneee

Oh. My. Goodness.

I knew that my Radeon 7 was capable of a great deal more performance.
But despite my best efforts, benchmarks like Unigine Heaven, it was scoring around 30-40fps.
This patch has easily doubled the frame rate.

Excellent work.

Reactions: Shaneee

kn225

May 22, 2020
This is amazing!!!

Loading WoW and using Activity Monitor I can notice that all cores are being used a bit as expected but the GPU load was around 50% for the 480 and 30% for the 5700, with about 30 FPS in both cases. That was catastrophic compared to Windows. Even changing settings to lowest or not the difference was minimal.

Now after this patch performance is incredibly better, about matching what I have on Windows. These results are based on the 480 as I don't have the 5700 anymore.

THANK YOU very much for this. I only use Windows to game and this may actually finally allow me to play on the Mac again.

Also, DP audio issues as noted by others, but I don't care, I'll use a USB headset anyway.

--Edit--
Forgot to mention one thing. On certain areas of OS X I can notice a considerable improvement as well. For example, clicking on the "Downloads" folder for example with the "Fan" option, it is noticeable smoother than before. This is something I had noticed when comparing to my real Mac, but couldn't pinpoint what it was.

After the patch this is basically the same as the Mac. I'm very excited to figure which other areas of the OS may be affected by this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajovo and Shaneee

Moozuki

May 3, 2020
My geekbench metal score has gone from 54638 to 48327 after upgrading my RX 580 to a RX 5600XT :(. Everything else is way faster, is this normal? This is on the new patches btw.

rajovo

May 4, 2020
My geekbench metal score has gone from 54638 to 48327 after upgrading my RX 580 to a RX 5600XT :(. Everything else is way faster, is this normal? This is on the new patches btw.
Don't worry about the GB score. It's not indicative of real world performance.