Can't find values for _cpuid_set_info core count

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
Several success stories here for OpenCore 0.7.4/0.7.5 setup make a point of noting that with the new AMD patches, we must set our CPU core count correctly. We're instructed to look for the "algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package" nodes, and replace values like "BA000000 0090" and insert the hex number representing the number of cores in positions 3 and 4, i.e. "BAC00000 0090".

This is the same information I found online on Dortania.

The problem is that the config.plist files included in these success stories don't show these values anywhere. Sure, there are the three "algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package" section, but their "Find" and "Replace" section contain non-hex nonsense strings. Here's the complete Monterey section from one success story here:

<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<string>_cpuid_set_info</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package 12.0</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>wegaAAAA</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>kernel</string>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>//3/AAAA</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.99.99</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.0.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>ugwAAACQ</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>////////</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

As you can see, the "Find" section contains the non-hex string "wegaAAAA" and the "Replace" section contains the non-hex string "ugwAAACQ". Nowhere does anything like the strings described occur.

Since this issue comes up in several success stories using OpenCore 0.7.x, I'm obviously missing something. But what?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
It depends on what you use to view the plist file. That's base64 which you can covert to and from Hex. For example in what you've posted ugwAAACQ is ba 0c 00 00 00 90.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
It depends on what you use to view the plist file. That's base64 which you can covert to and from Hex. For example in what you've posted ugwAAACQ is ba 0c 00 00 00 90.
I'm just using a regular text editor (BBEdit in this case, although the values appear the same in TextEdit). I'm not sure why the values would have been transcoded into Base64. Since my machine won't boot with the existing Base64 values, I'll try replacing them with the equivalent hex strings...

EDIT: Although I'm used to using a plain text editor to edit XML files, Opencore Configurator shows the values I expect.

Still not much luck, though. I can get the boot picker, but any attempt to boot crashes just as the progress bar under the Apple logo starts to fill in. No crash report is logged to the console, so it's kinda had to see what the problem might be. I'm using an Asus Crosshair VIII Impact with a Ryzen 3900X, so I'd hoped I could get a running start with a config from almost any X570 board...

Last edited:

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm just using a regular text editor (BBEdit in this case, although the values appear the same in TextEdit). I'm not sure why the values would have been transcoded into Base64. Since my machine won't boot with the existing Base64 values, I'll try replacing them with the equivalent hex strings...

EDIT: Although I'm used to using a plain text editor to edit XML files, Opencore Configurator shows the values I expect.

Still not much luck, though. I can get the boot picker, but any attempt to boot crashes just as the progress bar under the Apple logo starts to fill in. No crash report is logged to the console, so it's kinda had to see what the problem might be. I'm using an Asus Crosshair VIII Impact with a Ryzen 3900X, so I'd hoped I could get a running start with a config from almost any X570 board...
If you like, I can upload my EFI.
I could adjust the config.plist for the 3900x.
Just let me know.
I have the Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Hero, so also a board from Asus.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@dramsey upload your EFI and I’ll check it for you.

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
@dramsey upload your EFI and I’ll check it for you.
Thanks! It's really just the EFI posted by the guy in the "Success Stories" section who was running a 3900X on an X570-based Gigabyte motherboard; since I'm running a 3900X on an X570-based Asus motherboard, I was hoping that I could at least boot with it once I edited in my serial number and such.

Nope.

When I set up my previous OpenCore 0.5.7 installation-- which I'm currently using to run Big Sur-- I had only a single entry in the ACPI section, a custom SSDT I built describing my motherboard's USB ports. This has worked fine. I notice the new 0.7.x configs posted here list a LOT of stuff in the ACPI section, and I wonder if one of them could be the problem?

Anyway, here's my current EFI folder as described above.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 2

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Give this a go. Which motherboard exactly btw?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Head into your BIOS and enable Above 4G and try again.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Disable ResizableBar for now. If it doesn't work disable Above 4G and add npci=0x2000 as a boot arg in the config.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Please do. Hopefully it will give me a starting point!
Took me a bit, but here it is.
I have randomised the platform ID, you can fill in yours.
I have adjusted the kernel for your 12 core 3900x.

Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 13

dramsey

AMD OS X Member
Adding the npci parameter to boot-args did it. A little embarrassing since this is the way my original config was set up. Thanks!
One question: Back in the day-- i.e. when I was configuring the old version of OpenCore for my Ryzentosh-- I had to go through a tedious process of mapping my logical USB ports to the physical USB 2/3 ports on my motherboard. I used this information to compile a custom SSDT to get all my ports to work.

However, they all work fine with the new OpenCore, which admittedly includes a lot more stuff under the ACPI section than did my old one. I assume some "universal" solution has been found for enabling USB?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.