+1
It's a plist, I've edited mine with ProperTree and it works fine

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Bansaku What language is your system setup in?

@v0id125 What system version are you trying this on?

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@v0id125 American English should be en.lproj

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@v0id125 I've not found a definitive way yet to fix that.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@v0id125 In the old forums was a detailed post about this issue. In short, Apples Code has a bug where in this case it ignores localization. To fix it you'd have to modify the binary... probably not worth the effort.

wild_eep

AMD OS X Member
I was able to successfully edit my CPU name, but had to do it slightly different than Shaneee's tutorial.

1. When mounting the root partition, I got the following error:

$ sudo mount -uw / mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted mount: / failed with 77

To overcome this, I disabled SIP by editing my EFI config.plist to change the csr-active-config setting to E7030000 in the NVRAM section.

2. My Processors.strings file was not in an XML format like in Shaneee's tutorial. So I couldn't use a text editor (Atom in my case) to edit the file. Instead, I used ProperTree.

Success!

EDIT: After this was all done, I re-enabled SIP by changing the csr-active-config setting in the config.plist back to 00000000.

Last edited:

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
It'll be en_CA or just en for English Canadian.

Well, I copied over the whole damn AppleSystemInfo.framework folder over from my back-up OC system and... I still have nothing displayed under System Info.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 2.06.39 AM.png

Funny thing is in OC the CPU is reported as Intel i5 3.60 GHz. I am guessing this fix only works with OC?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
In Clover you can change the CPU Type to 0x8064 and it'll show as unknown. I think that's the correct value.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Bansaku
have the same issue as you, not sure what the problem is, but the machine in itself is working perfectly.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 22.16.51.png

jthunternz

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Great guide! Worked for me, just gotta use some initiative to get it done.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 2.49.12 PM.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@slead if it just shows the frequency Catalina will ignore the localization, it's a bug in the code. You can either patch the binary (there was a post in the old forum explaining the situation) or change the cpu type. This option was just added to the OC master, in the upcoming OC 0.6.2 you could do that.

Apple has fixed this in Big Sur by the way.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Any Big Sur patches?

Codester

AMD OS X Member
Any Big Sur patches?
You are going to have to break the seal on your System just to attempt it. It honestly isn't worth it just for a cosmetic change.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.