Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) Threadripper 3970X (32-Core) - Insatallation (Big SUR) "freezes" at 12 min

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
I am trying to install BIG SUR on a Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) Threadripper 3960X

The installation starts but at about "12 min left until completion" the screen freezes and I have to aboard the installation.
The last entry in the DEBUG File is the "EXITBS:START" Error.

couple of questions:
1. I pulled DSDT with SSDTtime, but that doesn't help. The official opencore guide says, one only needs the SSDT-EC-USBX file in the ACPI folder. So no extre ABCXYZ.aml files are needed. is this correct?
2. I have a Nvidia GTX 770 GPU which is natively supported by Big SUR. However, could the GPU be the reason for the "freeze"?
2b. I am installing on a USB Drive (Destination of the installation). I did this in the past, and had no problems. But maybe at some point the USB Port does not get recognized anymore during the installation. Anybody?
3. I did the MMIO Whitelisting, but that didn't stop the freeze.
4. I post my EFI (no serial). Maybe someone has the passion to look through it. Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • config.plist.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your config is set for a 32-core CPU. Your CPU only has 24-cores. So you need to edit the AMD patches in your config.plist to reflect the correct core count.

Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 21.06.26.png Core Count conversion.

I assume as you are not using the npci=0x2000 boot argument that you have Enabled the 'Above4G Decoding' option in your bios.

The rest of your setup looks OK.

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk

Thank you so much for your input. My bad, I mistyped the CPU in my first post. I corrected it just now.
It is indeed a Threadripper 3970X (32 Core-CPU), that I have in my PC.

I will try to install on a SATA Disk (not USB) within the next couple of days. Maybe that will make the installer run through.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try booting with the EFI attached below. See if that gets you any further.

I cleaned up the config.plist, removing some placeholder entries.
I also added a couple of kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder and config.plist.
I removed the MimoWhiteList entries (all of them).

See if this makes it better or worse.

Remember to add your Serial Number etc. in to the config.plist before you try using it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7 MB · Views: 3

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
Thanks @Edhawk ,
So far, no success.
The Screen freezes while the installation shows "about 12 minutes remaining".

I also did let the PC "sit" for about an hour, hoping that maybe the installation goes through and it is just the GPU that freezes, but so far, after restarting, there is no valid macOS on the harddrive, just the installation files were copied onto it.

I upload the opencore debug txt.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-03-31-144340.txt.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It is more likely that the macOS Installer is defective than your OpenCore setup. As the OC setup allows you to boot in to the installer.
  1. You may need to delete the current installer, i.e. wipe the USB installation drive.
  2. Download and restore the macOS installation app to the USB
  3. Copy the latest OC EFI to the EFI partition on the USB installer.
  4. Boot and install macOS see if this fixes the issue.
This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Kentsoon

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk
I already tried different installers of Big SUR. I also tried different versions of Big Sur Installer.
Could it be the Nvidia GPU? Maybe at some point during the installation macOS looses the PCI Route Path to the GPU?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, I don't think the Nvidia GPU would be causing the issue. The GTX 770 is natively supported in macOS up to and including the latest release of Big Sur. If there was an issue with the GTX 770 it would be more likely to show before the installation wizard commences.

How are you creating your USB installer? Are you using another hack (Z490 Creator build), a real Mac, Windows or Linux?

Have you tried using the macOS Recovery method, where the installer is downloaded as part of the installation process, instead of having the 12Gb installer already restored to the USB?

This called the Online installer, which requires a working Ethernet or WiFi connection on the Hack. The installation package is fairly small (500MB+) as all it requires is the Recovery boot image to be stored on the USB not the full 12GB+ installer (Offline installer).

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.