Changed from B450 I to A520 Motherboard plus Ryzen 3600 Gen 3 now stuck on Apple logo

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I had Catalina 10.15.7 working fine on a B450 I with a Ryzen 2600 however I could never get the Bluetooth or Wifi to work. I bought a Fenvi 1200M wireless card but forgot that my B450 I doesn't have the PCI-E slot for it.

I then bought a Gigabyte A520M DS3H so I would have the PCI-E slot but, of course, my Ryzen 2600 is Gen 2 and doesn't work on that board. Schoolboy error. Should have paid more attention to the spec :(

Anyway, I have now bought a 3600 which should work on this A320 board.

The problem I have now is that the machine boots but only to a black screen with the Apple logo on it. This makes me think I should have changed some settings in the EFI? But I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Your title says A520, but your post says A320.

If it is the A520, that is the board I have, there are two things to check:
1. You have to have SSDT-CPUR.aml
2. SetupVirtualMap must be false

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks, yes that was a typo, it is the A520 motherboard that I have.

The SSDT-CPUR.aml where do I find that? I know I don't already have it in my ACP folder in the EFI.

The SetupVirtualMap in the config.plist is set to true at the moment.

Is there anything else specific in the Bios that I should enable/disable? I used the guide that Shaneee pointed me to but those settings didn't help, I assume because it is the EFI where the problem is?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok, so I added SSDT-CPUR.aml and changed SetupVirtualMap to false. I also added your SSDT-RHUB.aml and USBPorts.kext. Not sure if that was the right thing to do? I have not yet tried it with the A520 board. Will those changes cause problems with my current B450 I board?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Tried it and it still only goes to the black screen with the Apple logo. Bit lost for ideas now. Must be something simple that I am missing.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
My files will only work with the A520 board.
So what we need to do is find where it is stalling at.
Add -v to your boot-args in the config.plist and take a picture of where it stops.
What video card are you using?
The SSDT-RHUB.aml and USBPorts.kext enable all the USB ports on the Gigabyte A520M-DS3H.
Did you try with your numbers added to my config.plist?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I was going to try with your config.plist next. I do have my install cloned to another drive so if it all goes wrong I can revert to that :)

My graphics card by the way is the XFX 7870 2GB. Old but it works fine in Catalina.

I have attached my current EFI however I had to remove two kexts, IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext and IntelBluetoothInjector.kext as the compressed file was too large. I don't think these two kexts do anything anyway as Bluetooth and Wifi have never worked on my system. Perhaps there are some clues in there somewhere?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
That EFI won't work with an A520 board. Update to OC 0.6.8 and try my EFI files.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I updated to OC 0.6.8 and used your config.plist, adding a serial, board serial and UUID. But now on boot I no longer get to the Apple logo. I just see:

"ocs no schema for apple event at 3 index"

I assume there is a problem with the config.plist?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
My bad, I'm still on 0.6.7, sorry!
Lets try this EFI

Attachments

• MY_EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 11

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Ok, I updated to 0.6.8
I removed the boot-arg for Navi GPU's from the config.plist
Remember to add your numbers
Here is the new EFI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 10

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for all your help with this. I tried that latest EFI you posted but all I get now is a black screen with the Gigabyte logo on it.
IMG_3366.JPG

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
If you have Above 4G Decoding enabled in your BIOS, disable it.
Make sure CSM is disabled in the BIOS also.
We seem to be going backwards.......:(

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I have tried with 4G encoding disabled and enabled, also I always have CSM disabled.

Can it be anything to do with the differences in graphics cards and memory? You have the Asrock Challenger Pro RX5600xt and I have the much older XFX 7870 2Gb card in my machine. Also you have 32Gb TeamForce DDR4-3600 ram and I am using Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0.

I am probably clutching at straws there. Just trying to figure out what is different about the system that lets yours work and mine gets stuck on the bios logo.

By the way, we are talking about Catalina 10.15.7 OS, right? You haven't upgraded to Big Sur by any chance?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok my bad. Just realised when looking at the first post that you are indeed running Big Sur! I think this may be the source of my problems. I am on Catalina 10.15.7

So I think the way forward is for me to attempt to upgrade to Big Sur whilst on my B450 I and then try swapping in the A520. The only question now, is how to do the upgrade. I assume I need to update to OC 0.6.8 before I do anything else?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Catalina and big sur should both work, the efi's are the same for AMD builds.
All I can think of at this point is to try different USB ports and/or different USB drives.
The config.plist/EFI I posted here does not have the boot flag enabled for the RX 5600xt.
The B450 and the A520 are two different beasts as far are setup goes, what works on one will not work on the other.
I have no problem running Catalina on one drive and Big Sur on another, I used Open Canopy to choose which one to boot. I rarely use Catalina anymore though. I just removed the Catalina drive last week so I can play with the new Big Sur betas now.
I just this week updated to OC 0.6.8, everything still works.
You can try resetting NVRam, load BIOS defaults, disable Above 4G and CSM and try again.
You can also try disabling WEG in the config.plist.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the info etc. Right now I am stuck.

I have two drives with Catalina installed. I keep one as a backup in case an upgrade goes wrong, which it has here.

My main drive is the WD Blue SN550 500GB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD and that is what I have tried the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur on. I have another SSD with the cloned version of Catalina on and that is what I am using right now. It makes it easier to test different EFI's on the main drive.

So I am not using a USB drive for all of this.

I would be doing all this on the A520 but I only have one machine here. So it means having to keep swapping out motherboards every time I want to test a new setup.

With that in mind perhaps it is better to attempt a clean install of Big Sur from USB stick on the A520? Probably makes more sense to do it that way but then how do I change things in the EFI if it doesn't work. I think I would still need two machines. I do have an iMac but the backlight has failed. It still works on an external monitor. Perhaps I should wheel that out of retirement.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
When I replaced mine I made the changes for the A520 to the EFI, shut down and swapped everything over to the new A520 board. It booted right up, all I had to do after that was map the USB, been working great! I upgraded from a Asrock A320 board with Ryzen 3600 to Gigabyte A520 with Ryzen 5800x. It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet sometimes, wish I could see it for myself. This is my 3rd hack and my second AMD, the first was intel. So sorry it's not working for you!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.