Can someone who knows confirm this spec for me?

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
Hi All,

Just joined and planning on building this week. Have previously done an intel system a few years back and fancy a project. Could someone with better knowledge than me just give me a quick confirmation that I am not planning on using any parts that will cause issues. I have selected them based on other users success stories and cost. @Aluveitie has the same build for MB & Processor and seems to be pretty quick etc just want to know the other components won't cause problems.

I currently run a Mac mini with egpu so the idea of this is to take its place and I am trying to spec it enough that I don't need to change anything in the near future.

Cheers!

Motherboard - ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 Mini ITX Thunderbolt 3 AMD Motherboard Model X570 Phantom GAM ITX

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor

RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (may go to 32Gb)

Fans - Corsair LL120 LL Series, 120 mm

PSU - CiT FX Pro 700W Power Supply
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0829FJRJB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Cooling - Corsair CW-9060033-WW H100i

Case - NZXT H510

SSD - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280

Total cost of the above is coming in just under £1100 from Amazon.

Already have an RX580 in the eGPU I will take out and put in this and a couple of HDDs / SSD sitting about that I will add. Any thoughts welcomed, its been quite some time since I built one so I may be off with any part of it.

Plan is to run Catalina on one drive and Windows 10 on another completely
separate. May in the future change to a second NVME to have one for each.

One thing that I can't seem to solve from forums clearly is if I need a separate bluetooth / wifi card?

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Looks good so far. I don’t know the fans but I’d verify you can connect the RGB directly to the mainboard (either the 12v RGB header or the 5v addressable RGB header). Otherwise you may end up with something unusable under MacOS. The RGB RAM you can configure under Windows and it will persist even when powered off. The AIO can be controlled with liquidctrl under MacOS but will prevent sleep when connected by USB (I’ve connected it externally an pull the plug if I want to put it to sleep).

Bluetooth can be made working well but not perfect (Bluetooth mic is not working). Wifi too but AirDrop etc wont. If you rely on Wifi/AirDrop I’d replace it.

But why would you put a MiniITX board into an ATX case? ITX boards usually cost more for the same feature set due to the size constraints. You could find a good ATX board for a similar price which would make building and later extending much easier and the case would look less empty.

If you have room with your budget I’d not cheap out on the power supply. I don’t know the brand but the PSU is where I’d rather take a good quality one.

Last edited:

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
@Aluveitie Thank you so much for taking the time to check it over - the advice is exactly what I was after, wouldn’t have known to check that.

I will get it all ordered tonight and should be here for Friday so you can expect further questions in a few days! I’m going to change to 32Gb ram, ebuyer have it for £100 (Patriot Viper) and it seems daft not to pay the extra. Then I just need to settle on a case, I have it in my head that the NZXT will look huge in my office so want to check other options.

Thanks again.

edit - sorry I totally missed your comment about the ITX / ATX case. Looking at ITX cases they will be quite restrictive for airflow so may make more sense to switch the board to an ATX instead. On that basis, what ATX board would be best?

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Sorry, I was on the go and edited as things popped in my head.

I have a Phanteks Evolv Shift, talk about restricted airflow ;) (I recently went to a waterjet cutter to improve things and prepare for a custom loop I want to try to build later this year).
The 3900X does not produce that much heat, and the newer ones are even more efficient. Even with my H80i 120mm radiator I only reach 70 degrees when running things like Cinebench, in normal workloads I'm still well below 70 and fan noise is still under control.
I think the NZXT H200 (ITX) would have more than enough airflow for your build, especially with an 240mm radiator.

Todays board come with most features you need so I don't regret going ITX, the small footprint was worth the additional effort while building in it.
But I forgot to mention that the ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX has only one M.2 NVMe slot since you mentioned you might want to add another one later.

Regarding ATX, this was my first PC build since 15 years after I switched to Macs so I don't have much personal experience with other boards.
I just liked this one and went with it even though at that time there was no confirmation that MacOS would run on it.
Recently I watched the X570 roundup from Buildzoid and the ASRock X570 Taichi would pack a lot of features for its price, Gigabyte also has some nice options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.