Gigabyte x570 AQRUS Xtreme Attempt(10.13 High Sierra) OpenCore 6.9 - Stuck

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
I’m confused to what’s going on there.
Are you or have you been using the AMD Power Gadget maybe and have it set to boost low by mistake?
looks like i got other problems i got to figure out.
Windows 10 results below:
1621723552325.png

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Ok so do one of two things.
Either Shut down the system and pull all power and then open her up and short the bios to clear it or even better remove the cmos battery and wait a few minutes then put it all back together and reload your settings or and probbaly the better option is reflash your bios and see if it resets it. (That will probbaly do the trick)

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Ok so do one of two things.
Either Shut down the system and pull all power and then open her up and short the bios to clear it or even better remove the cmos battery and wait a few minutes then put it all back together and reload your settings or and probbaly the better option is reflash your bios and see if it resets it. (That will probbaly do the trick)
Tried clearing CMOS no luck there.
I guess I will have to try re-flashing the bios but still f33i so not sure if that will do the trick, but will try.

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Flashed BIOS still same
Not sure must be BIOS setting, I see all cores are loaded during Cinebench run.
Hard to see how it would be faulty processor or Motherboard if everything is working :unsure:
1621743800661.png

1621744104220.png

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Problem solved ;)(y)
Difference in scores for Cinebench r20 vs r23 ( I didn't use r23 in osx because i am on 10.3.4 and needed to upgrade to run r23)
r23 gets much higher scores, still a little slower than what you got but in the ballpark now.
1621746869338.png

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I didn’t spot you weren’t using R23 dude…lol

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Think I figured out my performance issue.
Do you know how to adjust the PCI link speed?
I am getting 2.5 GT/s which is the link speed of x1 lane of PCIe 1.0
PCI_Link_Speed.png

PCI_Link_Speeds.png

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Looks like this Link Speed is also cosmetic in Mac OSX System Report.
The performance issues are in VLC when playing 4k videos as it drops half or more of the frames, however this should not happen with hardware acceleration on GTX 1080

I thought this was related to the Link Speed since it works on my old hackentosh intel system with the GTX 1080 this install of OSX came from,
However today I ran a few of these 4k videos in QuickTime and it has no problems getting hardware acceleration and playing all frames no problem.
So this must be something with mac VLC player and AMD, VLC for Windows 10 has no performance issues with 4k and uses GTX 1080 with flawless playback on this system.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@CoolBean Go into the Config.plist and navigate to Kernel -> Patch, Scroll down to the very last patch in the list (39) and enable it followed by disabling the patch directly above it (38). Save, Restart and your find your GPU performance should be much better.
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 21.48.31.png

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@CoolBean Go into the Config.plist and navigate to Kernel -> Patch, Scroll down to the very last patch in the list (39) and enable it followed by disabling the patch directly above it (38). Save, Restart and your find your GPU performance should be much better.
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 21.48.31.png
This doesn’t work on nVidia GPUs. They hang on a black screen.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
LoL I thought he was using a big Navi, I’m talking to too many people at once and mixing up who’s got what. 😂

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
LoL I thought he was using a big Navi, I’m talking to too many people at once and mixing up who’s got what. 😂

LOL, thanks for trying though. ;)
It gets GPU acceleration in Quicktime so not to bad about 95% there, just need a few things for 100%:
--USB3.0 for ports( the USB2.0 works for these ports but getting 3.0 to work might also give another way to get front ports working)
--10Gig Aquantia ethernet port
--Optional(what ever VLC uses to access GPU acceleration)
--Optional(Shades pref pane to dim monitors stop working but this maybe because it uses some intel specific code, not sure)

I am now working on jumping to Big Sur.
I will start a new thread for that one if I can get it to boot.
I have multiple drives and partitions with 10.13 so if you think of anything else for 10.13 I can still try them no problem.

If I get Big Sur working I will also have at least two or more partitions to work from for it also.
So we will be able to try many things to try and get to that 95-100%
:giggle: (y)

Last edited:

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
VLC plays 4K HDR just fine for me.
I think it may be issue for Nvidia GTX cards and AMD with VLC,
but share your config.plist so I can see if there is anything in there I might have set that u don't have set the same way causing the issue.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Coolbean,

To boot Big Sur you'll likely need SSDT-CPUR & SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml in ACPI, OC 0.6.9, Lilu, Whatevergreen, AppleALC, VirtualSMC, USBPorts.kext and SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. No need for boot-args other than alcid for your soundcard.

For the Aquantia you could try this. Your PCIRoot settings may differ so add it in Devices using the + button:

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.04.57 AM.png

Btw that device-id is this: 4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041080a0000000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001

And the last bit for model says Aqtion.

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Coolbean,

To boot Big Sur you'll likely need SSDT-CPUR & SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml in ACPI, OC 0.6.9, Lilu, Whatevergreen, AppleALC, VirtualSMC, USBPorts.kext and SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. No need for boot-args other than alcid for your soundcard.

For the Aquantia you could try this. Your PCIRoot settings may differ so add it in Devices using the + button:

View attachment 3251DPCIManager_PCI_List_Snapshot_x570_extreme.png

Btw that device-id is this: 4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041080a0000000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001

And the last bit for model says Aqtion.
Thanks Middleman
Haven't got that far on big sur yet but will make sure all those are included on full attempt.
--I have to get it to boot into installer and install all in VirtualBox first so I can add Nvidia drivers, but VirtualBox going to take some time since it gets stuck when I use USB somewhere in early boot so I will try next to make USB map to an internal sata drive so maybe it gets past that point were it is getting stuck, which i think is when it loads usb drivers.

For the Aquantia I am still a little noob like here, what app are you using to do the + button on PCIRoot?
--I have DPCIManager and can see the Ethernet controller in PCI List but not sure how to get PCIRoot path to add to config.plist.
--Snapshot from DPCIManager below:DPCIManager_PCI_List_Snapshot_x570_extreme.png

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Thanks Middleman
Haven't got that far on big sur yet but will make sure all those are included on full attempt.
--I have to get it to boot into installer and install all in VirtualBox first so I can add Nvidia drivers, but VirtualBox going to take some time since it gets stuck when I use USB somewhere in early boot so I will try next to make USB map to an internal sata drive so maybe it gets past that point were it is getting stuck, which i think is when it loads usb drivers.

For the Aquantia I am still a little noob like here, what app are you using to do the + button on PCIRoot?
--I have DPCIManager and can see the Ethernet controller in PCI List but not sure how to get PCIRoot path to add to config.plist.
--Snapshot from DPCIManager below:View attachment 3252
I see. The app I used to show the Device Properties is Opencore Configurator. For the PCIRoot path for the Aquantia I'd suggest try using Hackintools.

douirc

AMD OS X Member
Hey @CoolBean, thanks for making this post. I have a similar setup with X570 AORUS Elite Wifi, X5950 and 1080 Ti. Could you please share your most up to date EFI? I tried starting from scratch but am getting stuck during boot. Also, can you post what BIOS setting changes you made for macOS? Thanks!

CoolBean

AMD OS X Member
Hey @CoolBean, thanks for making this post. I have a similar setup with X570 AORUS Elite Wifi, X5950 and 1080 Ti. Could you please share your most up to date EFI? I tried starting from scratch but am getting stuck during boot. Also, can you post what BIOS setting changes you made for macOS? Thanks!

Still stuck on boot with Big Sur :
Virtualbox :
Cant get past screen right when text should change resolution so I think its having trouble with 1080 in emulation also.
--Same in Mac OS 10.13.4 or in Windows 10, I guess Virtual box uses a similar version to your graphics card so still need drivers, was hoping it was emulating a generic card.

Direct Install of USB with OpenCore:
I can boot into installer and get initial install complete/Format drives/Safari/Restore.
Howerever Big Sur on initial install just puts the base on target drive, then reboots using that drive as boot drive.
-- This is were I get stuck since I believe it needs Nvidia drivers installed as first half screen of text fills and then instant reboot.
If I could just figure out a way to get it to not try to load custom graphics drivers and just use same generic graphics drivers used in installer I could get Nvidia graphics drivers installed.
--I tried -x for safe boot but did not work.
--I tried -no_compat_check to stop it from checking to see if its support configuration for Big Sur but did not work.

I think we may just need to get a compatible graphics card to install the OS then install Nvidia drivers and then put the 1080 back in. :confused:

douirc

AMD OS X Member
Still stuck on boot with Big Sur :
Virtualbox :
Cant get past screen right when text should change resolution so I think its having trouble with 1080 in emulation also.
--Same in Mac OS 10.13.4 or in Windows 10, I guess Virtual box uses a similar version to your graphics card so still need drivers, was hoping it was emulating a generic card.

Direct Install of USB with OpenCore:
I can boot into installer and get initial install complete/Format drives/Safari/Restore.
Howerever Big Sur on initial install just puts the base on target drive, then reboots using that drive as boot drive.
-- This is were I get stuck since I believe it needs Nvidia drivers installed as first half screen of text fills and then instant reboot.
If I could just figure out a way to get it to not try to load custom graphics drivers and just use same generic graphics drivers used in installer I could get Nvidia graphics drivers installed.
--I tried -x for safe boot but did not work.
--I tried -no_compat_check to stop it from checking to see if its support configuration for Big Sur but did not work.

I think we may just need to get a compatible graphics card to install the OS then install Nvidia drivers and then put the 1080 back in. :confused:
oh, I thought you got a working version of High Sierra on X570 with 1080 ti? I'm not looking to run Big Sur since I need the Nvidia web drivers for my 1080 ti. do you have a working EFI for High Sierra? I'll take whatever you got as a starting point. thanks!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.