GPU Performance Improved

RyzeCooker

May 3, 2020
Ran a Geekbench 5 Metal test before and after patching and it went from 49525 to 50406. Seriously, it's amazing that patching can squeeze out more performance! Thanks for your hard work!

Reactions: xslr and MagicMANX

Aluveitie

May 2, 2020
@RyzeCooker Geekbench score was not really affected by this, your increase is more likely random fluctuation. But actual gaming performance has been more than doubled.

I switched the framebuffer and my Geekbench Metal score went from 50k to 95k without affecting gaming performance at all.

Reactions: rajovo

RyzeCooker

May 3, 2020
Wait, people actually game under macOS? (Not being snarky, I reboot to Windows because I think that's the greatest advantage of genuine dual booting ;) What is recommended? I do have Steam but most games I'm interested in are Windows-only anyway) I reran the test two times with no other running programs, so I don't think it is all that random, but I honestly didnt expect to see any real-world advantages.

Aluveitie

May 2, 2020
I don’t like dealing with Windows in the first place and most of the games I like are available on macOS so no need for Dualboot. Especially now that they perform the same 🤓

jthunternz

Donator
Donator
Sep 9, 2020
New Zealand
This is considerably off topic, but has anyone been able to play games through steam? whenever I launch CSGO it black screens and crashes. Maybe I should make this a thread

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
Jul 23, 2020
Though a long way from GPU intensive gaming, I can certainly see the improvement in the java version of Minecraft with these patches..

Cheers!

pm

wintersun52

May 2, 2020
Tried the updated Patches with OpenCore 0.6.2 system boots OK but get this message-HDMI-no signal, revert back to the old Patches and system boots all the way. Is there anything I can do.

rajovo

May 4, 2020
GUI things like opening a folder on Dock seek much smoother BUT HDMI audio is garbled. Rx 580 on 3900x, ASUS x570-p mobo.

rajovo

May 4, 2020
But the GPU perf boost is really HUGE! I tested with Deus Ex Manking Divided. Before it was barely playable on Medium, after it runs smoothly on Ultra :-o

rajovo

May 4, 2020
This is considerably off topic, but has anyone been able to play games through steam? whenever I launch CSGO it black screens and crashes. Maybe I should make this a thread
Yes, I tried Deus Ex Mankind Divided and indeed, Shanee's patch more than doubled the framerate. Geekbench Metal score went DOWN from 50k+ to 33k but who cares about benchmarks...

olbo

Jun 26, 2020
More information can be found here https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1137

this patch disables MTRR update action which performs the Intel recommended procedure for changing the MTRR in a MP system. Its the system which controls how access to memory ranges are cached by the CPU.

as to why this would have such an impact, I dont know. Maybe Shanee can shine light on that for us

--

Edit: My graphics performance is much better, in all aspects. Very nice find Shaneee and others!

Last edited:
Reactions: rajovo

italeffect

Jul 27, 2020
Amazing. This fixed the stuttering I was having in the Plex desktop app. Asus Crosshair Hero x570, Ryzen 3900x, Radeon VII. OC 0.6.2. MacOS 10.15.7

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaneee

wintersun52

May 2, 2020
Tried the updated patch again this time with a NVIDIA Quadro K600 as with a EVGA GT710, boots but goes to HDMI-no signal, then tried a Sapphire RX580 Pulse this time fully booted to desktop but HDMI audio is garbled. So changed back to the old patch and all three cards are working fine.