Big Sur running great on 0.6.0 but can't upgrade to 0.6.2 or 0.6.3

Sandman

AMD OS X Member
I've been running on Big Sur for months without issue but I can't for the life of me upgrade to 0.6.3 (or 2). I have replaced all of the kexts with he latest, I have upgraded OC, and. I have sanity checked my config.plist. I have shrunk the build down to just Whatevergreen, VirtualSMC, and Lily.

Whatever config I try, it boots and runs for about a minute and then throws a CPU 23 doesn't have an assigned HPET error and restarts. If I revert to 0.6.0 it runs perfectly again. I can't upgrade to the newest Beta because it requires 0.6.2 at a minimum.

Here is my hardware:

Ryzen 3900X
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (WIFI)
XFX RX 5700 Xt Thick III Ultra 8GB
Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2
XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 3D NAND NVMe
HyperX Fury 32GB 3600MHz Ram

Config is attached.

Going crazy here so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You have to take the experimental kernel patches for Big Sur. Your config.plist has the normal ones, that will not work.

Sandman

AMD OS X Member
Thanks! I'm not sure how to do that but I'll read the guide again and see if I can figure it out.

Sandman

AMD OS X Member
Ok, I tried with the patches but it didn't help. Still. throws the Kernel panic after a minute. Attached latest attempt.

Sandman

AMD OS X Member
Upgrading to new beta 11.0.1 and using dummy power kext worked in case someone else runs into this

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yeah right, the DummyPowerManagement Quirk changed location between those two OC versions. If you place it in the right category you don't need the dummy power kext.
Best is to do every update instead of multiple at once.

sos86

AMD OS X Member
I've learnt a while ago, after several similar failure to boots after upgrading OC, that there are always changes between OpenCore versions which often necessitate changes in any given config.plist. So, I now go through it carefully every upgrade, comparing with the sample.plist provided (in the Docs folder of the OpenCore Zip file).

Then make sure I have the latest CPU patches from here: https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla/tree/opencore/17h (cutting and pasting using propertreemaster is an excellent / easy way to do it).

Finally, checking the new config.plist against the "sanity checker" here: https://opencore.slowgeek.com/

Since going through the above each OC upgrade, I've had much less head scratching.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.