Big Sur on X570 Creator (sleep/wake works)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@Allubz / all,

The attached EFI (based on OpenCore 0.6.0) can be used to boot and install Catalina and Big Sur. Serial numbers have been removed from PlatformInfo, but you can either:
  • Generate new numbers by going to OpenCore Configurator --> PlatformInfo and clicking the pop-up menu at the bottom. Then choose iMacPro1,1 or other suitable system definition from the long list.
  • Or copy-and-paste your PlatformInfo section into the config.plist contained in the ZIP.
My system includes:
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT card
  • AMD RX 580 in slot 1
  • Silicon Power 256GB NVMe SSD in M.2 slot closest to CPU
Therefore, the config.plist is tailored for this configuration. If you have different components, simply check/uncheck the appropriate rows in the ACPI and Kexts sections.

This is being posted from the X570 Creator running Big Sur public beta #2 after two back-to-back sleep/wake cycles. I never thought sleep/wake would work on this system! Just need to press a key twice on the keyboard with a few seconds gap between keypresses. I'm using these components:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core / 16 thread CPU
  • Stock AMD air cooler
  • 32 GB OLOy memory (2 x 16 GB) with X.M.P. Profile disabled, but memory speed set to 2933 MHz
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT card
  • MSI RX 580 Armour 8GB GPU in Slot 1
  • Silicon Power NVMe in M.2 slot closest to CPU
  • Matias wired Mac keyboard and wired mouse
  • Monitor is a 24" LG 1080p connected via HDMI
In the EFI, the USB controllers are named XHC1, XHCI, and XHC3. There is no XHC0, so maybe that's why sleep is working...

On-board Thunderbolt also works with this configuration, but without hot-plug. Thunderbolt devices must be connected prior to boot. Update: Seems Thunderbolt devices do not work in Big Sur. The Thunderbolt device tree appears in IOReg, but attached peripherals do not activate.

Finally, the 10 Gbps Aquantia Ethernet patch for Big Sur is included, hence:
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 3.34.52 PM.png
UPDATE 1-Sep-2020:
I've added a new EFI-OC-060-NO-SERIALS-V2.zip
. Only the ACPI folder has changed. If you're already using the first EFI ZIP, simply replace the files in ACPI folder with those from the new V2 EFI ZIP.

All SSDTs in the ACPI folder are now wrapped inside of the following statements so that OpenCore can boot Windows directly without crashing:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
   // do Mac stuff
}

Attachments

• EFI-OC-060-NO-SERIALS.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 117
  • EFI-OC-060-NO-SERIALS-V2.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:

ScopeAesthetic

AMD OS X Member
What motherboard are you using?

SSIA.
ASRock x570 Creator AMD Ryzen 3000 Series CPU (Soket AM4) with X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Which BIOS version are you using?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Which BIOS version are you using?
BIOS 2.10, but going to update to 2.70 shortly.

Update: BIOS 2.70 fails to boot both macOS and Windows, but BIOS 2.40 works fine. Now running 2.40.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For my board, BIOS 2.30 has the new AGESA. I needed to update some configs to get MacOS to boot (see here).
But that version broke sleep (display goes off but system keeps running), so I'm back on 2.00 for the time being.

Was wondering if the latest BIOS of your board would also stop sleep from working.

Update noticed ASRock just release BIOS update this morning with the AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0 but sleep is still not working on that.

Update 2 I did a full retest and found that actually the SMBUS is blocking sleep. The ACPI path changed between BIOS versions and it didn't work on 2.00 which is what sleep worked with that version...

Last edited:

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ Thanks a lot for this new thread! Appreciate it.

With your EFI I am (edit: was) able to boot no problemo, but I still didn't get TB activated on Port1 (which I assume is the one closest to the edge of the motherboard). I've been running BIOS 2.10, so I'm testing variants now to see what I end up with.

BIOS settings I changed:
  • Thunderbolt - Enabled / No Security
  • AMD SVM (Virtualization) - Disabled
  • XMP - Enabled
  • CSM - Disabled

Am I missing something important? I haven't tried all BIOSes with 4G Decoding en/disabled, does it matter?

I'm testing my TB with a TB3 <> TB2 adapter, to a TB2 <> Eth adapter. It works fine on other Hacks, and also in Windows (both ports).

2.10 - Boots (my / your EFI), I can't seem to get TB to activate at all;
2.70 - Doesn't boot past what seems memory allocation (at least no verbose loading output). I tried adding SSDT-CPUR for B550 (thought it may have to do with the newer AGESA), but that didn't help (so I removed it);
2.40 (after 2.70) - Tested only your EFI, but gave immediate panic after initialising CPU ACPI in verbose mode (have pic if handy). Reverted back to 2.10 and bigwhoop, it also gives this KP with both EFI's (tested /w and w/o 4G Decoding on/off)

Since everything seems broken now, I am testing 2.40 (confirmed by all to be working, which experience I previously shared). Adding the patches @Aluveitie above me noted, I get the same result in 2.40 (KP) and 2.70 (doesn't boot past memalloc).

I'm now on 2.10 with my EFI that used to work without TB before all this, with a kernel panic as such:
1598624215742.jpeg

So after this ordeal I am further set back than I was, oddly. I'm not sure if I'm structurally missing an important BIOS setting after the first reset, or something got borked. I'll try to report back when I know more, or when someone illuminates me on what's happening ofcourse :)

Last edited:

lukakeiton

AMD OS X Member
Really nice work! Your files helped me a lot! Still no have sleep/wake working but I am working on it! Again, thanks!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ Thanks a lot for this new thread! Appreciate it.

With your EFI I am (edit: was) able to boot no problemo, but I still didn't get TB activated on Port1 (which I assume is the one closest to the edge of the motherboard). I've been running BIOS 2.10, so I'm testing variants now to see what I end up with.

BIOS settings I changed:
  • Thunderbolt - Enabled / No Security
  • AMD SVM (Virtualization) - Disabled
  • XMP - Enabled
  • CSM - Disabled

Am I missing something important? I haven't tried all BIOSes with 4G Decoding en/disabled, does it matter?

I'm testing my TB with a TB3 <> TB2 adapter, to a TB2 <> Eth adapter. It works fine on other Hacks, and also in Windows (both ports).

2.10 - Boots (my / your EFI), I can't seem to get TB to activate at all;
2.70 - Doesn't boot past what seems memory allocation (at least no verbose loading output). I tried adding SSDT-CPUR for B550 (thought it may have to do with the newer AGESA), but that didn't help (so I removed it);
2.40 (after 2.70) - Tested only your EFI, but gave immediate panic after initialising CPU ACPI in verbose mode (have pic if handy). Reverted back to 2.10 and bigwhoop, it also gives this KP with both EFI's (tested /w and w/o 4G Decoding on/off)

Since everything seems broken now, I am testing 2.40 (confirmed by all to be working, which experience I previously shared). Adding the patches @Aluveitie above me noted, I get the same result in 2.40 (KP) and 2.70 (doesn't boot past memalloc).

I'm now on 2.10 with my EFI that used to work without TB before all this, with a kernel panic as such:
View attachment 1187

So after this ordeal I am further set back than I was, oddly. I'm not sure if I'm structurally missing an important BIOS setting after the first reset, or something got borked. I'll try to report back when I know more, or when someone illuminates me on what's happening ofcourse :)
Can you please list all of the components in your system?
  • X570 Creator
  • Which CPU
  • Which memory
  • Which WiFi/BT card
  • Which Power supply
  • Which GPU
  • Which CPU cooler
  • Which NVMe SSD(s) and which slots are they in?
    • I have only one M.2 SSD and it's in the top slot closet to CPU
    • My EFI folder is based on this particular NVMe setup
    • If you have NVMe in other slots, different SSDTs may need to be chosen

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Really nice work! Your files helped me a lot! Still no have sleep/wake working but I am working on it! Again, thanks!
I am pleasantly surprised to see that sleep/wake works on both my (a) X570 Creator and (b) X570 Taichi.

On-board Thunderbolt does not work on the X570 at the moment -- don't know why. But USB-C devices operate normally on the two Thunderbolt ports (including hot plug).

ASRock Thunderbolt add-in-card, however, works just fine on the X570 Taichi when connected to Thunderbolt header on motherboard. So at the moment, my X570 Taichi is a "near golden build", namely:
  • Sleep and wake are working
  • Thunderbolt is working
  • FaceTime and Messages are working
  • Shutdown / Restart have always worked
  • Handoff, Continuity, Unlock with Apple Watch, Authenticate with Apple Watch, etc. are all working
Not working:
  • Sidecar
  • Thunderbolt hot plug
Because sleep/wake works, it means I can finally use this machine all day long. It's finally a viable system.

Last edited:

barrrrt

AMD OS X Member
Hi.

Did sleep work on Catalina too? Or is Big Sur the solution for getting sleep working?
Im still searching for a solution to get my x570 board to sleep... but still no success.... or is a special .aml file or something else important?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hi.

Did sleep work on Catalina too? Or is Big Sur the solution for getting sleep working?
Im still searching for a solution to get my x570 board to sleep... but still no success.... or is a special .aml file or something else important?
With the same EFI on the same hardware, sleep still fails on Catalina (10.15.6 with Supplemental Update). So it seems sleep is working only on Big Sur.

By the way, sleep works like this:
  • Takes about 20 seconds to enter sleep.
  • System wakes up about 1 second later.
  • Stays awake for about 40-50 seconds.
  • Then enters sleep and stays asleep.
So it's a "sleep --> quick wake --> back to sleep" process.

Last edited:

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
What setting did you use in bios for sleep? Bios controlled or OS

I have OS controlled and sleep works perfectly for me, I haven't used your EFI though, I'm using my own (found in success stories section of this forum).

I however have to push the power button on the case to wake the computer - not a big issue, as I have the case sitting on the desk, and its easy enough to reach. Apple Magic Keyboard with Number pad and Apple Trackpad 2. I think its because Bluetooth goes to sleep (and thus the apple watch won't unlock the computer either)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
What setting did you use in bios for sleep? Bios controlled or OS

I have OS controlled and sleep works perfectly for me, I haven't used your EFI though, I'm using my own (found in success stories section of this forum).

I however have to push the power button on the case to wake the computer - not a big issue, as I have the case sitting on the desk, and its easy enough to reach. Apple Magic Keyboard with Number pad and Apple Trackpad 2. I think its because Bluetooth goes to sleep (and thus the apple watch won't unlock the computer either)
My BIOS settings are fairly minimal:
  • X.M.P. Profile disabled, but memory speed set manually to 2933 MHz
  • Above 4G decoding enabled (and npci=0x2000 removed from Boot Args)
  • Thunderbolt enabled and Security set to No Security
Sleep is controlled by macOS. Because I'm not using SSDT-GPRW (which disables wake from USB/Bluetooth), I can wake from either keyboard or mouse.

If you're using Apple Magic Trackpad/Mouse, it may obstruct sleep unless we change the following to about 30 minutes:
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 6.10.26 AM.png

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Big Sur fixed sleep for me also. Hasn't worked since High Sierra.

So it's a "sleep --> quick wake --> back to sleep" process.

Strange. Mine takes a few secs and sleeps. No random wake before sleep.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Big Sur fixed sleep for me also. Hasn't worked since High Sierra.

Strange. Mine takes a few secs and sleeps. No random wake before sleep.
I do recall my system sleeping on the first attempt, but after enabling iCloud the behavior switched to "sleep --> quick wake --> back to sleep".

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Big Sur definitively improved things, Catalina would just reboot on wakeup when the onboard thunderbolt controller was enabled - that issue is gone now.

Allubz

AMD OS X Member
Can you please list all of the components in your system?
  • X570 Creator
  • Which CPU
  • Which memory
  • Which WiFi/BT card
  • Which Power supply
  • Which GPU
  • Which CPU cooler
  • Which NVMe SSD(s) and which slots are they in?
    • I have only one M.2 SSD and it's in the top slot closet to CPU
    • My EFI folder is based on this particular NVMe setup
    • If you have NVMe in other slots, different SSDTs may need to be chosen

Aye, I should've added this earlier when asking for troubleshooting help.

I figured out the boot problem, though. I was apparently messing around with npci=0x2/3000 and 4G Decoding enabled/disabled. I mistook the setting in "AMD PBS " (where you change Thunderbolt to "No Security") called "Above 4GB MMIO Enabled" for the actual 4G Decoding setting to be found in the "Boot" menu under "CSM" :whistle:, hence I got stuck around "PCI Configuration begin/end", it seems.

My setup:
Motherboard: X570 Creator (currently P2.10)
CPU: 3950X
Memory: 2x32GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C18D-32GVK
WiFi/BT: DW1820A (Interal / M.2)
GPU: R7
NVME: 970 in Slot 1 (above GPU)

BIOS:
XMP Profile 1
Thunderbolt / No Security
CSM / Disabled
Above 4G Decoding / Enabled

My config.plist: https://opencore.slowgeek.com/?file=amd060H4ziCF&rs=amd060

IOReg information:

After cold boot:
IOReg cold boot.png

After hotplugging some:
IOReg.png

Port 1 hotplug:
IOReg P1 HP.png

Port 2 hotplug:
IOReg P2 HP.png

Compared to CR-TB3-Builtin.aml I am lacking BYS2 in IOReg when I search for it.
Compared to Amdtable5.aml, GPP2 holds my 970 NVME drive;
Compared to Amdtable6.aml I can't find any of the declarations in IOREG.

So, interestingly enough, when I hotplug the TB3 <> TB2 adapter with TB2 <> Eth adapter, it gets recognized as a PCI-PCI bridge device in the topright corner, which helps little, but got me to look into IOReg interactions. Hopefully this sheds some light on what I'm doing and whether it makes sense or should be fixed :)

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Just added OC-060-NO-SERIALS-V2.ZIP to Post #1. This is the same as the first EFI zip, except for the SSDTs in ACPI folder. All SSDTs have been modified to work only under macOS. This allows OpenCore to boot Windows and Linux without crashing.

lukakeiton

AMD OS X Member
Still no luck with sleep/wake... however in my case there are some paths changed, for example, instead D004 for nvme on slot 1, it is D005. Carefully, doing my own SSDTs.

UPDATE: Remove bluetooth from Broadcom (v4.0) and added intel one (v5.0). Now, it goes to sleep and wake up with no problems! Again, thank you!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.