Frequent freezes and occasional kernel panics

realmayus

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I frequently experience my system freezing while doing no resource-intensive tasks. I can always still move my mouse but can't access any UI elements. Sometimes, even the mouse cursor freezes and shortly after, my PC restarts with the message that a kernel panic has occurred. See the attached log.

My Specs:
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F96)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Ryzen 1600X
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT

How could I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• kernel_panic.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 8

KieranWaugh

AMD OS X Member
I had similar problems and it turned out that manually selecting my memory frequency in bios was causing problems. Changed it back to auto and the problem hasn't come back. Don't know If this will help but it is worth a shot.

armanijohnny

AMD OS X Member
It's very likely that it's your 5700 XT that is causing the issue. I had the exact same issue. In order to get it stable I needed to update the BIOS PCIe Slot Configuration - from Auto/Gen4 to Gen3. I'm not sure what mobo you have but it's an easy update.

You can check out my github and under the section "What doesn't work" that will describe the issues I was seeing and the steps I took to resolve it. Hope it works for you. https://github.com/armanijohnny/MacProMiniHackintosh

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Gen4 to Gen3 fixes a lot of issues (I had stuttering audio on my external usb Focusrite, which went away after switching). Read your (armanijohnny's, that is) excellent build report and noticed the line "Multicore: 12,934 (Still need to figure out why it's not closer to 14K~)"

Try removing the SMCAMDProcessor kexts temporarily and rerunning Geekbench. I don't feel it has noticeable impact on day-to-day use of the Hackintosh but it does have an impact on the final Geekbench results. On my system Geekbench reported over 400 more in the multi-core score without SMCAMDProcessor.

realmayus

AMD OS X Member
It's very likely that it's your 5700 XT that is causing the issue. I had the exact same issue. In order to get it stable I needed to update the BIOS PCIe Slot Configuration - from Auto/Gen4 to Gen3. I'm not sure what mobo you have but it's an easy update.

You can check out my github and under the section "What doesn't work" that will describe the issues I was seeing and the steps I took to resolve it. Hope it works for you. https://github.com/armanijohnny/MacProMiniHackintosh

Thank you for the answer! It took me a long time until I found this settting, is this the right one? I am using an ASRock b450m mainboard.
image.jpg

armanijohnny

AMD OS X Member
Thank you for the answer! It took me a long time until I found this settting, is this the right one? I am using an ASRock b450m mainboard.

Yeah give that a shot change it to Gen 3 and see how that works for you and whether you still encounter the freeze. If it doesn't work you can always go back in and set it back to Auto.

realmayus

AMD OS X Member
Hi, unfortunately that didn't work. My hackintosh still freezes frequently.

Which SMBIOS are you using?

LazyBayes

AMD OS X Member
You're not alone. There are a number of us with the same issue. I tried the suggestions in this thread and it didn't fix the freezing problem for me either.

No one really knows why exactly, but people think it has to do with the Ryzen CPU paired with particular GPUs. Many of us with these issues are using Radeon VII.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@LazyBayes The Radeon VII is Vega 20 (GCN 5), the RX 5700 XT is Navi 10 (RDNA 1) so completely different Architecture.

armanijohnny

AMD OS X Member
@realmayus So I'm not all familiar with the Asrock motherboard B450 you are using but what I found odd in your screenshot is that it doesn't show an option for Gen 4 in your list. Maybe that particular board doesn't offer Gen 4 or you need to update your bios. Regardless I don't think that should matter. Exactly what GPU do you have? Is it the Gigabyte 5700XT as well? It's really hard to say and all I can think of is possible just the GPU + Mobo combo not working working well together.

I don't think the RadeonBoost will do much for your issue. I'm using MacPro7,1

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
Try to deactivate the serial bus (ESPI, I2C) in your BIOS. This solved for me a lot of stability problems like random freezes.

ardweebno

AMD OS X Member
@realmayus So I'm not all familiar with the Asrock motherboard B450 you are using but what I found odd in your screenshot is that it doesn't show an option for Gen 4 in your list. Maybe that particular board doesn't offer Gen 4 or you need to update your bios. Regardless I don't think that should matter. Exactly what GPU do you have? Is it the Gigabyte 5700XT as well? It's really hard to say and all I can think of is possible just the GPU + Mobo combo not working working well together.

I don't think the RadeonBoost will do much for your issue. I'm using MacPro7,1

The B450M chipest does not officially support PCIe Gen4 and AMD has been encouraging motherboard vendors to lockout the option to enable it on anything other than x570 boards.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.