Tutorial Fixing (Green Screen) DRM on BigSur for AppleTV and Apple Music Streaming

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
With Lilu 1.5.1 I have no blackscreen, or rather I have the blackscreen that I can bypass, and no KP at startup, but ... green screen with Apple TV.
Did you use the correct device path for your GPU using path/to/gfxutil -f GFX0 ? (replace path/to with your gfxutil folder location)
If you prefer you can use Hackintool to find it too under the PCIe tab.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
of course, I had already entered my radeon data to try to remedy my blackscreen problems.

I have 4 matches
Navi 10 XL Upstream Port of PCI Express Switch
Navi 10 XL Downstream Port of PCI Express Switch
Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM / 5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT]
Navi 10 HDMI Audio

I inserted unfairgva in VGA compatible controller which is related to Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM / 5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT]

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@baronerosso Can I see your Config.plist please to see if I can spot anything? (remove your personal details)

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• config.plist
    53.2 KB · Views: 8

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Why have you given it a device id, vendor id and populated PCI in System Report?

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Why have you given it a device id, vendor id and populated PCI in System Report?
I copy what Hackintool identify, trying to resolve my blackscreen problems

I added eternet because without it was recognized as external and the others built-in are storage, without are recognized as external hard disks.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I copy what Hackintool identify, trying to resolve my blackscreen problems

I added eternet because without it was recognized as external and the others built-in are storage, without are recognized as external hard disks.
The changes are all fine but you shouldn’t do any other details apart from the changes needed. No populating PCI and no giving extra device names and I’d. Open up luxmark and run the test and look at the GPU details within it and if it’s listing as unknown then the reason why is because of what you have done in device properties

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OK, I remove all, only Device Path and unfairgva, but ... green screen in Apple TV+

kode54

AMD OS X Member
And here's my config, sans SMBIOS serial and MLB and such:

Attachments

• config.plist
    45.4 KB · Views: 6

PimpChicken

AMD OS X Member
Is this supposed to fix Netflix DRM? I still can't watch Netflix in Safari although Apple TV+ is working (no idea if it was working before as I just tested it)

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Is this supposed to fix Netflix DRM? I still can't watch Netflix in Safari although Apple TV+ is working (no idea if it was working before as I just tested it)
No this is for Apple TV only but Netflix is working for me and was before this fix.

kode54

AMD OS X Member
None of them are working for me, with or without this fix. And the Discord server users reminded me that the change log indicates this particular unfairgva flag is only for MacPro5,1 anyway.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
None of them are working for me, with or without this fix. And the Discord server users reminded me that the change log indicates this particular unfairgva flag is only for MacPro5,1 anyway.
plenty of people are using the apple TV Fix including myself. I have even sent you a screenshot of it working so what more do you want fella, that is unless you think myself and others are lying?
im sorry it’s not working for you buddy but it does work.

kode54

AMD OS X Member
This will never work for me anyway. I needed the original shikigva to enable hardware decoding back in 10.14. 10.15.3 or so broke it entirely, as it started making the OS periodically re-check the signature of the loaded code, which resulted in video playback that worked for like 10 seconds, then failed. I've been told user mode patching is a no-go now, so this is pointless for me anyway. Guess I'll go consume my DRM content on another machine, or just pirate everything like I used to before actually paying became convenient.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
This will never work for me anyway. I needed the original shikigva to enable hardware decoding back in 10.14. 10.15.3 or so broke it entirely, as it started making the OS periodically re-check the signature of the loaded code, which resulted in video playback that worked for like 10 seconds, then failed. I've been told user mode patching is a no-go now, so this is pointless for me anyway. Guess I'll go consume my DRM content on another machine, or just pirate everything like I used to before actually paying became convenient.
To be totally honest buddy tell me who uses a PC to playback video now days when we have Smart TVs, IPads and smart Phones?
I know I don’t and nor do any of my friends...lol.
Pointless stuff if you ask me!

@kode54 Sorry to hear you have had long standing DRM problems. I’ve always ran smbios 1,1 or 19,1 when I was Intel and DRM has never been a issue for me. Especially when usIng smbios iMacpro1,1 as no flags for drm have ever been needed to get it working apart from the AppleTV fix. That’s very unfortunate And I can understand your frustration over it.

Last edited:

kode54

AMD OS X Member
Fix that is likely to work for anyone in this topic or who has seen this feature, but found it didn't work for them. I learned of this fix from others mentioning it on the Discord server, and tried it successfully on my system.

If the device property isn't working for you, try setting it as a boot argument instead, as unfairgva=1.

The nearest I can guess about this, is that for some systems or GPUs, WhateverGreen doesn't associate with the PCI device path of the card soon enough in the boot process for the patching function, so it queries the setting and doesn't find it, and defaults everything to disabled. In this case, the earliest possible variable to detect in the boot process would be setting it in boot-args.

(Yes, I did use gfxutil to detect my video card's PCI device path, and set the unfairgva there, so either the setting is wrong in my case, or as I guessed, not associated properly. The boot args setting fixes that in short order, though.)

Oh yeah, and this also fixed my Netflix in Safari, and possibly my Discord video chat going to garbage regularly.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If the device property isn't working for you, try setting it as a boot argument instead, as unfairgva=1.
it also works with my setup

TKS!

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@kode54 @baronerosso Sounds to me like you both have the problem of your Device properties injection failing to inject.
If it bugs you then you can create yourself SSDT-BRG0 to resolve it but at the same time there’s nothing wrong with a simple little boot argument to resolve the problem too. :)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.