can i run osx on this system ?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, it can run macOS High Sierra, for sure.
  1. You need to follow the AMD OC Guide for a Bulldozer (15H) system.
  2. Use the AMD patches set for a 4-core system.
  3. The UEFI > APFS MinDate and MinVersion entries in the config.plist need to be set for High Sierra.
I'm not sure if your AMD HD 7450 supports Apple's Metal, as it is not a common discrete GPU. It uses the Caicos chip, which I am sure was used in some older HD5000 cards. All of which lack Metal Support. MacOS High Sierra doesn't require Metal Support, unlike the newer versions all of which do require Metal support for full graphics acceleration.

Here is a link to a Success story for a similar FX CPU and motherboard setup. You could use the EFI posted in this thread as a basis for your own. But remember the pointers in the list above, especially items 2 & 3.

ranoureldin6

AMD OS X Member
Yes, it can run macOS High Sierra, for sure.
  1. You need to follow the AMD OC Guide for a Bulldozer (15H) system.
  2. Use the AMD patches set for a 4-core system.
  3. The UEFI > APFS MinDate and MinVersion entries in the config.plist need to be set for High Sierra.
I'm not sure if your AMD HD 7450 supports Apple's Metal, as it is not a common discrete GPU. It uses the Caicos chip, which I am sure was used in some older HD5000 cards. All of which lack Metal Support. MacOS High Sierra doesn't require Metal Support, unlike the newer versions all of which do require Metal support for full graphics acceleration.

Here is a link to a Success story for a similar FX CPU and motherboard setup. You could use the EFI posted in this thread as a basis for your own. But remember the pointers in the list above, especially items 2 & 3.

thanx my fried

the main problem is with my GPU it's very old
and it cause me several problems with several linux distros

do you think it'll work fine ??

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, your HD7450 should work in macOS High Sierra, even though it is old. Just not with the VGA connector. The DVI connector would be your best option, then the HDMI connector.

I used an AMD HD6450, which is from the same TeraScale2 family and uses the same Caicos chip as your HDS 7450 card, in a couple of Xeon Sandy Bridge systems. The dGPU worked OK up to High Sierra. It had full acceleration and worked with a 1920x1080 resolution easily. Couldn't manage the full 2560x1440 resolution on another display, but got close. The 2GB model is a better card and works smoother in macOS. I had both a 1GB and a 2GB HD 6450 and the 2GB card was much better.

I think the Hack's required with this card were fairly easy to add, like spoofing the device-id and using the 'Pithicia' framebuffer, all of which is simple to include in your OpenCore config.plist. I have a copy of a disassembled SDDT-HD6450.aml, which I am sure can be edited to work with your HD 7450, once you have macOS installed.

It will never win any races, or perform brilliantly, as that is not what it is designed for. It is a low end, basic graphics card that would be fine for a HTPC, general computing tasks, watching a movie in HD etc. Don't expect it to work well with any graphics intensive processes, such as CAD or Photoshop image editing or anything along those lines.

ranoureldin6

AMD OS X Member
Yes, your HD7450 should work in macOS High Sierra, even though it is old. Just not with the VGA connector. The DVI connector would be your best option, then the HDMI connector.

I used an AMD HD6450, which is from the same TeraScale2 family and uses the same Caicos chip as your HDS 7450 card, in a couple of Xeon Sandy Bridge systems. The dGPU worked OK up to High Sierra. It had full acceleration and worked with a 1920x1080 resolution easily. Couldn't manage the full 2560x1440 resolution on another display, but got close. The 2GB model is a better card and works smoother in macOS. I had both a 1GB and a 2GB HD 6450 and the 2GB card was much better.

I think the Hack's required with this card were fairly easy to add, like spoofing the device-id and using the 'Pithicia' framebuffer, all of which is simple to include in your OpenCore config.plist. I have a copy of a disassembled SDDT-HD6450.aml, which I am sure can be edited to work with your HD 7450, once you have macOS installed.

It will never win any races, or perform brilliantly, as that is not what it is designed for. It is a low end, basic graphics card that would be fine for a HTPC, general computing tasks, watching a movie in HD etc. Don't expect it to work well with any graphics intensive processes, such as CAD or Photoshop image editing or anything along those lines.
yes this pc is for general use
surfing the internet
watching videos
no more
i'm not a gamer at all

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is an OpenCore EFI folder using OC 0.7.6, which has been configured for a 4-Core FX CPU to run macOS High Sierra.

Add this EFI folder to the USB installer you have or will soon create for macOS High Sierra.

Your Graphics will be used in VESA mode during installation and for the first part of the post installation setup. This means the resolution will not be great, but it is expected and it will only be like this till we sort out some other issues. As Without knowing which ACPI address and device ID your HD 7450 uses I can't add the correct information to get full acceleration working.

This assumes your bios is UEFI capable. If it isn't then you will need a legacy boot file to get this OC setup running on your system. I can amend the EFI folder to make it work in Legacy Mode if necessary.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

ranoureldin6

AMD OS X Member
Here is an OpenCore EFI folder using OC 0.7.6, which has been configured for a 4-Core FX CPU to run macOS High Sierra.

Add this EFI folder to the USB installer you have or will soon create for macOS High Sierra.

Your Graphics will be used in VESA mode during installation and for the first part of the post installation setup. This means the resolution will not be great, but it is expected and it will only be like this till we sort out some other issues. As Without knowing which ACPI address and device ID your HD 7450 uses I can't add the correct information to get full acceleration working.

This assumes your bios is UEFI capable. If it isn't then you will need a legacy boot file to get this OC setup running on your system. I can amend the EFI folder to make it work in Legacy Mode if necessary.
it's BIOS no UEFI

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok, give me a little while and I will create an EFI folder with the necessary Bios/Legacy options.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is the EFI folder but with the necessary Bios/Legacy boot file created, plus these changes:

I have replaced HFSPlus.efi driver with HfsPlusLegacy.efi.
I have removed a couple of kexts that probably won't work with your system.
I have added VoodooHDA.kext as that will probably work better with your Audio codec.

Make sure you add the boot file and the EFI folder to the EFI partition on your USB installer. One won't work without the other!

Attachments

• Bios.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.