Extremely slow boot time after upgrade

fakeyspinach

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,
I wonder if someone can give me some clue on this.
So usually it took me <20 seconds to boot in Big Sur.
I've upgraded to Monterey today and suddenly after the upgrade it takes more than 2 minutes.

1. Observing with eyes it mostly hang around somewhere like launchd- doing boot task : boot-root
  2. I've tried different Trim timeouts but this doesn't seems to change anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'd assume you have a Samsung SSD then? Trim is misbehaving on Samsung NVMe SSDs and they need 1-2 minutes to TRIM the disk...

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

brendan_siow

AMD OS X Member
I have this issue when I included my own USBPort.kext from hackintool for USB mapping. The boot up is much faster after removing the kext. Anyone has the same issue ?

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Registered an account just to say I’m having the same problem, on a 970 Pro. Guess we need a patch.
I also have the Samsung 970 Pro NVME but it works like a charm, boots really fast.
I upgraded directly from BigSur (I think it was 11.6.1) to Monterey (12.0.1). However I don't have a USBPort.kext in the kext folder.

Also in TRIM seems to be working, at least it tells me in SystemReport that TRIM Support is enabled.

Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I use a Samsung 980 and today and yesterday (EFI untouched since Monterey switch) at cold boot there's a crash or a crash/reboot (that doesn't leave a log trace). In all instances the second time around the boot goes through fine (also relatively quick) and the system afterwards is solid.

Code:
panic(cpu 8 caller 0xffffff802091eda7): assertion failed: so->so_usecount > 0, file: /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/b8ff8433dc/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-8019.41.5/bsd/net/content_filter.c, line: 3078
Panicked task 0xffffff856df206a0: 253 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

Anyone else have this new behaviour (new to me at least and I haven't touched my EFI. Maybe controller related?) Maybe time to switch to a different boot drive...

eye

AMD OS X Member
I use a Samsung 980 and today and yesterday (EFI untouched since Monterey switch) at cold boot there's a crash or a crash/reboot (that doesn't leave a log trace). In all instances the second time around the boot goes through fine (also relatively quick) and the system afterwards is solid.

Code:
panic(cpu 8 caller 0xffffff802091eda7): assertion failed: so->so_usecount > 0, file: /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/b8ff8433dc/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-8019.41.5/bsd/net/content_filter.c, line: 3078
Panicked task 0xffffff856df206a0: 253 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

Anyone else have this new behaviour (new to me at least and I haven't touched my EFI. Maybe controller related?) Maybe time to switch to a different boot drive...
I think it can be due to Kexts order in your config file, be sure AMD Ryzen Cpu power management and SMCAMDProcessor (if you have) are in the order in your config.plist. AMD Ryzen Cpu power management should be first, SMCAMD second, be sure no other kext between these two.

eye

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,
I wonder if someone can give me some clue on this.
So usually it took me <20 seconds to boot in Big Sur.
I've upgraded to Monterey today and suddenly after the upgrade it takes more than 2 minutes.

1. Observing with eyes it mostly hang around somewhere like launchd- doing boot task : boot-root
  2. I've tried different Trim timeouts but this doesn't seems to change anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I had something similar with Monterey USB installer. I believe it is something about device properties. Add All devices to your config file and install all kexts those you used on BigSur. At least I managed it with these steps. Hope helps.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I think it can be due to Kexts order in your config file, be sure AMD Ryzen Cpu power management and SMCAMDProcessor (if you have) are in the order in your config.plist. AMD Ryzen Cpu power management should be first, SMCAMD second, be sure no other kext between these two.

I'll see what order they are in, thanks for the tip! I've never seen this behaviour so never gave it much thought. Had a cold boot today that went without any error, so it's kinda weird.

MuttakinHasib

AMD OS X Member

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Because I was seeing unexplained freezes under Monterey and Black Friday was upon us, I got myself a Western Digital SN750 1TB to replace my Samsung 980 (which I can use in a different machine). My boot time from the picker to Monterey login screen dropped from 1:10 to about 27 seconds. I have not seen any weird freezes either (not system wide but would notice it while typing). Reboots and shutdowns are way faster too.

voiddreamer

AMD OS X Member
When I upgraded from Big Sur (normal boot) to Monterey (slow boot), I set MaxKernel to 20.99.9 on NVMeFix and both FakePCIID kexts (or you could just disable or remove, but I chose not to) and my boot time improved to sub 30 seconds. So if anyone is also using these kexts, it's worth a shot.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.