Gaming with AMD hackintosh - World of Warcraft

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
I wonder if anyone has experience any low fps on games or anything? It seems the AMD CPU is not running full during gaming with WoW. I've got a high fps(100fps) in windows but couln't on amd hackintosh. My previous intel 8700 hackintosh was also doing well around 100 fps. Wonder if anyone have a solution or ideas how to make it performs better?

my spec
asus rog 450-i
amd ryzen 3700x
vega 64 card
32gb

helba

AMD OS X Member
I have the same problem.

3950x and radeon vii but only ˜45fps on very low.

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
I guess on intel it has much better support from apple side.

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
Hi & thanks a lot for opening this topic. I was planning to build an AMD Ryzentosh with the main intention of playing wow on it because i am using macOS since about two decades now and i do only play wow when i am gaming. By having the first edition of the "slim-line" 27" late 2012 iMac with the smallest ever used graCa (512 MB - Nvidia 660M) inside this model i guess u can feel my pain pretty well.... : /

That's why i was thinking about building a proper X570 / Ryzen 9 3900X machine with a rx 5700 xt inside, but now knowing that i will have to use windows (dual boot) i am really bewildered. There was no intention to include a dual-boot on my first Hackintosh attempt at all^^. Reading all that stuff about opencore, considering to organise another graCa to swap out for the xt 5700 xt...... this would be my first real build and i hope to find a way considering this circumstance as a challenge and not just go buying another (not for gaming optimized) Mac.

Time will tell

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Bopbi what are your Geekbench results for the GPU? Might help narrowing down the issue.

singing_fish

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,
I just played XCom and Destiny on my Hackintosh.
It runs much smoother as on the original MacBook Pro 2015 and similar to W10 on the same machines.
Both games on 'Ultra' settings, a lot of Programs opened in background, even MS Outlook -,.,-

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 20.46.57.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 20.48.31.png
All the best,
c*))<
edit, score in Win:
geek.PNG

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 20.49.41.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 20.49.41.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
@Bopbi what are your Geekbench results for the GPU? Might help narrowing down the issue.
@Aluveitie

I have attached screen shot of GPU result. I dont think it has to do with the vega 64, I previously had it with intel core 8700 and it was running 100 fps alright. So i tend to think it's the CPU counterpart. Edit = I reran with metal instead of open CL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.04.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.04.26 PM.png
    217 KB · Views: 49

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
I just ask myself if i'll have to move to an "intel-solution" in case of crappy fps especially when playing World of Warcraft because that's the only game i play occasionally. Are there any positive examples of AMD systems running smoothly on WoW?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
I just ask myself if i'll have to move to an "intel-solution" in case of crappy fps especially when playing World of Warcraft because that's the only game i play occasionally. Are there any positive examples of AMD systems running smoothly on WoW?

Thanks a lot in advance!
You can still play wow but on a dual boot system, windows and mac. I do dual boot so it's fine for me but i dont like to keep on switching . I just wanted to work on hackintosh and reason for doing ryzen hack is because ryzen is a better CPU than intel as of current state. But somehow it gets gimped by the macOS software which only make true intel processor to be contend with.

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
You can still play wow but on a dual boot system, windows and mac. I do dual boot so it's fine for me but i dont like to keep on switching . I just wanted to work on hackintosh and reason for doing ryzen hack is because ryzen is a better CPU than intel as of current state. But somehow it gets gimped by the macOS software which only make true intel processor to be contend with.

I know about the option to dual boot which is less comfortable & also very annoying regarding having to deal with Windows. I would like to strictly use macOS only because i just really like it better and i on Win i couldn't use Logic, too. (Back in those days when Logic was part of emagic there were 2 versions available --> mac/win)

I hope somebody will post a combo of a MoBo & GraCa giving some good results regarding WoW gameplay.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've stopped playing WoW years ago, therefore I cannot directly compare it.

Vega 56/64 cards are a bit problematic as Apple just stopped loading the SMU Firmware to fix fan control issues. This is why the RadeonBoost.kext does not support those cards. The similar Radeon VII gets a massive boost in memory bandwidth from it.

Another reason might be that WoW is just optimized for Intel CPUs in such a way that it crushes performance on AMD (Most developers don't expect to run MacOS Software on anything but Intel).

Third might be that something else in your setup does brake performance, so it would be helpful to if others running WoW could comment.

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
I've stopped playing WoW years ago, therefore I cannot directly compare it.

Vega 56/64 cards are a bit problematic as Apple just stopped loading the SMU Firmware to fix fan control issues. This is why the RadeonBoost.kext does not support those cards. The similar Radeon VII gets a massive boost in memory bandwidth from it.

Another reason might be that WoW is just optimized for Intel CPUs in such a way that it crushes performance on AMD (Most developers don't expect to run MacOS Software on anything but Intel).

Third might be that something else in your setup does brake performance, so it would be helpful to if others running WoW could comment.
@helba , the above post stated he also experience similar issue, which he has far better cpu ryzen 3950x and vega II and only running 45fps in wow. Basically i have the same fps as his. To this end I think it's basically optimized for intel cpu for running such games on mac os. Thinking of getting back to intel hackintosh but in the future apple will be switching to their own cpu so I dont really know what else to do from here.

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
My original plan was to build an AMD system and i guess i will not go down the intel road. As it is the way it is, i will have to create a dual-boot Ryzentosh. Apart from the fact that i just prefer the mac OS i've neither built a computer nor creating a hackintosh. There semms to be no other way around but so i'll have to deal with an extra partition/drive for Win & WoW.

However, i am thinking, researching, thinking, reading, being confused, researching .... regarding the hackin'Mac action-plan for months now and NOW is the moment to get started!!!

Let's get ready for my electronics dealer in town and grab the just now reserved Nvidia GeForce GT710. By needing to swap a card for the rx 5700 xt in the upcoming installation process the GT710 becomes my very first element in my hackintosh related hardware setup, hehe.

helba

AMD OS X Member
Yesterday I tried to run factorio but was also experiencing very low fps (under 20 on a small map).

Maybe we can create a list of games which knowingly aren't running on amd systems?

Bopbi

AMD OS X Member
for me WoW is very low fps on ryzen, I don't know any other games lol. lets add

to the list :
World of warcraft
Factorio

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
Let's get ready for my electronics dealer in town and grab the just now reserved Nvidia GeForce GT710. By needing to swap a card for the rx 5700 xt in the upcoming installation process the GT710 becomes my very first element in my hackintosh related hardware setup, hehe.

hm... it seems like due to some software changes/update a rx 5700 xt is now working OOB if i am correct.
btw. I did not go & buy the RT710 although i was at the store. The queue turned me off and i decided to come another day.
(The reservation automatically is for 10 days^^)
My luck

I just stumbled over the latest video from Peter Paul Chato

He explains that not only the basic order of kexts in OC (Lilu; VirtualSMC..) are that important, but also that p.e. a broadcom BT WIFI kext has in certain cases to be triple-in-a-row installed & also in the right order to work^^

Now i am asking myself if it could be possible to achieve an fps boost through re- or multi- arranging kexts related to the graCa.. because - if i got it right - other applications/functions will work better after swinging around with those related kexts.

I should definitely order a moBo + CPU + graCa soon .... till now that's all too theoretical for me.
Still creeping on my late 2012 intel i5 iMac with a 512 MB nvidia GeForce 660M.

: I

Gabo

AMD OS X Member
After taking a nap & keeping on researching i now believe to know that a 5700xt compared to radeon vii should be running way better in games. Maybe it's the just gpu's architecture and that's it.

cristianf

AMD OS X Member
Hi all, I test WoW(Classic) In January and play actively Diablo 3 and they perform really well in 2.5k resolution, all in max with a RX5700 (without WEG, in DP, SMBIOS MacPro, no kext(for graphics), no mods), for WoW is near 70/80fps in a player saturated zone.
Check this forum, they have a lot of post for Radeon to improve performance, including play WoW in really old macbooks pro without required SSE instructions

PD: I think that the best option for gaming is dual boot with windows (No work/No distraction/FreeSync)

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
I tried league of legends today, low fps. I used the Activity Monitor to log the GPU usage. It's pretty funny the usage has never gone about 20%. My geekbench 5 scores are 39952(opencl) and 74912(metal). Then I tried the Unigine benchmark. The rendering score is very low: 1530 with min FPS: 11. I suspect somehow the rendering is not working correctly.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
With Unigine I get a score of 1458 at 3840x1600 with my meager RX 5500 XT.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.