Big Sur on X570 Creator (sleep/wake works)

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
I tested the TB2<>ETH adapter on an Intel NUC10 with TB and the latest Catalina, and it works just fine.

I'm still searching in the X570 Creator config, as it seems to find the device at boot and when hotplugging, but it either disconnects (can see in IOReg) at the end of the device tree, or stays connected but either way the adapter doesn't show up in Network, so I assume TB malfunctioning in ACPI, but I can't find out what's going on.

I tried both your V2 EFI @CaseySJ , and a modified version for my hardware setup (internal WiFi/BT), either way it doesn't get far enough.

I'll go test all the same on P2.40 in the hopes a BIOS update will help me along.

EDIT:

P2.40 brings no difference. I'm lost.

This is what it looks like at cold boot:
ColdBoot P2.40.png

So when I replug it would show this:

So the Ethernet adapter "sort of" gets recognized, but then gets booted leaving what is seen in the first picture. So, the node "BCM5701Enet" is removed.Replug P2.40.png

Note the difference at the right top for cold boot "Ethernet Controller" and after a replug it's a double "PCI-to-PCI Bridge".

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I tested the TB2<>ETH adapter on an Intel NUC10 with TB and the latest Catalina, and it works just fine.

I'm still searching in the X570 Creator config, as it seems to find the device at boot and when hotplugging, but it either disconnects (can see in IOReg) at the end of the device tree, or stays connected but either way the adapter doesn't show up in Network, so I assume TB malfunctioning in ACPI, but I can't find out what's going on.

I tried both your V2 EFI @CaseySJ , and a modified version for my hardware setup (internal WiFi/BT), either way it doesn't get far enough.

I'll go test all the same on P2.40 in the hopes a BIOS update will help me along.

EDIT:

P2.40 brings no difference. I'm lost.

This is what it looks like at cold boot:

So when I replug it would show this:

So the Ethernet adapter "sort of" gets recognized, but then gets booted leaving what is seen in the first picture. So, the node "BCM5701Enet" is removed.

Note the difference at the right top for cold boot "Ethernet Controller" and after a replug it's a double "PCI-to-PCI Bridge".
I have the same Apple TB2-to-ETH and Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapters, and I get the same result. Thunderbolt on X570 Creator (with its built-in controller) is not working properly. I wonder if this is due to Catalina 10.15.6 because Thunderbolt did work in the past (without hotplug).

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for getting back to me. I currently have no readily available TB3 parts to test, but you are saying that other TB3 gear you have does work with the onboard TB?

I mean, I did read something about the latest Titan Ridge not fully supporting some older TB2 hardware, so the issue may be there. In that case, I can stop working on this system and test it when I have the needed TB3 gear available.

In other words: Does onboard Thunderbolt3 works for people on Catalina 10.15.6?

If it does, but it's just the TB2 <> ETH adapter, then I can throw all my painstaking research in the bin and just start testing with proper TB3 gear ;o

jaseinny

AMD OS X Member
Hi there,

I was wandering if anybody has been able to get the Fan Controls/Sensors working on Asrock's X570 Creator motherboard? I have installed SMCAMDProcessor along with VirtualSMC and I have even tried the new FakeSMC3_with_plugins but none of the Fan sensors are showing up correctly let alone working. So, the system is not cooling correctly and I fear that I may damage the CPU and GPU.

I also have a Radeon Vega64 and the GPU will get up to 80C (fan speed max's out at 45% using this command in terminal "while sleep 1; do clear;ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done") and I can hear the fans speeding up a little but nothing like the GPU fan speeds when in windows where the fan speeds really rev up and get quite loud.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@jaseinny Are you using an older RadeonBoost or forcing SMU Firmware loading? That will introduce a lot of bugs on Vega 56/64 cards.

jaseinny

AMD OS X Member

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
Yo @CaseySJ your tip on the TB2 <> ETH adapter really helped. I got my hands on some other TB3 equip and it just worked... I wasted so much time! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, really!

1st port works with cold boot, TB3 device enabled beforehand. 2nd port only initializes halway. Hotplug on either port (if I checked correctly) locks up the system with a Kernel Panic. I'm fine with having just one port working with the hardware that's needed on it, though.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ & @Allubz nice work for continuing the path forward on this build. (y):p

Just read through this thread and it's super helpful for some of the stuff I've been working on. Sorry I've been out of the discussion on this MB for so long but was working in actual work the last few months and couldn't drop in. However, I might be able to shed some light on some things and maybe you guys can help me figure out an issue. This might be a long post since there is a lot to cover. Sorry about that. If you'd like me to move this stuff to a new topic that's not about Big Sur since I'm still on Catalina, I can do that as well.

First, I'll say that I am on bios 3.00. Yes, I know if you go to the creator download page it lists 2.70 as the most recent version, but if you go to the official list you'll see that they list v3.00 as the most recent. By going to another MB's downloads page I was able to deduce that the link to bios v3.00 is https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/X570 Creator(3.00)ROM.zip
Guessing it didn't get updated on the creator page.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference on what you guys are working on since I just updated directly from 2.10 _> 3.00. But, 3.00 seems to work fine with everything (obviously haven't tried 2.40 or 2.70). Though it looks like Above 4G Decoding has been completely removed from the Boot page, so including npci=0x2000 or 0x3000 is now required as a boot flag.

For the record, my bios changes are as follows:
CSM : disabled
Above 4G decoding : gone, use npci=0x2000 or 0x3000 instead
Thunderbolt : Enabled with Security set to No Security
Fast boot : disabled

Aside from XMP for my ram and bumping up the clock from 3500 -> 4300 on the processor with increased voltage to 1.300, I haven't changed anything else.
(Also don't recommend overclocking while testing, but I had been running stable for 6 months or so). OH! I also disabled BT and Wifi since I don't need it, and removed the Kexts. Though, if someone thinks these will work I'm happy to try a DSDT.

TB3 DISCUSSION : SKIP FROM HERE IF YOU ARE JUST INTERESTED IN SLEEP

NOTE: I have actual TB3 Devices to test with!
For me Thunderbolt 3 works fine without any of the DSDT's for it. No 5-AmdTable, no 6-AmdTable, no Cr-TB3, and no add in cards. Just cold plug in my devices and boot up and I'm good. I can confirm this on 2 Creators, as I bought a second to do some testing and it worked fine, but then resold it since none of my buddies wanted me to build a RyzenTosh for them. Too bad for them. Nothing beats spending 20+ hours rebooting with small changes only to find you have to pull out the USB again. :rolleyes:

The gear I can test with and use on a daily basis: I have a Sonnet Echo Express 3 with a Highpoint RAID card and a Black Magic Intensity 4K card. Both of which show up and preform perfectly. I also have a Mantiz Venus eGPU with a VII in it that I usually use as extra compute for my MacBook Pro, but I've connected it to the Hack to see if it works (and have 3 VII's doing compute at the same time!) and it also works without a problem.

Since only the one TB3 port works, to get it all to work together, I have to plug in the eGPU and then attach the ePCI Chassis to the second port on the eGPU. Somehow it was all happy, even though when I looked in the System Report under Thunderbolt, it still says "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded". If you are testing for TB3, I would not include whatever that screen says as any evidence that your TB3 is or isn't working. I don't know much about IORegistryExplorer, but if someone wants an output of something, just tell me what you want.

I do have a Thunderbolt monitor. It's generally connected to the MacBook and to test it with the Hack would require finding the displayport cable to run out of the GPU and back into the DP in header. But for me that would eliminate my everyday device tier, so unless someone really wants me to test that part of it, I think we should be good. Also seems like admiralozzel may have already conquered that beast, only maybe not in 5K, which would logically require 2 DP connectors or maybe a card with DP 1.4? Maybe I should test?

BACK IN FOR SLEEP

A lot of this thread has been about sleep. I don't use sleep because of the RAID card in my TB3 ePCI chassis. Even when it was in a legit 2012 MacPro desktop, if the computer went to sleep, when it woke up, the RAID wouldn't mount. Honestly, I haven't tried sleep because I'm doubtful even if I could get sleep to work it wouldn't mount the RAID. Instead, I use Amphetamine to turn off the monitors, but not let the computer sleep. I'd be happy to try sleep though. Even though I most of the time have renders or other work happening in the background so it's probably not going to sleep anyway.

That's all the info I have but feel free to ask questions.

And that leads me to this question. So this RAID card. I'd like to get rid of it and move it to a server. But the only way I can do so is to get that Aquantia 10G port working and moving my RAID to a server. In 0.5.9 it seems to work fine (still waiting on 10G switch and stuff but the regular 1G worked). But on 0.6.1 it is disabled. Attached both

Attachments

• EFI6.1.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 52
  • EFI_0.5.9.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 13

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@winterwolf,

Regarding the Aquantia 10Gb port on the X570 Creator, have you added the patch described in Post 1 and included in the sample EFI files (both of them have the patch in the OpenCore --> Kernel --> Patch section)?

Regarding Thunderbolt, because hot plug does not work on the X570 Creator, there's no point using the Thunderbolt SSDT. So you're right -- just avoid the SSDT and basic Thunderbolt will still work.

I am in the process of setting up a Gigabyte B550 Vision D that has an on-board Titan Ridge controller like the X570 Creator, but no 10Gbps Ethernet port. I've flashed the firmware and the following are working:
  • Thunderbolt Bus is activated
  • Thunderbolt hot plug works well
  • USB-C devices can also hot plug
  • Thunderbolt devices will also work when connected during COLD boot, but not when connected during WARM boot.
  • USB-C devices will work with both cold and warm boot
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.33.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.32.24 PM.png
However, at the moment:
  • System can enter sleep
  • System cannot wake; monitor remains black

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
@winterwolf,
I am in the process of setting up a Gigabyte B550 Vision D
Good work on the Gigabyte. For now I'm stuck with the Creator.

I am still having problems with the Aquantia 10GB port, even when I copied all the patches directly from the one config to the other. Then I tried using the EFI as is with added system info and npci=0x2000 since bios 3.10 doesn't have an Above 4G option and I couldn't even get that machine to boot.

I dropped back down to O.C 0.5.9 and it works again, and, I can confirm that it runs at the full 10GB as I plugged it into the new 10GB Thunderbolt adaptor I bought for my Mac Pro and they were able to talk and transfer files at crazy speeds.

Really not sure what setting I'm missing between 0.5.9 and 0.6.1. It's tough troubleshooting because the actual format of the plist in opencore has changed so much.

Sharky

AMD OS X Member
Gents ,

any idea why my new Creator on every bios (2.40,2.70,3.00), refuses to POST when I disable CSM?
the current Hw:

CPU: R5 2600
Ram: crucial ballistix 2*8gb 3600@2666
nvme: WD sn750 2TB
Vga: nvidia Quadro nvs 510 (Kepler)

before I disassemble my golden build (3700x, as rock x570m pro4, 2*32gb fury x 3200, 5700xt, TB AiC), and try other Hw, do you hint?

Thank you in advance!

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
Vga: nvidia Quadro nvs 510 (Kepler)

Pretty off-topic if you ask me, but that's your answer in short, as far as I know. CSM requires an UEFI VBIOS which an old card often doesn't have, but could get by VBIOS update, like: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/224639/224639 (not saying this one fits your card, that's up to you to find out).

Imo you should've researched what CSM does before asking a hardware-related question in a wholly different topic.

Sharky

AMD OS X Member
@
Pretty off-topic if you ask me, but that's your answer in short, as far as I know. CSM requires an UEFI VBIOS which an old card often doesn't have, but could get by VBIOS update, like: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/224639/224639 (not saying this one fits your card, that's up to you to find out).

Imo you should've researched what CSM does before asking a hardware-related question in a wholly different topic.
thank you!
after having replaced the VGA with a GT710 I had around, I was able to correctly install Catalina.
Using Winterwolf OC 0.61 EFI with some small mods I got TB3 and 10GbE working, which actually was my target to decide to switch from my x570m + Titan Ridge (flashed) AIC to a Creator.

But now the drawback: when I shutdown the system it doesn’t really shutdown.
Catalina does, but all fans keep spinning and the BIOS display shows the status “05”.
I have looked around for some solutions but none of the proposed (disconnect TB devices, deactivate XMP) didn’t help...

Many thanks in advance

teseraph

AMD OS X Member
Good work on the Gigabyte. For now I'm stuck with the Creator.

I am still having problems with the Aquantia 10GB port, even when I copied all the patches directly from the one config to the other. Then I tried using the EFI as is with added system info and npci=0x2000 since bios 3.10 doesn't have an Above 4G option and I couldn't even get that machine to boot.

I dropped back down to O.C 0.5.9 and it works again, and, I can confirm that it runs at the full 10GB as I plugged it into the new 10GB Thunderbolt adaptor I bought for my Mac Pro and they were able to talk and transfer files at crazy speeds.

Really not sure what setting I'm missing between 0.5.9 and 0.6.1. It's tough troubleshooting because the actual format of the plist in opencore has changed so much.
Hi there,
I haven't been very active on the Creator build recently, but it's good to see that CaseySJ is still on it :) I'm currently still on Catalina 10.15.7 and BIOS v2.7 but wanted to prepare for a Big Sur update when my used software finally supports it. Therefore, I recently upgraded to OC 0.6.3, which also includes Apple Secure Boot, which came with 0.6.1 IIRC. As this brings new requirements for kernel extensions, some will obviously break (as MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext, I'm using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS). Anyways, my point is: I had to disable SecureBoot to get 10G working again, but now found the fix also mentioned by CaseySJ to patch 10G support.

TL;DR - for native 10G support working, disable Apple Secure Boot (but may be required for Big Sur!) in OC plist under Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel or use kernel find/replace patch as follows:

Code:
Kext to patch = com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

Find: D4TAAgAAa
Replace: Zg8fRAAA

For Opencore config using PListEdit Pro for example, open config.plist and under Kernel-Patch. Create a new entry

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>AQC 107 10 GbE v2</string>

<key>Count</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Enabled</key>

<true/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

D4TAAgAA

</data>

<key>Identifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>

<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>

<false/>

<key>Name</key>

<string>AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

Zg8fRAAA

</data>

<key>Skip</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

Last edited:

teseraph

AMD OS X Member
@winterwolf

I looked at your 0.6.1 plist - you have Secureboot enabled (set to Default) but not injected the kernel patch, that's why you're missing 10G support.

tung_opeth

AMD OS X Member
hi, i am mapping my usb for my motherboard to fix sleep, how can i know what cause my system still running while the screen already goes sleep?

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
for native 10G support working, disable Apple Secure Boot (but may be required for Big Sur!)
Curious what your status is with this.

Been thinking about installing Big Sur, but I need both 10G and Thunderbolt and haven't seen anyone anywhere confirm that they can get both working on Big Sur.

Anyone out there have experience/actually been able to get both these working on BS?

teseraph

AMD OS X Member
Curious what your status is with this.

Been thinking about installing Big Sur, but I need both 10G and Thunderbolt and haven't seen anyone anywhere confirm that they can get both working on Big Sur.

Anyone out there have experience/actually been able to get both these working on BS?
I was waiting for 11.1 to try it out - I have to wrap up some projects by the end of this week and after that I will try BS :p 11.1 and get you an answer.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
I was waiting for 11.1 to try it out - I have to wrap up some projects by the end of this week and after that I will try BS :p 11.1 and get you an answer.
Excellent. Have you updated to 11? If so, does the thunderbolt work?

Ufoall

AMD OS X Member
Hi

I got rx570 never got working it shows like this

Tried on Mojave , Catalina and big Sur same problem .. how did you manage to install

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.