First experience with this. OpenCore guide is not helping me much. -Help

FRZA

AMD OS X Member
Hello, and let me preface this by saying this is my first attempt at this. So I have been trying to use the https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/ to get this (hackintosh in general) to work. I was fine up until the parts about the config.plist and GenSMBIOS. Thats where I got really confused. So I ended up finding a premade opensource installation for FX processors and it will not boot. Off hand maybe I did not make it properly bootable? But it has the boot file in the root directory. I am referring to this:
I just copied the EFI files (in the text under the video) instead of going with the one I made during the dortania tutorial because I could not make sense of it. The premade one I got seems to have the same stuff I put in during the tutorial so it should be nearly identical. My main issue is it's not booting to installation when I go to install it still.

CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Radeon R7 200 series

Maybe there's an easier way of doing this now? I need some sage advice and I'm sorry if this seems stupid, I really have tried to find the best way of doing this. I have worked on this for hours.

Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Did you change the core count in the AMD Kernel patches? The FX8350 is an 8-core CPU. Your FX6300 is a 6-core CPU.

The FX6300 system I owned didn’t have a UEFI Bios, it had a Legacy Bios, and required a Legacy Boot entry along with the EFI folder to boot macOS. My FX8350 system has a UEFI Bios.

FRZA

AMD OS X Member
Oh great you have done it on the same processor! Could you tell me how well it performs? Which OS did you use? Is there an easier way than the dortania tutorial? Maybe you could share your EFI folder with me? As I said in my postI am having trouble with the config.plist right now. Very confused!

Thanks!

FRZA

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I managed to "frankenstein" (meaning tried a few different things at once) my usb drive up (I don't have a mac) and it errors with a "boot mismatch" but it still goes onto the MacOS setup screen where I cannot select a disk. So I went into disk utility of the USB macOS installer and non of my drives are showing up. I tried formatting the desired drive with windows because I have no mac, I used diskpart a lot. I have 2 HDD's and a SSD connected, but am trying to use the one HDD. I tried several different drive formatting options - like the apple file systems (APFS) and a default NTFS through diskpart. It did not help.

Maybe I am missing a .kext or something?

I'm not sure what information may be needed to further this situation along but am happy with any help and would love to provide something that may help me.

VERY old computer/motherboard/BIOS - There really isn't a whole lot of features to turn on and off but I looked for AHCPI options and could not find anything on it. - Also pretty sure the firmware is way out of date in case that matters.

Trying to install macOS Catalina on:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200

Thank you!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The FX6300 system wasn't good with macOS, due to its age. I donated it to a family member who needed a Windows PC for light gaming and internet browsing.

The boot mismatch is likely related to the 'Boot' file that accompanies the EFI folder, it is probably missing or incorrectly set. To fix this you need to run the BootInstall_X64.tool which can be found in the /OpenCore-0.7.9/Utilities/LegacyBoot folder as shown below. Assuming you are using the latest version of OpenCore.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 20.44.25.png

The SATA drives not showing up in Disk Utility, in the macOS installation wizard, is not unusual. This is normally related to the SATA drives not being set as AHCI in the Bios. You should find the relevant section fo the Bios as shown below:

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 20.50.38.png Screenshot from motherboard manual showing AHCI SATA options.

Link to MB manual (English) - https://download1.gigabyte.com/File...0_e_04.pdf?v=80d4c311936d9507c3f3de7aae6cec76
Link to MB Specification page - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60/sp#sp

Logically if you want me to help, you need to provide a copy of your EFI folder, so I can see what you are using and how it compares to my old (OC 0.5.8) EFI.

Just remember to delete/redact the serial number from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.