Clover Experimental Patches

• Hello Guest. Before you post check the Troubleshooting guide here, Dortania Troubleshooting
  • Hello Guest, although it is possible to install Big Sur on AMD with our experimental patches. We won't provide support until Apple release the final build.

savage001

Jun 4, 2020
Hi all, I’m putting a call out to see if anyone has the skills/knowledge to convert the latest experimental patches for OpenCore to Clover.
I and others am working with Clover devs on insanelymac to get Big Sur booting on AMD with Clover with OpenCore integration but I feel the OC patches may be hindering progress. Clover native patches would be the preferred use case.
Is there any reason why the Clover patches have not been converted from OC?
With the release of Big Sur hopefully coming soon it would be nice to get Clover fully up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage001

Jun 4, 2020
That's a bit like asking "with the advent of electric cars, why haven't steam engines been installed?"
I could not find an appropriate gif to say what needs to said so I’ll leave it alone and hope for some more intelligent replies.

Aluveitie

May 2, 2020
When support for Clover was dropped they already stated the reason as Clovers kernel patching is inferior to OCs.
Big Sur showed again that the design principles behind OC are more solid than Clover. Clover already uses parts of OC, so why not directly use OC?

savage001

Jun 4, 2020
When support for Clover was dropped they already stated the reason as Clovers kernel patching is inferior to OCs.
Big Sur showed again that the design principles behind OC are more solid than Clover. Clover already uses parts of OC, so why not directly use OC?
Because I and a lot of others prefer the way clover handles operating systems other than macOS. Not everyone has the skills / knowledge to stop the boot camp effect that OC pushes into other operating systems.

sos86

Aug 28, 2020
some more intelligent replies.
Why thank you! I'm glad further intelligent replies have indeed been forthcoming.

For those less perceptive of an analogy than your good self, it's because many of the technologies and coding in Clover have become cumbersome patches upon patches. To remedy the situation would be the equivalent of trying to adapt very slick new technology into a very old and no-longer-fit-for-purpose platform. In other words, Clover has become the Win 98 of hackintosh. Sure, some still use it, but like PPC-based Macs, that was then, this is now.

To return to the automotive analogy - Clover is a cartwheel, OpenCore is a 17" low profile mag wheel. Sure, you can try to bolt the cartwheel to the modern car with patches, but the case for doing so doesn't encourage enthusiasm to do so. Hopefully some more intelligent replies will continue to be added, with associated GIFs.

Last edited:

savage001

Jun 4, 2020
So far we have had success on 1 threadripper system and 1 X570 system adopting kernel patches into Clover, so the mags are fitting but need an alignment.
What we do need is a larger showroom of people willing to test / adopt / help.