Catalina (10.5.6), Ryzen 9 3950x/ROG Strix X570F/ROG Strix RX5700xt

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Started the hardware build last Saturday, completed the software build a couple hours ago (I work slowly. ;) I've owned Macs since 1987 and have been building PCs since 1982, but this is the first time I've built a Mac from scratch. Many thanks to the AMD-OSX and OpenCore teams for the most fun build I've ever attempted.

Near as I can figure, everything works - audio, USB, iMessage/Facetime/iCloud, App Store, Movies, Music, etc. All of my apps run fine, including the iWork suite and Office 365. I'm using the OpenCore 0.5.9 Debug build.

Hardware:
  • Ryzen 9 3950x
  • Asus ROG Strix X570F motherboard (no onboard WiFi)
  • Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black CPU cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4/3600 RAM (4 x 32GB)
  • Samsung 970 Pro SSD 1TB
  • Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX5700xt 8GB graphics card
  • Fenvi T919 Bluetooth/WiFi card
  • Corsair LL120RGB case fans (total 6, including 3 to replace the Phanteks case front fans which are not pin-compatible with the Asus motherboard)
  • EVGA Supernova 850W 80+ Platinum PSU
  • Phanteks Eclipse P400A case, mesh front/black
  • Samsung 32" U32J590UQN monitor

Drivers:
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • CrScreenshotDxe.efi
  • HfsPlus.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi

KEXTs:
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • IntelMausi.kext (the motherboard has an Intel I211-AT LAN port)
  • Lilu.kext
  • NVMeFix.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext

Everything else per the AMD-OSX patch kit, OpenCore 0.5.9 Debug build, and a very careful step-by-step following of the OpenCore documentation. Everything is on the stock/out-of-box settings for now; over the next little while I'll be tweaking and overclocking for even more performance.

Attachments

• inside front.jpg
    inside front.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 62
  • inside rear.jpg
    inside rear.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 59
  • running 1.jpg
    running 1.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 47
  • running 2.jpg
    running 2.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 53
  • running 3.jpg
    running 3.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 65
  • running 4.jpg
    running 4.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 68
  • running 5.jpg
    running 5.jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 63

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Nice ! Congratulations ! a long time i haven't seen an Asus Mobo.
How you doing video editing ?

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Nice ! Congratulations ! a long time i haven't seen an Asus Mobo.
How you doing video editing ?
Haven't actually tried that yet - my video editing so far consists of cleaning up my class lecture recordings from Zoom using iMovie. If all goes well, I'll give that a shot on my Tuesday networking class. My students are eager to see the new machine as well. ;)

I've been using Asus motherboards in my builds for, what, 25 years now? Longer, probably. I've had really good luck with them, and the X570F avoids the problem of wonky WiFi, by virtue of not having any. The little Fenvi card has been absolutely brilliant.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Haven't actually tried that yet - my video editing so far consists of cleaning up my class lecture recordings from Zoom using iMovie. If all goes well, I'll give that a shot on my Tuesday networking class. My students are eager to see the new machine as well. ;)

I've been using Asus motherboards in my builds for, what, 25 years now? Longer, probably. I've had really good luck with them, and the X570F avoids the problem of wonky WiFi, by virtue of not having any. The little Fenvi card has been absolutely brilliant.
Ok have you done any benchmarks ?

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Great choice of CPU & Cooler! I'd be interested to know if your SideCar works OK?

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Ok have you done any benchmarks ?

Just some preliminary ones, since everything is currently stock; first order of business was just making sure everything worked and getting my apps/data migrated.

However, a quick run through CineBench 20 on the upgraded 2010 Mac Pro this machine will be replacing showed the following result:
2010 Mac Pro (2 x 6-core 3GHz Xeon, 128GB, Sapphire Pulse RX580): 2876
AMD Hackintosh (R9 3950x, 128GB, Asus ROG Strix RX5700xt): 9265

Geekbench 4 showed the following:
Mac Pro 2010 CPU single: 2679, CPU multi: 19686
Mac Pro 2013 CPU single: 3583, CPU multi: 25689
MacBook Pro 2019 (Core i9) CPU single: 5649, CPU multi: 30481
Surface Book (1st gen, Core i7) CPU single: 2917, CPU multi 6457
Surface Studio (1st gen, Core i7) CPU single: 3215, CPU multi 13935
AMD Hackintosh CPU single: 5688, CPU multi: 57603

There's almost certainly a lot more performance in the Ryzen where that came from; once I get it tweaked and tuned, I'll run a full suite of benchmarks. Even so, it's already the most powerful machine in the stable by a factor of more than 2. I'm particularly pleased by how thoroughly it mops the floor with the Surface Studio, though that may be somewhat catty of me. ;)

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Great choice of CPU & Cooler! I'd be interested to know if your SideCar works OK?
Thanks. That Noctua is a monster, but it sure seems to get the job done.

Haven't tried Sidecar yet - with a 32" monitor, I haven't really felt the need. ;) That said, both WiFi and Bluetooth work, so there's no theoretical reason why it wouldn't.

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Thanks. That Noctua is a monster, but it sure seems to get the job done.

Haven't tried Sidecar yet - with a 32" monitor, I haven't really felt the need. ;) That said, both WiFi and Bluetooth work, so there's no theoretical reason why it wouldn't.

I only ask because I have the same WiFi card, CPU and similar Navi GPU and I seem to have problems with SideCar because of a driver issue which is present on the OS. (3950x, Gigabyte Aorus Master X570, Catalina 10.15.5, OC 0.5.9)

I am currently running a 34" UW monitor but would find it useful when programming.

I have the exact same error messages as this user reported on the acidanthera bug tracker - I found it from searching the errors from Console.app on the iPad for the SideCar process: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/589

If you get around to trying it I would be interested to know.

Buki

AMD OS X Member
@ scottkellyfa711
Can you please share the EFI, since we have almost the same rig.

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Just tested Sidecar yeterday; sadly, it doesn't appear to work. It looks like it does connect to the iPad Pro, but no joy when I try to use the iPad's display to put app windows on.

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
Just some preliminary ones, since everything is currently stock; first order of business was just making sure everything worked and getting my apps/data migrated.

However, a quick run through CineBench 20 on the upgraded 2010 Mac Pro this machine will be replacing showed the following result:

Geekbench 4 showed the following:
Mac Pro 2010 CPU single: 2679, CPU multi: 19686, CineBench 20 2876

There's almost certainly a lot more performance in the Ryzen where that came from; once I get it tweaked and tuned, I'll run a full suite of benchmarks. Even so, it's already the most powerful machine in the stable by a factor of more than 2. I'm particularly pleased by how thoroughly it mops the floor with the Surface Studio, though that may be somewhat catty of me. ;)

After a few BIOS tweaks:
AMD Hackintosh: CPU Single 5926, CPU Multi 62620, CineBench 20 9265

scottkellyfa711

AMD OS X Member
@ scottkellyfa711
Can you please share the EFI, since we have almost the same rig.
This is the complete EFI that I used for initial installation. The config.plist I'm actually running now has additional mods per the OpenCore post-install guide to permit FileVault and other features; strongly recommend validating the settings using ProperTree. However, all the drivers and KEXTs are unchanged. Also, I've deleted the serial numbers/ROM IDs so you'll need to generate those using GenSMBIOS.

I'm using the OpenCore v0.5.9 Debug build with the AMD-OSX patches applied.

Attachments

• EFI for sharing.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 73

Buki

AMD OS X Member

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Just tested Sidecar yeterday; sadly, it doesn't appear to work. It looks like it does connect to the iPad Pro, but no joy when I try to use the iPad's display to put app windows on.

Thanks for checking it out, if you check Console.log for "SidecarDisplayAgent" "SidecarRelay" and "avconferenced" you will notice the errors, from what I can work out the problem is due to the unsupported VBIOS of the GPU in macOS. I don't have another GPU to try, but I suspect that it would work with a Polaris card

If you're not planning on running lots of multi-threaded applications you can consider undervolting the CPU for better thermals and longevity - I have recently done it on my 3950x and see high load temp's only reaching high 50's - little to no performance drop off either. I was able to to undervolt the CPU by 100 mV.

Potato007

AMD OS X Member
hi,
  • does sleep work?
  • did you check if the USB port speeds are correct?
  • any issues with USB drives after waking from sleep?
thanks

blossroom

AMD OS X Member

Catalina (10.5.6) file link download ?​

how to create flash disk intaller ?

beembuilds

AMD OS X Member

Geekbench 4 showed the following: cryptocurrency
Mac Pro 2010 CPU single: 2679, CPU multi: 19686
check gaming site here freeoceanoffgames

Haven't tried Sidecar yet - with a 32" monitor, I haven't really felt the need. ;) That said, both WiFi and Bluetooth work, so there's no theoretical reason why it wouldn't. check subwooferbeast

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.