Medicineman25

AMD OS X Member
Hey there,

I'm a recovering server admin that recently bought some really big boii hardware and then realised I hate technology and just want things to work. So I'm looking to reuse my hardware but simplify the setup.

Use case is media production, so I would want capabilities around using final cut or alternative softwares with a video card. Also pro audio with a separate audio card.

The system is a gigabyte mz72-hbo mobo with 2x EPYC 7402 CPUs. Vid card is RX6600. Audio is Digigram LX-IP.

Options I've considered are as follows:

• Linux with KVM snore
  • Windows 10 bare metal, a security nightmare but it works
  • A hackintosh, stable?

I don't mind doing a couple of things here and there if they are known issues that don't affect productivity, beyond that if I need to maintain a system like I do with Arch Linux for example... then I would simply go with Win10 bare metal.

Thanks in advance!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
In theory it would work just like a Threadripper. You'll have too many cores for macOS though and it won't boot. They'd need limited. To be honest your best route have that amount of CPU available would be a KVM on Linux booting both Windows and macOS.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee Not quite, although Threadripper CPUs are very similar to Epyc and the Sockets are physically identical, the platform isn't.
Threadripper uses a chipset similar to Ryzen (TRX40 is basically X570), while Epyc is an SoC without a dedicated chipset.

Threadripper Pro is more similar to Threadripper in that regard.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry I meant as far as the kernel patches. They should work :D

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
True, but like TRX40, there might be significant work required to get macOS to run bare metal.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.