Does it really matter that my hard drive is showing as an external drive on the desktop?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I installed Catalina 10.15.4 on my Gigabyte B450 I with Ryzen 2nd gen 2600 and it is all working just fine. Well, apart from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but I will buy a Broadcom adapter for that.

The one thing I missed when sorting the plist and ACPI was the fix for the hard drive so that it doesn't display as an external drive on the desktop.

Right now I have a very stable system and am very happy with it so my question is, does it really matter that the hard drive shows as external? Is it a cosmetic thing or does it affect performance in some way? If it is just cosmetic I would rather not tinker with what I have but it if affects performance I might want to sort it.

Bjar

AMD OS X Member
Pretty sure it is just cosmetic. Personally, it would drive me nuts though.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks. I was pretty sure it was a cosmetic thing. I have a 35" UHD screen so it doesn't actually bother me at all. I have all sorts on the desktop so an extra icon or two doesn't affect me.

I may clone the system to another drive and then make the adjustments to the plist but right now I just wanted to make sure it was not a "must-do" sort of thing?

Last edited:

tony535

AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.