Staff member
Mar 13, 2020
Scotland
amd-osx.com
Thanks to @XLNC B550 boards now work on macOS. This is his message,

XLNC said:
Hi guys !
ok so long story short.
Upon comparing verbose messages i observed that after ACPI tables are acquired and loaded by AppleACPIPlatform, the AppleACPICPU doesnt showup for some reason . So after looking into couple of functions in the AppleACPIPlatform.kext binary, i see that AppleACPICPU looks for ACPI processor objects each with a processor id.

In our ACPI tables usually the processor is declared as ProcessorObj which consists of a ProcessorName and a ProcessorID which then macos uses it to find declared processors in ACPI tables.
According to ACPI 5.0 spec , they have now provided a newer way of defining processor in ACPI as DeviceObj which contains a HID ACPI0007 to let OS know that its a processor object and a UID which acts as a processorID or index in simple words. so now processors can be declared either as ProcessorObj or DeviceObj. AND since ACPI 6.0 spec the processorObj is deprecated leaving with only DeviceObj as the option.

The problem here is that all B550 boards follow newer ACPI specs where they have their processor declared in ACPI as DeviceObj rather than ProcessorObj so macOS (AppleACPICPU specifically) looks for ProcessorObj with ProcessorID which isn't used anymore in B550 boards. so when it couldn't find that, it goes around the corner sits there and cry.

Solution: Re-declare processor in DSDT as ProcessorObj and make macos happy. it can be done in few ways through hotpatch. so i have created this SSDT based of the ACPI dumps people posted here so might update it in future if needed. Add this SSDT to your OC and boot.

I am gonna leave this here if incase anyone wanna buy me an ice-cream or beer or a ryzen system :D https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/naveenkrdy
Add the SSDT-CPUR.aml file to your OC/ACPI folder and include it in your config. To join the discussion on B550 in Discord follow this link, https://discord.gg/PHsT2vA

Attachments

leesurone

May 6, 2020
Thanks to @XLNC B550 boards now work on macOS. This is his message,

Add the SSDT-CPUR.aml file to your OC/ACPI folder and include it in your config. To join the discussion on B550 in Discord follow this link, https://discord.gg/PHsT2vA
Nice work and well done as usual. Question sir, is USB configuration an issue like the X570 boards? Meaning is port mapping an issue to where a 550 board will not sleep? Can't gt my Asus X570 board mapped out and it makes me nuts (I've got your SSDT in ACPI so USB works, it just won't sleep and wake).

happycamper1

Aug 12, 2020
Got my Asrock B550M Pro 4 working, Thanks! I have a weird issue, when i restart and shutdown the os closes out but then it just hangs. I have to turn off power at the power supply to get it to turn back on and boot. Even if i hard shutdown and turn it on again it will not boot. Only after cutting power completely. I havent found any info yet :/

Last edited:

alexzhu

Aug 20, 2020
I tried on my MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi, it can be startup. But after install, it was got install failed message after first time reboot. All the code finished, apple logo showed up then get a white screen showed error.

loopinys

Aug 24, 2020
Nice work and well done as usual. Question sir, is USB configuration an issue like the X570 boards? Meaning is port mapping an issue to where a 550 board will not sleep? Can't gt my Asus X570 board mapped out and it makes me nuts (I've got your SSDT in ACPI so USB works, it just won't sleep and wake).
hi i woud like to ask u something. when i try to install mac os in the verbose text comes to freeze ...now with this ssd is good no more errors in the text but after full loadet is freezing at the text and nothing shows up? why? do u have any idea?

keef247

Sep 10, 2020
Got my Asrock B550M Pro 4 working, Thanks! I have a weird issue, when i restart and shutdown the os closes out but then it just hangs. I have to turn off power at the power supply to get it to turn back on and boot. Even if i hard shutdown and turn it on again it will not boot. Only after cutting power completely. I havent found any info yet :/
Hi mate, any luck with this? I'm hoping to get this board for my new build!

keyduc

Sep 6, 2020
Same issues :( any help ?

BigBaileys

Sep 13, 2020
Having exactly the same issue on the same board:( already tried to change some usb/xhci settings on the BIOS but still no bueno. Weirdly, at first it only happens intermittently (still can restart/reboot sometimes) but now the same with all of you guys, have to cut the power completely first before able to boot:( is this board specific or other boards withh B550 chipsets also having the same issue?

Reactions: PLOPZA

Potato007

Aug 16, 2020
Having exactly the same issue on the same board:( already tried to change some usb/xhci settings on the BIOS but still no bueno. Weirdly, at first it only happens intermittently (still can restart/reboot sometimes) but now the same with all of you guys, have to cut the power completely first before able to boot:( is this board specific or other boards withh B550 chipsets also having the same issue?
yes, it seams like a general issue with each B550 board - I have an ASRock B550M iTX/AC board with proper USB mapping and it has no effect on restart / shutdown. Seams like the reason behind inability to properly restart is still undiscovered on Catalina