Big Sur Public Beta on ASRock X570 Taichi

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Thanks to the experimental patches I was able to install Big Sur Public Beta on my ASRock X570 Taichi with Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core/24-thread CPU.

Some notes in case they're helpful:
  • This system has a 1TB NVMe SSD, of which only 250GB was in use. Hence, I split it into two 512GB partitions.
    • Catalina remains in Partition 1
    • Big Sur was installed in Partition 2
  • I'm using OpenCore 0.6.0.
    • First step was to upgrade existing Catalina installation from OpenCore 0.5.9 to 0.6.0 and ensure that Catalina was still bootable.
    • Then replaced Kernel Patches with the experimental version.
    • And booted back into Catalina to ensure that it was still bootable.
  • Next step was to create a USB install disk containing the Big Sur installer.
    • I didn't to an in-place upgrade directly from System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • In order for Big Sur installer to load, it was necessary to disable the following kexts in OpenCore config.plist:
    • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
    • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
    • Will re-enable them shortly to see if they'll work on an installed system
      • UPDATE: Turns out that only AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext needs to be disabled; it causes a kernel panic in Big Sur
  • There were 4 reboots along the way, after which the Big Sur welcome screen appeared.
  • At the OpenCore Picker menu, the name of the Big Sur volume is simply "Preboot". This is expected to change sometime before the first official version is released.
    • UPDATE: Once macOS is fully installed, the next reboot should show the correct disk name. If not, try renaming the disk in Finder and/or Reset NVRAM at the OpenCore Picker.
So far most of what was functional in Catalina remains functional in Big Sur -- but not everything has been tested. Big Sur is a nice change, but there are some rough patches that will most likely get ironed out.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 2.40.46 PM.png

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Short note:
The AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext worked when using the prelinkedkernel but causes a kernel panic when using KC. Sadly the prelinkedkernel does not work anymore since DB 4/PB 1.

bdrako

AMD OS X Member
version 0.3.4 ( the one before de split ) works fine with KC

Lisang

AMD OS X Member
The boot volume is displayed as Preboot and can be changed by modifying the name of the Preboot partition

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
The boot volume is displayed as Preboot and can be changed by modifying the name of the Preboot partition
The volume name in OpenCore Picker is correct now. Not sure if I renamed the disk or if it fixed itself after macOS was fully installed and rebooted (and after doing Reset NVRAM).

P.S. Dark Mode looks much nicer in Big Sur than it did in Mojave/Catalina.

Update: Sleep/wake works finally. Seems this is working across a lot more AMD motherboards now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.