Broadcom WiFi works, BT doesn’t

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone. I’m new here.
my life’s story is in the introduction thread ;)

So this is my first hackintosh and second attempt at it.
I’ve used OC 0.6.4 since that was the one used in the tutorial I followed.
(Perhaps that’s part of the problem?)

So when I noticed BT wasn’t working, I tried:

1. The Broadcom fix kexts. No succes.
2. added brcmfx-driver=2. No succes
3. Tried to map the USB ports. No succes.

I’m a little stuck with the mapping. I used the dortana guide and the example kext they link to. When I finished modifying that and added it to my efi/plist, my hack wouldn’t boot anymore. Invalid info in kext #4…
So I reverted back to the efi version I had before.
Then I found a different version of USB.map online which is formatted a little differently (e.g. with some X64 related terms added IIRC) with the suggestion that since Mojave, they changed to this format. I haven’t tried porting my map to that format yet because I’m out of my depths and I’m not sure if there’s an error in my original map that caused it not to boot, whether the kext format was the issue or something else entirely.
It also feels like I’m stacking ineffective fixes upon each other which is probably not wise.
I’m also not sure how important it is to use latest versions or the versions specified in tutorials. I decided to play it safe and follow the tutorials, but feel I may be messing with bits that don’t support my newer bios version, OS or whatever.

in short… I’m a little lost in the woods here. Any insight from experience would be greatly appreciated.

DanMak89

AMD OS X Member
It probably is most likely to do with USB mapping. Does your BT use one of your USB headers? I would perhaps give the mapping and custom kext another shot.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
It probably is most likely to do with USB mapping. Does your BT use one of your USB headers? I would perhaps give the mapping and custom kext another shot.
Thanks.

The BT is part of the Broadcom M.2 and it does show up as a USB device.
So it’s not on a normal USB header but I guess M.2 qualifies as port type 255 too, right?

In any case: BT is greyed out in control panel and no BT preference pane appears.

I didn’t quickly find anything wrong with my USB map. Not that that means it’s flawless…

one question about that:
There’s a box in there for each controller called ‘port-count, that I was told needs the highest number port added specified. That’s what I’ve done. However, I’m wondering if it should not be the SUM of Porte added. In a consecutive range, this wouldn’t differ, but since I’m skipping some unused ports, these numbers do differ. Does that make sense?
I guess I’ll try porting to that different format usb map kext next.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ve sunk waaay too many hours into this one problem already :D

Last edited:

DanMak89

AMD OS X Member
Thanks.

The BT is part of the Broadcom M.2 and it does show up as a USB device.
So it’s not on a normal USB header but I guess M.2 qualifies as port type 255 too, right?

In any case: BT is greyed out in control panel and no BT preference pane appears.

I didn’t quickly find anything wrong with my USB map. Not that that means it’s flawless…

one question about that:
There’s a box in there for each controller called ‘port-count, that I was told needs the highest number port added specified. That’s what I’ve done. However, I’m wondering if it should not be the SUM of Porte added. In a consecutive range, this wouldn’t differ, but since I’m skipping some unused ports, these numbers do differ. Does that make sense?
I guess I’ll try porting to that different format usb map kext next.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ve sunk waaay too many hours into this one problem already :D

Have you used something like IORegistry or Hackintool to identify your Bluetooth device? If so, what does it show up as?

Regarding port count, it just needs to be the highest number. So if your highest numbered port is 0800000 etc. then that's what you'd need to put in your port count.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Have you used something like IORegistry or Hackintool to identify your Bluetooth device? If so, what does it show up as?

Regarding port count, it just needs to be the highest number. So if your highest numbered port is 0800000 etc. then that's what you'd need to put in your port count.
Thanks.

I used IORegistry.

Attached is a table of my current map (after I did an XHC1 rename).
Also note that the TB3 port will show a USB device, but TB3 is not working yet. That's for another day though.

I just googled again and I found another dortania page (I think I'm losing my mind) with slightly different information and a different (AMD specific) USB map example. I'm going to take that and build a new map. See if that works. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll find the time required to do so.

Note that after the rename, all the USB ports worked for both 2.0 and 3 even without a custom map.
Before the XHC1rename, one port didn't work for 2.0 but did for 3.0.

DanMak89

AMD OS X Member
Thanks.

I used IORegistry.

Attached is a table of my current map (after I did an XHC1 rename).
Also note that the TB3 port will show a USB device, but TB3 is not working yet. That's for another day though.

I just googled again and I found another dortania page (I think I'm losing my mind) with slightly different information and a different (AMD specific) USB map example. I'm going to take that and build a new map. See if that works. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll find the time required to do so.

Note that after the rename, all the USB ports worked for both 2.0 and 3 even without a custom map.
Before the XHC1rename, one port didn't work for 2.0 but did for 3.0.

Hmm, seems legit. Maybe share your info.plist from your custom kext and I can compare it to how I built mine just to look for obvious errors if any? I know I had some difficulty with IORegistry so ended up using Hackintool for my BT. My BT is connected to a 6-pin controller however.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Hmm, seems legit. Maybe share your info.plist from your custom kext and I can compare it to how I built mine just to look for obvious errors if any? I know I had some difficulty with IORegistry so ended up using Hackintool for my BT. My BT is connected to a 6-pin controller however.
Thanks, here it is.
I may have messed up in that one, somewhere I can't immediately discover.

I'm going to port the info over to my newfound AMD-USB-Map.kext from dortania.
Maybe it was the format, or maybe it was the data. See if you can find something weird in this file.

Thanks a bunch for even willing to do this though, it's MUCH appreciated!

Attachments

• Info.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 4

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Thanks, here it is.
I may have messed up in that one, somewhere I can't immediately discover.

I'm going to port the info over to my newfound AMD-USB-Map.kext from dortania.
Maybe it was the format, or maybe it was the data. See if you can find something weird in this file.

Thanks a bunch for even willing to do this though, it's MUCH appreciated!
So, I've built a new info.plist from the AMD-USB-Map.kext I found on dortania.
Now, I haven't tried booting with it yet.
Something's got me confused. Namely the 'rename' part.

You see, I've created this map with the IOregistry readout AFTER enabling an XHC1 rename in OC.
This changed the ports (and revived 2.0 functionality on one, but by itself didn't fix BT for me).
I'm just doublecheking whether this is the order in which I should do things:

-enable XHC1 rename
-check IOregistry
-build USB map

If so, I'll try booting with this soon.

Thanks

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
I tried to boot with the new USBMap that I took from the AMD specific dortania example>
At first it gave the same error (kext 4 has invalid data).
Then I remembered to reset VRAM 2x so I did and then it boot.
But, no difference. BCM shows up under USB but not under BT.

I'm wondering whether it didn't boot from the internal EFI without the kext anyway.
Is there any way to see once booted, which EFI it used?

Anyway, here's the info.plst if anyone can figure out if there's any invalid data in it.

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• Info.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 0

elixir

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone. I’m new here.
my life’s story is in the introduction thread ;)

So this is my first hackintosh and second attempt at it.
I’ve used OC 0.6.4 since that was the one used in the tutorial I followed.
(Perhaps that’s part of the problem?)

So when I noticed BT wasn’t working, I tried:

1. The Broadcom fix kexts. No succes.
2. added brcmfx-driver=2. No succes
3. Tried to map the USB ports. No succes.

I’m a little stuck with the mapping. I used the dortana guide and the example kext they link to. When I finished modifying that and added it to my efi/plist, my hack wouldn’t boot anymore. Invalid info in kext #4…
So I reverted back to the efi version I had before.
Then I found a different version of USB.map online which is formatted a little differently (e.g. with some X64 related terms added IIRC) with the suggestion that since Mojave, they changed to this format. I haven’t tried porting my map to that format yet because I’m out of my depths and I’m not sure if there’s an error in my original map that caused it not to boot, whether the kext format was the issue or something else entirely.
It also feels like I’m stacking ineffective fixes upon each other which is probably not wise.
I’m also not sure how important it is to use latest versions or the versions specified in tutorials. I decided to play it safe and follow the tutorials, but feel I may be messing with bits that don’t support my newer bios version, OS or whatever.

in short… I’m a little lost in the woods here. Any insight from experience would be greatly appreciated.

i have the XhciPortLimit set to "TRUE" in OC 0.7.0 and 0.7.1

so far no intermittent problem on BT.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Thanks!

I’m running 0.6.4 though as per my instal tutorial. Might updating OC and kext versions to current standards help?
Port limit was true until I added the kext. I was told I needed or ‘could’ turn that off afterwards.

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
Hey, I've had the same issue yesterday trying to make a bcm94360ng work with bluetooth. It turns out I had to use usbmap and use the menu option 'Generate ACPI to reset RHUBS'. I then compiled the als output file and added it to my efi folder. After a reboot, I was able to see it on usbmap and map my usb.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Hey, I've had the same issue yesterday trying to make a bcm94360ng work with bluetooth. It turns out I had to use usbmap and use the menu option 'Generate ACPI to reset RHUBS'. I then compiled the als output file and added it to my efi folder. After a reboot, I was able to see it on usbmap and map my usb.
Thanks. I’m definitely going to look into that. I’m currently in the process of updating my functional EFI to the latest OC standard & kexts. I figured, up to date was a good place to start. Once I’ve got that booting with recommended settings, I’ll try your fix.
With work, a young son and house remodelling going on, it’s tricky to even find an hour a day to mess around with this ;).

lesnico

AMD OS X Member
Good luck! it's always best to be up to date :) Don't hesitate if you need some help with usbmap ;)

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
Thanks!

Ok, I booted successfully with the new EFI but now I'm in an appleID unexpected reboot loop.

You see, on my original EFI (which seemed to work fine with iCloud) I had no serials entered. Just the default W000000000001 etc.

Now for this new EFI I followed the guide and generated serials.
When I booted it asked for the iCloud password again, 2 step verification and then it said some functions won't work until I sign in again. When I proceed I get unexpected reboots.

I tried to revert the config back to the default serials but i'm still getting freezes etc.
I wonder how I should proceed. This is distracting me, but I do wonder if the serial business is a required step I should get out of the way.
It's funny, that my original EFI seemed to work just fine without one.

Any advice?

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
I got iCloud to leave me alone, but I'm still experiencing instability (unexpected reboots) in the 0.7.1 EFI. I'm in the dark on what could cause that.

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
I can't seem to get this 0.7.1 OC version to run stably.
I've updated kexts, tried to make the config match my 0.6.4 EFI more one's, but all to no avail.
It freezes and reboots within minutes of booting.

Maybe I should go to 0.7.0, since that's the latest supported version by dortania?

rayaranas

AMD OS X Member
I can't seem to get this 0.7.1 OC version to run stably.
I've updated kexts, tried to make the config match my 0.6.4 EFI more one's, but all to no avail.
It freezes and reboots within minutes of booting.

Maybe I should go to 0.7.0, since that's the latest supported version by dortania?
did you update your kernel patches? I have updated to 0.7.1 OC from 0.7.0 OC. For the past week it has ben solidly stable so far.

Below is the link for the kernel patch:

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member

HellFrozeOver

AMD OS X Member
So I replaced the kernel patches with the one you suggested but that results in a frozen login screen, with or without the AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext they suggest.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong ;)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.