Failing to boot macOS after CPU change (3800x - 3950x)

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys

First post here.
Long strory short, i had a full working macos catalina and windows installtion.

After changing my cpu (3800x to 3950x) I thought it wouldn't be a problem. But now getting stuck at bootloader page.
Do i need to reinstall the whole oS? I need a few files on that drive as well :/

any help would be great.

Gigabyte x570i
ryzen 3950x
16gb corsair vengeance
rx5700xt
500gb nvme
500gb nvme

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Which bootloader page? If you are using OpenCore and can get to the boot picker I suggest clearing the NVRAM.

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Which bootloader page? If you are using OpenCore and can get to the boot picker I suggest clearing the NVRAM.

Tried clearing NVRAM and also booted MACos recovery, it stops early on. But not sure how to check errors from there.
Tried booting from backup usb as well. same results, just stops after loading some file. and gets stuck on the bootloader page.

Using opencore 0.5.8 , luckily didn't encounter any error on that and has been using macOS for around 1 month or more without any problems, that said, i'm still very new to the scene and not so familiar with the other words being used here.

Cheers

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Update OpenCore with the latest release. Ensure you check the config for any changes or use this, https://opencore.slowgeek.com/

If it still doesn't boot enable verbose ( -v ) and share an image of where it gets stuck.

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Update OpenCore with the latest release. Ensure you check the config for any changes or use this, https://opencore.slowgeek.com/

If it still doesn't boot enable verbose ( -v ) and share an image of where it gets stuck.
Hi Admin,

Sorry to get back so late. been pumped with work. Anyway, Would love to do an update for opencore but i have no idea where to start . I have my bootable usb,

I'm also not familiar where to do the verbose -v . Sorry I'm fairly new to the scene. I have the last log where its not logging in.

Prior to this, only change was cpu. Hope this helps and i'll answer your queries the best I can

Attachments

• opencore-2020-06-29-152951.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Hi Admin,

Sorry to get back so late. been pumped with work. Anyway, Would love to do an update for opencore but i have no idea where to start . I have my bootable usb,

I'm also not familiar where to do the verbose -v . Sorry I'm fairly new to the scene. I have the last log where its not logging in.

Prior to this, only change was cpu. Hope this helps and i'll answer your queries the best I can
also my current config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    39 KB · Views: 1

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member

After trying to follow a post based on https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php?threads/asus-bios-upgrade-stuck-eb-log-exitbs-start.546/

had to change these two configurations in the OC:

• RebuildAppleMemoryMap = True
  • SetupVirtualMap = False;
As i just remembered i did a bios update on it as well. But still not booting up.attached an image on where it stops as well.

Attachments

• opencore-2020-07-24-010507.txt
    256 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200724_005809.jpg
    20200724_005809.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
If anyone could help. Desperate as i need to start working on something and i need to pull out my keys from 2 softwares i use inside.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try with this. Also as you've got npci=0x2000 in your boot args make sure you've got Above 4G disabled in the BIOS or remove that flag.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • config.plist.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Try with this. Also as you've got npci=0x2000 in your boot args make sure you've got Above 4G disabled in the BIOS or remove that flag.
will test now ,

yes just tried turning it in on as the other page says enable. Ill disable it back and report back

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member

Omg you are a genius, im back in. What were was wrong with the config.plist I have?

Thanks so much mate, appreciate it.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Nothing really. You can't have Above 4G and npci enabled as they conflict.

CatsPaw

AMD OS X Member
Nothing really. You can't have Above 4G and npci enabled as they conflict.
But just tried the 4g on my last attempt. my earlier ones it was turned off originally. Just wanting learn more :) I'll be backing up and creating new image as ill be adding a permanent drive for the macos. Also what would you recommend for WiFi Card m.2 with handshake if possible :) currently looking at 1820/1820A/1830/1560 dell nic

Appreciate your help . Almost panicked for all licences in it.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.