Black screen after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLock... on RX580

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Hello fellow ryzentoshers!

Today I've tried to install hackintosh using Dortania guide and it went very well untill post-install welcome screen. It's booting normally but right after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLock... (the stage when graphics drivers being applied) screen becomes black, GPU fans stop (the same as while booting windows) and nothing is responding. After while (approx. 2 min) it's just reboots. BIOS settings are should be fine (Above 4G enabled, CSM disabled), different display connection scenarios don't change anything (all hdmi and dp ports, both single- and dual-display scenarios). However, it boots perfectly in recovery partition (and using both monitors with correct resolution and framerate) so I can't stop thinking the problem is somewhere in kexts.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
Hello fellow ryzentoshers!

Today I've tried to install hackintosh using Dortania guide and it went very well untill post-install welcome screen. It's booting normally but right after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLock... (the stage when graphics drivers being applied) screen becomes black, GPU fans stop (the same as while booting windows) and nothing is responding. After while (approx. 2 min) it's just reboots. BIOS settings are should be fine (Above 4G enabled, CSM disabled), different display connection scenarios don't change anything (all hdmi and dp ports, both single- and dual-display scenarios). However, it boots perfectly in recovery partition (and using both monitors with correct resolution and framerate) so I can't stop thinking the problem is somewhere in kexts.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Above 4G enabled = no use of npci=0x2000 boot arg. If you have NVRAM/Boot Arg npci=0x2000 then "disable" Above 4G decoding.
Do you have whatevergreen.kext?

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Above 4G enabled = no use of npci=0x2000 boot arg
Yes, I did that. Also, with Above 4G disabled and npci=0x2000 it won't pass the [ PCI configurations begin ]
Do you have whatevergreen.kext?
Yes, this is my kexts:
Code:
AppleALC.kext
AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
Lilu.kext
NVMeFix.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
Drivers:
Code:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi
And ACPI is just SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml and I wonder if I need anything else like HPET.
Alse, I'd like to try some GPU debug mode (e.g. w/o hardware acceleration) if there is any.

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
So I've decided to continue my attempts to install hackintosh after a couple of month. Now I've tried to generate my own SSDTs, different MacOS versions and tried EFI from other people with similar configuration... and I've came to nothing. Just admitting a few new details:
1. That #[EB|MBA:CL] ... stage is far more rapid in other's EFI, can't figure out why. Mine is waiting about a minute after selecting partition and going with about 1 string per 2 seconds.
2. When I'm connecting single display with DVI I'm not getting black screen after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLock... but I'm getting Apple logo with loading bar at start which not moving and restarts in few minutes anyway.
3. If I set -radvesa and agdpmod=vit9696 boot flags I don't get apple logo but endless logs like this:
Haven't found solutions for this problems or even people with similar issues. Although I've followed Dortania's docs and checked everything several times I tend to have some unique issue. Or I'm just too tired after spending tremendous amount of time and actually screwed everything up, can't say. I'd rather just attach my current EFI folder if someone is here to help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Tried a few new combinations including Catalina, formatting volume in macOS Extended Journaled and removing all other HDDs and SSDs, no result. There is a variant of black screen which showing grey screen with barely visible Apple logo and working cursor that disappears in few moments. Configs from this post suddenly enabling macos voiceover when boot hangs, don't know what can it mean. But I still never get to post-install welcome screen... Will try it further.

dmls

AMD OS X Member
There are two versions of Rx 580, shader 2304 and 2048 on the market. Mac can only drive 2304 version 2048 which needs to be brushed into vbios.

dmls

AMD OS X Member
For EFI configuration, you can refer to [URL='https://github.com/mikigal/ryzen-hackintosh']mikigal/ryzen-hackintosh: OpenCore EFI for AMD Ryzen Hackintosh (github.com)[/URL]

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
There are two versions of Rx 580, shader 2304 and 2048 on the market. Mac can only drive 2304 version 2048 which needs to be brushed into vbios.
I think I have 2304 version so this should not be the case. Meanwhile I start thinking that macOS is not properly installed at all and I wonder is it ok that installer created by downloading BaseSystem by python script is about 600 MB while proper installer from macOS is a few gigs?
1644943241704.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You are talking about the difference between the Internet Recovery method and the Full Installer methods for installing macOS.

Internet Recovery:
A lot of people now use OpenCore and the Internet Recovery method, where the basic installation files are downloaded and installed by the python script. The main macOS installation files are downloaded as part of the Installation process, directly from Apple's Servers. If your Ethernet controller is not enabled and you don't have the correct kext in the /OC/Kexts folder you can't use this method. As it requires a working internet connection. This keeps the initial setup on the USB small (600MB), as the installation files are not downloaded till the installation process starts.

Ful Installer:
Previously you had to use the CreateInstallMedia method, where you first downloaded the full macOS installer to the Applications folder on another Hack or a real Mac. This DMG was then restored to a USB pen drive using a Terminal command. So the full installation setup was Restored to the USB. This took up between 5-7GB for older versions of macOS, with newer versions being around 12-13GB in size.

Both work, but as a lot of people are coming from Windows, don't have another Hack or a real Mac to use to create a full installer, the Internet Recovery method is becoming more common.

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
You are talking about the difference between the Internet Recovery method and the Full Installer methods for installing macOS.

Internet Recovery:
A lot of people now use OpenCore and the Internet Recovery method, where the basic installation files are downloaded and installed by the python script. The main macOS installation files are downloaded as part of the Installation process, directly from Apple's Servers. If your Ethernet controller is not enabled and you don't have the correct kext in the /OC/Kexts folder you can't use this method. As it requires a working internet connection. This keeps the initial setup on the USB small (600MB), as the installation files are not downloaded till the installation process starts.

Ful Installer:
Previously you had to use the CreateInstallMedia method, where you first downloaded the full macOS installer to the Applications folder on another Hack or a real Mac. This DMG was then restored to a USB pen drive using a Terminal command. So the full installation setup was Restored to the USB. This took up between 5-7GB for older versions of macOS, with newer versions being around 12-13GB in size.

Both work, but as a lot of people are coming from Windows, don't have another Hack or a real Mac to use to create a full installer, the Internet Recovery method is becoming more common.
My ethernet kexts working well, at least in the installer and recovery partition Safari has access to Internet and can load pages. So if there is downloading additional files stage, should it be mentioned somewhere during installaion like 'Downloading installation files'? I didn't noticed nothing like this. Moreover, I've used to install hackintosh back in the day using Clover and can't say if installing process is changed, for me it's going the same way.

Anyway, this is very useful information, at least this is the reason to try making full installer USB, thanks a lot!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The part where the Recovery process downloads the macOS files is not a standalone stage. It is hidden within the macOS Recovery/installation wizard/process, it is not a stage where you have to do anything specific.

I always use the CreateInstallMedia process to make my installers. The only time I use the Recovey method is when I am fixing or playing with a real Mac. I reinstalled macOS High Sierra on an old MacBook Pro yesterday, because the WiFi wasn't working while the bluetooth worked just fine. Don't know how my friend managed that but that is where the recovery method comes in handy, as I could reinstall High Sierra without losing any of his Applications or files.

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
So I've tried a full 13GB USB installer of both Monterey and Big Sur and it seems to end up the same way. After install it won't pass to welcome screen and causing a restart loop.
At least, there is slight differences between what was earlier:

1. What I see right before black screen or apple logo with loading bar (both lead to reboot)
1645283886011.png
2. It can show apple logo with either progress bar at very start and slightly more than half and cursor (both lead to reboot)
1645284040839.png
3. It seems to pass the apple logo a couple of times without any special boot arguments or tweaks but there is notable artifacts and inability to do anything (don't lead to reboot, can last forever)
pUba9GXNT5bjbNTzlvEzp4ozLEkSeFB0eHdWw05hw7W3Gq5RhhWqO0nvEbSMGx6WbNtXrJL1DJHUCzGZ2k-FVIWyDJIGqDTFENq5XxBt_pEN-Nljgi7zJ-ZH0JBiS23bmqm-WeGHpOROIoUUnmEwmdYHlS963qMiu1OgCuO5f-D1pvOlNslfTEK6hReY1aqCdWBTvMKjNPrU7uAhx3qLsAshfJte3fdOvItGRu4qcx3g2avq9B3Lply-rCjRtOL9S24g0CrS36vEsQkPNMmpVgnXz_mQegF2Kg9PpGV5lz9iQ9FvaO-J1r2Mlso191ZIlAtE4SVvaM6DeGZ6eAWlykZ084ckbEClJ3tQcETLlS9fSmZ11AgOIV2KH1Cd_1kqfZg81KUNivcMAI5bJFfBU7g-C3wRH6aXayG6Buak-ZB8uB8mUXCXtiHmxVymIy4wT6n-kxppQ4hfqwYDRyBWQgyIBntyli64HdijkZlOPl27FYXA0i4rC8leJ0TFKUnJX4SXE5EGx6haIXRuoW0lqLkfiOA5F1c6oDut4Ks-bDdqy8rLrgfDvfs6Dx-C7NJ-nWbLOCdi1VdYR42o2rHAJNpTtTI4QIqUS5aoBTlDXbznKazz1IPvmqn026IfgyO9FXhpUrrefSCmkKFH6zzVi823nvPQpZ04eeiLtsIAjzCVFw4GoBOOk7WmKY6jQnqN2MKhkHIbuPP7AqMmZcjLmApk=w1826-h1369-no
G3dTbh1Sa-TS4Yrhhu_apEKEQaoGxQqM87tDZE3jWJBTzkw_2oQ5QJYZoQu7MLhTfOYkNFvIHwK-eCroMWpMswbxVVMNrS5cpHFsgWojTMNCxCkBe_8mQJ5GJ3-CtTvdK0Uewn2iN-6bvbmtDWPzmbT9TWVRJ-Y2gF1F9S8YJzqu4Udic7u6blECBmqrqTBHKziMgHipkiHdB8HZcotKp_ACGO7jwGzyVlPaFxz9EKYJhGYdiMzoTlE7qjoHHvMIE3XFsBmPM5nsFEHP00i93FH6BVXaohEgfcnikAKXcrcM_Wgu9tVeQAwDgbpvXafy0r-cp22pNlBBZQeafmcoBrIgrvyFIhSr7nwcPTSrFAJVnzuV1QH0kspBMYZHdX9a5xWAa-3bcVhfHBj4BHZs1Ui5sB2lPsieHocfhPsQtu5P03tPK3Z-stH6kwDn36SgKyYLv1dk9DDogo1rlGpZCzdBqmEHOhyxQB9qqowl0S_f_z5AvcqYmPsdsZssNOXZvLyNUIvz9mEvPVuzgbDRuECvBfbiPR_NLRv3VPV7KnRea6zXING8UpHcZawpMDgCeuBa_oJwz4CVuiSW49oJMZrsDBgeNQbwPwJIG6iaSSSvQ7ZR1KhAAbP_sIb5C0EkHt1wV7KGPidrmiHIF5AgBYjoKpiSt21oZiGQplDfu52o5DfJSprCa2USE1GdGhb_P0v5QXDevP9MYKBJAwtUnELX=w1027-h1369-no
4. With -radvesa it will do the same as earlier (don't lead to reboot, can last forever)
Now I really don't know what can cause that and there is no similar issues in the entire Internet. I think I'm going to try Clover with some older macOS versions.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
First off. Trying to install Monterey on your MSI board was doomed from the start. Have a look around the Monterey forum, there is clearly an issue effecting all MSI motherboards when it comes to installing Monterey.

Second. How is anyone to help you if you don't provide a copy of your current EFI, as we have no idea what you are using or not using for these KP's to occur. I assume you are editing the /EFI/OC folder and config.plist to reflect the needs of the different versions of macOS you are trying to install? Or are you still trying with the EFI folder you posted here last Monday?

Using -radvesa boot argument will just set your system to boot in VESA mode (basic graphics and low resolution), instead of using full acceleration and the display's native resolution. Which your RX580 should provide Out of the Box in macOS, again assuming you are using WhateverGreen.kext and it is not an XFX RX580 card. AS XFX cards can be problematic in macOS.

Switching back to Clover is unlikely to provide a fix for your kernel panics. The latest versions of Clover have incorporated a large part of OpenCore to try to remain current and usable for Big Sur and Monterey. So don't try using anything newer than Clover_r5120, as it will probably result in similar if not identical KP's as you are seeing in OpenCore.

Spoiler No1,
  1. This shows you have AppleALCU.kext being injected. This is not the correct kext for your setup.
  2. Your MSI B450M Mortar motherboard uses the Realtek ALC892 audio codec, which is supported by AppleALC.kext not the USB version.
  3. Are you using SSDT-PLUG.aml with your setup?
  4. If yes, remove it as this is an SSDT designed for Intel systems. It is not used and not required for AMD systems.

Spoiler No2,
  1. Showing a screenshot with the Apple Logo and process bar, offers nothing useful to anyone, it is a complete waste of space.

Spoiler No3,
  1. This is as useful as spoiler No2, another waste of space.
Spoiler No4,
  1. Looks to me as your system is having issues with the APFS File System (fs_map...)
  2. This is possibly related to you neglecting to change the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries in your config.plist, to suit the version of macOS you are trying to install.
  3. This is a requirement in the newer versions of OpenCore.
I hope some of the above is helpful.

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
First off. Trying to install Monterey on your MSI board was doomed from the start
Dunno, I've seen this guy made it successfully, his build is very similar to mine.
Or are you still trying with the EFI folder you posted here last Monday?
This is my backup EFI, actually I tried many EFIs from different people with similar builds, modified it for my needs and different OS installations. Some of them didn't led to anything so for rest 'successful' EFIs it's almost the same result. If I'm not using obviously incorrect boot arguments and SSDTs it's not making big difference on those issues I've got. Attached one of them to this post.
Which your RX580 should provide Out of the Box in macOS
This is the way I've seen the logs of what happening under hood of apple logo.
AS XFX cards can be problematic in macOS
Although I have Gigabyte it doesn't make me feel calm about the GPU. I don't know if it can have some defect or even if it been refurbished because I've got it in used state. And the fact it works well in Windows doesn't mean it would work in macOS. So I think the only way to check this is to install this card to working hackintosh machine.
This shows you have AppleALCU.kext being injected. This is not the correct kext for your setup
But I don't use it, only AppleALC.
Are you using SSDT-PLUG.aml with your setup?
Nope. Any of Intel's SSDTs wouldn't allow me to even boot into installer. And I'm having successful installation every time. Everything I've described in this thread happening right where welcome screen should appear (or even instead).
Showing a screenshot with the Apple Logo and process bar, offers nothing useful to anyone, it is a complete waste of space.
This is as useful as spoiler No2, another waste of space.
Ok. Just thought it can be useful if there is any knows issue based on this behavior. Especially, artifacts.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
EFI/OC folder contents - Questions:
  1. Are you using an Intel or Broadcom WiFi/BT card?
    1. Which make and model of WiFi/BT card are you using?
  2. The reason I ask about the WiFi/BT card is because you have a lot of kexts that are related to both Broadcom & Intel WiFi & BT modules,
    1. When you should only be using/activating one WiFi/BT card to prevent any clashes between the devices.
  3. Where did you obtain the SSDT's in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder?
  4. Why have you copied the patches_OC.plist to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder?
    1. Did you add the patches to your config.plist?
  5. Where did you obtain the USBMap.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder?
    1. If you have a working USBMap.kext why do you have the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled in your config.plist?
    2. The two are mutually exclusive and should never be used at the same time.
  6. You appear to be using OpenCore 0.7.5, that is the date for three of the main components of OC in your setup (2 November 2021) OpenCore.efi, Bootx64.efi and OpenRuntime.efi.
The rest of the EFI is not bad, but it looks like you lifted it from someone without really know how to adapt it for your setup.

Try the EFI attached, it is setup for an AMD 6-core CPU to run Big Sur or Monterey. I would recommend you try to install macOS Big Sur in the first instance.

I have not included any WiFi or Bluetooth kexts in this setup. Try running it just using the Ethernet connection.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 2

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Well, I've tried your EFI with slight changes of removing npci=0x2000 and changing ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0 to be able to boot with Above 4G enabled and also set HideAuxiliary to false to be able to see USB installer. For my problem, it didn't allowed me to pass any further but there is a couple of details:
1. Post-install boot of volume with macOS now don't lead to boot loop, instead after first reboot it displays non-interactable white screen without cursor and won't reboot at all.
2. One of attempts led to some GPU driver failure (it was constantly clicking, restarting fans and LEDs)
3. Adding -radvesa shows pretty the same logs as before except I've mentioned it reacts on USB drive disconnect
yVbu7gVhsWWfANQnwzW2N_UnWXUAdtkSI9iBRXWTDi7FXt3iHDJ9zX2npKVl5F6Aq06NOn9trdoR6x0gvLIkhWccRnzRARVt_LJ2N_NxH904OzpMqAXDXmZ8Jf2GauX0ZQrz7bYUNahiV_TfML-LJ2JG8rc1Y5b5X7__g2OZV1I7TkJhE6nP9ApTJJMoTkTWOND3vPeFAYqLg5cnDzFwNfgw7SPHkoSIhhqRRXHWTAhEPkfLSGN2GnvhidDdZGex2T3wGgkAbVy49RmetiXhnCmsMQLKloiNZ-XFJLzdKkPEh7YZvgtAbi_FCIFqv-TSHt_3V4MZP_ScgMPoltHq9pryVIuD0nrO2vX0h0RRIH-xhAMokmoVoutbTv3RxwP_MAqsqyZQ44xKbx4vY09ulUN3FcTlvZLKiAMKQNoe8_ijSkETP2khlhm_VPiaz3TSHzbblSQoaxoLT7CiqbeIp6CacGNDUFH_F8NjaoQKT2EZwR_pHSLONkngy7C-uTjCuuCU3b_-VEj4uo90CuYs1mrlNnOC4XHdehYjkRcEglNQySkVheBxnRZ1eeHm_bQxYX_sPPB-xtF6hbYGb0-wCrhDsvYQrMlbDs5ry_Jh4TVvMLBb_ueKJzuwFEbbNVjQsGtdjH6RmYZ7OM86csLAoqfg8bBqHvMUHcrSoVTGTIyhrVgseHKrpneUW3rN76v4XpOoJ5WP0qpgxrxLgCB1E78=w947-h1262-no
LPRYMI5XorLcV7AQgtrjGOSC9QBQ61h_FUcfaPDJxi57VEUoasQppITXr8laOcYBh1cdM492fTRExXsjLEMhZDelr2Ge0VQ8eHl_IWB5nE2UJzNm2pgZ2ys-YC4_XbwYd4TFWIHCuoZbPjYA7LWjZQU29T5S0T-hrEmmZKjShs2OVRtYbglgpVp1fF8slLiHJppG7oL5cui_X5D8-c3ClqVOQnEuIQvMDK9i-2BbgaE6DexZH72VbZu7WbkJv34KEaD4aJwmqwYTL5vyKys2PYxptNSiIhbfegn_ZQkhLFWhzvUqVHh_AwHuZnqFv86DB7qBUufmWRk0993kLTavtx_jLCvfbwztHqEKCOIkFPjnr9qglMHVKPtRFfkH1-LMXYG3k7DSEPYrTSVA-pW1Y0RA3_1cLMKSqPqdO0K_dj7jx51Wp8IrgMD4GseAgigmDEcTHnkDHciLrmUh5dJQaIWasQ4v-RL9FZ1Q5oPwGDfaCR-hyqtGoyitjbzVnqtXBWGjl0uPo9nNjNYAxkZ5Kh_qOZO92YcZ5G51hp3kh8PQezO1WMc07oVcEszYy_j6CwBKviaS4F7S0SOwRuCEf_sCQv_9zWdD8IATnoWNrb04ueqLCcwIueghjiTt4UdY-eymcITFKRDb-N04kRFEZ7wHNZTbdT4UeV6yE9rjDn4Z9eM-Ksqv24FGcTEZyGlF7xqSuKKZmeIZJm0x8G_zkYM=w947-h1262-no
4. Also I should mention significantly increased boot time from selecting boot drive to beginning of Apple's logs (that #[EB|LOG:INIT]... stage, attached them to this post if those logs mean anything).

Attachments

• opencore-2022-02-20-134208.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
  • opencore-2022-02-20-140709.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Are you using an Intel or Broadcom WiFi/BT card?
I'm using USB bluetooth adapter withI believe Broadcom chip in it, at least manufacturer didn't mentioned this details on their website (Edimax BT-8500). Those kexts was already there and I've didn't touched anything that doesn't interfere with boot process.
Where did you obtain the SSDT's in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder?
These are my generated by SSDTTime
Why have you copied the patches_OC.plist to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder?
I guess it already was there
Did you add the patches to your config.plist?
I've added it with generated SSDTs and removed with SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP. Could just forget with some combinations.
it looks like you lifted it from someone without really know how to adapt it for your setup.
I've lifted it from one of guys with b450 setups and adapted everything needed for boot process. Everything about USB ports and other devices I was going to adapt at least after successful boot into OS.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The EFI you lifted from the other B450 motherboard owner, probably did have had some or all of those kexts. It was your responsibility to remove any unnecessary elements from the EFI, i.e. adapt it to suit your setup. As you don't have an Intel or Broadcom WiFi/BT device, all of those kexts are unnecessary and should have been removed.

As far as I can tell the BT-8500 dongle uses a Realtek chipset and driver. So it won't work with macOS. Definitely not with those Intel or Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth kexts. You would be best served removing the BT dongle and all the unnecessary kexts. Use a wired keyboard and mouse if you rely on BT for your normal devices to work. Or purchase a BT dongle that works with macOS, I'll give you a clue here - one that uses an Intel or Broadcom chipset and is supported by the kexts you need to remove.

Whatever you are doing seems to be messing with the APFS driver and the USB ports. The last screen image you posted in the Spoiler above, shows some relevant text:

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 18.17.48.png
  • UnMounted APFS Volumes.
  • Generic, Mass Storage (USB device) - Detected termination of Interface.
What do those two lines tell you?

swoy45

AMD OS X Member
Use a wired keyboard and mouse if you rely on BT for your normal devices to work
I don't rely on BT keyboard & mouse, the dongle is in use for audio, gamepads etc. So it's ok if it wouldn't work in macOS. But booting macOS without anything connected except keyboard & mouse is another thing, I'll give it a try.
  • UnMounted APFS Volumes.
  • Generic, Mass Storage (USB device) - Detected termination of Interface.
What do those two lines tell you?
I believe that everything after IOConsoleUsers is a backside of booted macOS welcome screen or something that prevents welcome screen. Because, as I've mentioned before, in this state it reacts when I physically disconnect USB stick (last two lines), the same will happen if I connect USB stick again.

As for APFS logs, I don't do anything special, this looks like some infinite mount-unmount cycle for some reason, at least it does this with my macOS installed volume 'ryzentosh' a couple of times on last screen image:
1645392287372.png

The volume itself should not be broken, it is visible in recovery and even in Windows using APFS for Windows:
1645392505166.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok, I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe someone else can offer you a solution.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.