Can't Install Anything Other Than Current macOS (10.15.6)

marp

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to roll back my new macOS install to 10.15.5, but everything I try only installs 10.15.6. I'm doing this to suss out compatibility issues with some of my apps.

• For good measure I wiped my SSD and USB to start from scratch.
  • Made sure the only thing in the macOS downloads folder of gibMacOS was 10.15.5 and copied the path
  • Normal procedures with config, kexts, drivers - copy and edit accordingly - do an OC snapshot, again for good measure - save and go
  • I would try Mojave, but my 5700XT is not supported in the OS as far as I understand.

Questions:
Is there something in the config I'm missing that references 10.15.6 (or most current OS)? Searching for any reference in the config file for "Catalina" or "10.15.6" yields nothing.
When you launch "Reinstall Mac OS", does it just pull from the internet? I tried unplugging my ethernet and doing it completely offline, but it won't let you.
Once 10.15.6 is installed, is there a way to roll back from recovery or a USB created in MacOS? I know Apple posts updates on their website: https://support.apple.com/downloads/catalina (I havn't seen a full install on there since High Sierra)

Some context/background:
My EFI is based off of Aluveite's config for an AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX TB3 // 3900x // Navi build. I'm using a MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. I'm a newb at the hackintosh, but I have spent several months planning and probably 10hrs/day for the last 6 days trying to get this install running (BIOS tweaks kept holding me back). Trying to absorb as much as I can and read as much as I can, so it is possible I may have missed something.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to roll back my new macOS install to 10.15.5, but everything I try only installs 10.15.6. I'm doing this to suss out compatibility issues with some of my apps.

Questions:
Is there something in the config I'm missing that references 10.15.6 (or most current OS)? Searching for any reference in the config file for "Catalina" or "10.15.6" yields nothing.
When you launch "Reinstall Mac OS", does it just pull from the internet? I tried unplugging my ethernet and doing it completely offline, but it won't let you.
Once 10.15.6 is installed, is there a way to roll back from recovery or a USB created in MacOS? I know Apple posts updates on their website: https://support.apple.com/downloads/catalina (I havn't seen a full install on there since High Sierra)

My experience from the Mac side is that Apple tends to torpedo older minor versions of OS installs (you can download High Sierra, for example, but only the last major stable version). Even if you found a full installer, it might not work properly ("Cannot install this version on this Macintosh"). You might get more traction on research on the apps that are causing issues to see if there is more information there.. just my two cents.

pm

marp

AMD OS X Member
@thepensivemonk I figured it was something along the lines of older OS's vanishing from the Apple servers. After sitting on it, I think I'll just roll with it. I generally got my apps working regardless of official compatibility. I figure eventually it'll be compatible...maybe ha. Even on the Windows side, it's a pain to roll back to previous versions of Win10.

Plus, hackintoshing is a compatibility jigsaw puzzle to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.