Tutorial Fixing (Green Screen) DRM on BigSur for AppleTV and Apple Music Streaming

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Hi All,
As it says in the title I'm here to tell you how to fix DRM properly and get your video playback working instead of a green screen while using AppleTV or Apple Music Streaming via Big Sur. :)

Please Note - Make sure your using the latest version of Whatevergreen (1.4.7) and Lilu in your EFI Folder that I will attach bellow.

Method 1
Firstly you need to extract your GPU path and add it to your device properties.
You can do this using Hackintool or using gfxutil with the following command.
  • path/to/gfxutil -f GFX0
In my instance and probably everybody else using the top PCIe slot on a Gigabyte X570 board its
  • PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Then all you need todo is add the following info with this Data value
  • unfairgva - 01000000
Once Done it should look like this
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 18.03.45.png

Then save your config, Restart and enjoy your viewing, It really is as simple as that.

Method 2
If the first method doesn’t work for you then simply just add unfairgva=1 to your boot arguments instead.
(Big Thanks to @kode54 for discovering and pointing this method out. :) )

I hope this helps all you people with this problem and don't forget to install the latest WhateverGreen.kext & Lilu or it won't work
Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Shaneee I think I posted this in the wrong section and should of put it under the Tutorial section.
I can’t delete the post over here and repost if in the correct section, Can you do that buddy or is it ok here in post instal?

Moved to Tutorials (y)

kode54

AMD OS X Member
Is this supposed to be working? Or does it only work with a limited selection of hardware?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Is this supposed to be working? Or does it only work with a limited selection of hardware?
Yes it works perfectly and as far as I’m aware it’s a universal fix for any GPU (this method was shown to me by one of the OC Devs) and everybody who has done it that has messaged me about it has successfully got AppleTV working.
If it’s not working for you then you must be doing something wrong bud.

Last edited:

kode54

AMD OS X Member
Very helpful reply.

Let's just go over this.

I installed your build of WhateverGreen, just in case the developer snapshot from the AMD OSX Discord server was missing something.

I used gfxutil just in case I had misused Hackintool to find the device path for my video card:

chris@Christophers-iMac-Pro gfxutil-1.80b-RELEASE % ./gfxutil -f GFX0 26:00.0 1002:67df /PCI0@0/GPP8@3,1/GFX0@0 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Thus the following should be correct, yes?

Yet my Apple TV app only shows either flashing red and black windows, or green stripes. The only thing I got to work was the previous episode previews in Apple TV+, which are apparently not protected content.

Edit: Do I need to disable sip to allow the user mode patching this requires?

Edit 2: Maybe most of these overrides are needed too? https://github.com/acidanthera/What...al/FAQ.Chart.md#drm-compatibility-on-macos-11

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@kode54 What SMBios are you using?
Im not using any overrides and only using the argument and Apple TV is spot on for me.
This is on a Aorus X570 Pro, 5900x RX5700 XT And using SMBios iMacPro1,1.
I guess the RX 470 must be the troubling factor for you here in that case or your using a different smbios other then 1,1 or 7,1.

Sorry, no you don’t need to disable SIP or anything like that. I also don’t use the AGPInjector.kext as it brings nothing extra to the table for me on my build.

Last edited:

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
blackscreen using this WhateverGreen beta, even remotely killing WIndowServer

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
blackscreen using this WhateverGreen beta, even remotely killing WIndowServer
Thats a new one.
This is me running with the very same WEG Kext and AppleTV Running

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have blackscreen at login windows, with or without unfairgva

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I have blackscreen at login windows, with or without unfairgva
Black screen at login windows?
Sorry but do you mean your screen is going black as soon as MacOS loads?
Thats very strange, you sure that’s the WEG.kext causing that?
If you use an older version does it come back?

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Maybe you should open a issue with the Devs about it as that’s not normal. Like I said in my message before to you this is the first I’ve ever heard about it. I have a good few threads on various sites and nobody has reported this Sort of problem. I have noticed the Taichi isnt the most friendly board for a hack build though. Still that shouldn’t happen.
go here and report it to Vit and he’s crew buddy.

I use the same make and model GPU as you do too.

The only other thing I can think of is are you using the latest release version of Lilu? If not then update it.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

AudioGod

Guru
Guru

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
... and I can add, with unfairgva set in DeviceProperties I get a nice kernel panic right after the opencore picker.

I will wait for the release version, hoping that something changes or ... that some Intel users have the same problem !!

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@baronerosso Next time I talk to one of them I will ask for you. 👍

kode54

AMD OS X Member
I also had a black screen at one point. This new extension also requires a newer version of Lilu than 1.5.0.

bondpham

AMD OS X Member
why it not work for me?
I use WAG 1.4.7 , no kernel panic, no black screen, only screen flicker when boot and still green screen when open Apple TV+

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@kode54 Well done bro, that's why it wasn't working for some people, your right. Nice one :)

@bondpham Replace your Lilu.kext with this one and let me know if its working for you now please?

Attachments

• Lilu 1.5.1.zip
    64.5 KB · Views: 10

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
With Lilu 1.5.1 I have no blackscreen, or rather I have the blackscreen that I can bypass, and no KP at startup, but ... green screen with Apple TV.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.