Gigabyte A520m-DS3H Ryzen 7 5800x RX5600 xt

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Hi Edhawk.. my scanpolicy has a number alongside it, I'll set it to 0 and see if this helps.

I've also attached my efi folder, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at this just incase I've made a daft mistake!! :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 2

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Another update on this.. so I started from scratch and created a new installer using a different USB stick but using the same EFI folder. This time it worked and i was able to boot to the installer.

I can then use disk utility to format my SSD

drive and start the Big Sur install process, all appears to be going well until it gets to12 minutes at which point the system restarts, opencore loads and I have the option to boot from the SSD

But.. as soon as I select the SSD, a few white lines of text appear on the screen and then the system gets stuck in a boot loop.. I've just about managed to capture the text that appears on the screen (see attached), sorry for the low quality, this only appears for a fraction of a second so I had to use a video to capture it.

Any ideas on what this text means and why it's crashing at this stage?

Attachments

• crashimg1.jpg
    crashimg1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of the EFI you are using, so we can see what if anything is wrong.
Just saw your EFI in the top post on this page, Doh!

You shouldn't be using the SSDT-RHUB.aml table in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder, this is for Intel Systems only never AMD systems.

Same goes for SMCSuperIO.kext, Intel systems only, so this should also be removed.

You had the Misc > Security > ScanPolicy option set as '3736835', which probably stops a few drives showing on the OC boot screen. This should be set as '0' so all drives are displayed on the boot screen.

Try booting with this revised EFI, see what difference it makes.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
I posted my EFI folder a couple of posts back, I haven't changed it since then 👍

Although, I'm trying a different secureboot setting at the moment, it was set to default.. I've just changed it to j137 and am going through the install process again at the moment 😎

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Thanks Edhawk

I'll test your revised efi.. thanks for this.

But as a quick update, I managed to get through the installer by setting the secureboot setting to "disabled", but should I be worried about leaving it on this setting?

Also, the computer completely freezes when it goes to sleep.. so I've currently got it set so that it never goes to sleep.. perhaps one of the intel bits you mentioned is causing this problem 🤔

I'm also a bit worried about the install process itself, it was far from smooth.. Each time the system needed to reboot opencore would stop loading.. to get it going again I had to disconnect the SSD drive, then boot all the way to the installer on the usb, then shut down.. then reconnect the SSD again.. and then the install process would continue. I had to do this a few times but eventually made it through the install process! So I'm chuffed that it's running but am also a tad worried about it's stability 🤔

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yeah, I would be worried too, if that was necessary to get the installation to complete.

Try the revised EFI, I have removed the Intel aspects I listed previously. So it should work a lot smoother than the current EFI you are using.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I want to clear up a couple of things,
SSDT-RHUB.aml is modified as per the github site for this MB. Without it only half of the USB ports are recognized using the imacpro smbios. This enabled the mapping of all the ports and was then disabled in the config.plist. I left it there in case someone needed/wanted to do the mapping themselves. It is not intel only!
SMCSuperIO.kext is also not intel only, I have used it on two different AMD boards to enable the MB sensors to be read with hardware monitor, so its not needed just nice to have but does work with AMD. Removing these two items have no effect on how this config works as long as my USBPorts.kext works.

A lot of folks assume things are only for intel, but that is not always the case anymore, some things have been adapted over the last couple of years.

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Ok.. so on that basis I should stick with the EFI I'm using which is based on your latest EFI..

Does your system wake from sleep?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
The best is to always follow the Dortaina guide and create your own for your setup. That being said, sometimes people need help so I post mine for people to use as a starting point.
It works for me as is from Big Sur to latest Monteray beta, but I know Gigabyte might change something on the board or a different bios version could always effect how it works. I try to help when I can as I don't see any other A520 EFI on here and they have some quirks so they can be harder to setup, the USB being the biggest hurdle to figure out, but once done they work great. It did sleep at one time, but I have my serial port enable in the bios so windows can talk to my MTH and Lionel trains, and that breaks sleep.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Here is a stripped down EFI, only has the required items to boot and run the installer.
Let me know how it goes.
Remember to add your numbers to the config.plist

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    853.4 KB · Views: 7

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Thanks Moozuki

But I'm actually up and running using your earlier EFI, other than wake from sleep everything else seems to be working.

I even managed to upgrade to the latest version of Big Sur.

I'm not sure why the install process itself was such a big issue, it was weird, having to disconnect the drive each time the system rebooted to get it going again.

Now what I'm most interested in is figuring out the best way to mirror the drive so I've got a backup if anything goes wrong!!

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I keep a USB stick with my latest EFI so I can boot the hack and restore from a Time Machine backup if something goes wrong.
I will try and investigate the sleep issue, although I no longer have a drive with Big Sur on it....

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
I keep a USB stick with my latest EFI so I can boot the hack and restore from a Time Machine backup if something goes wrong.
I will try and investigate the sleep issue, although I no longer have a drive with Big Sur on it....
No problem re the sleep issue, it's not important, I've just set the computer up so that it doesn't go to sleep.. 👍

I'll make a time machine backup to an external drive, I'm guessing I can do this by booting up the installer USB and loading time machine from there?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
That's how I do it.

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
Also, does your system boot with "secureboot" enabled in the config.plist file? I have to set mine to disabled..

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I use default setting for secure boot with no issues.

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
How bizarre.. mine crashes as soon as osx starts to load if I don't disable secureboot, just goes to show that two machines on the same motherboard can behave very differently 🤔

Is secureboot important?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I used to run with it disabled, but I could not see or update from software update or something like that. Having it enabled I have no such issues, updates like a real Mac.

Slinky

AMD OS X Member
I used to run with it disabled, but I could not see or update from software update or something like that. Having it enabled I have no such issues, updates like a real Mac.
My experience has been the opposite!

I've got it disabled and was able to update to that latest version of Big Sur!

I might try to enable it now the systems running to see if I can still boot 🤔

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I think the problem didn't show up until Monteray.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.