FCPX on Ryzen 9 3900x/RX 580 - will I benefit from going Intel?

rajovo

AMD OS X Member
I have an otherwise perfectly working Big Sur OpenCore Hackintosh with Ryzen 9 3900x (12c/24t) and RX 580 8 GB. I'm using it for FCPX mainly. Rendering to H264 is barely faster than my old 2015 27" iMac with a 4c/4t i5 6600 and Radeon M395x 2 GB, which is insane... BruceX takes 28 secs compared to the 2015 iMac's 37. I expect more from a 6x faster CPU (I know the scaling isn't linear) and faster GPU.

I know my Ryzentosh is missing Quicksync. I use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS but I obviously don't have a T2 chip.

Question is: if I switch to a 10850k, will I see an appropriate speed increase? Does GPU and Quicksync acceleration work in tandem or is it one or the other?

I don't see a definitive answer here nor on r/hackintosh. Some people say that GPU acceleration (with RX 580) is faster than the iGPU Quicksync but I DEFINITELY don't see that. My GPU acceleration is fully working according to VideoProc and vdADecoderChecker. People also say that the iMacPro doesn't have quicksync as it uses Xeons, but they omit the fact it has the T2 chip that handles the H264/265 encoding/decoding, so a Ryzen Hackintosh with iMacPro SMBIOS isn't really the same thing at all...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.