AudioGod's Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, Pro Wifi, Ultra & Master - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

Would you like me to change the EFI SMBios over to MacPro7,1 from OpenCore V0.7.0 onwards?

• Yes change it to SMBios MacPro7,1

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No keep it at SMBios iMacPro1,1

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Have Both 7,1 and 1,1 available to download

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
@z-plane Nice one buddy, thanks for the kind words and don’t worry I go on like I wear a bullet proof vest... :ROFLMAO:

To Answer your two questions quickly as I’m at work now.
  1. The intel WiFi works but it is a work in progress and has problems, it’s slow, Apple Watch unlock doesn’t work and nor does airdrop, big no on that front but in time the Devs of the kext will nail it. (They have come along way in the last few months) I prefer using a pcie WiFi card myself plus its native. You can remove the Intel card and replace it with a Broadcom one instead. This is the best option if you want a fully working native Bluetooth and wifi card.
Thanks mate, couple of others probably after you finished work, no urgency.

"remove the Intel card and replace it with a Broadcom one instead"
Ah so this Intel card is a mini PCIe? If so then that's probably the way to go a Broadcom Mini PCIe WIFI/BT card should be available.

1. Sleep is a non issue on my build using High Sierra or higher. The only thing that doesn’t work is SideCar, Everything else is working 100% like it should do.
Okay, that's cool to know, must have misread something form someone else.

Your board revision, what is that, because here in Australia Gigabyte show Rev 1.0 and Rev 1.1/1.2 boards for most models.

Lastly, the Radeon 6800/6900 XT if a driver does not eventuate, what's the next down closest in performance to these two? I looked into the Radeon IV or VI (whatever it is) but they are not available in Australia from what I see. I have a RX 580 but performance is atrocious compared to a Geforce 780 Ti (AutoCAD).

Thanks again and anyone else who dials in.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@z-plane Highest performance cards for MacOS are currently the Radeon VII (which was only in production for a couple of months in 2019) and the Radeon 5700 XT. Both have similar gaming performance, though the VII shines in compute task with higher FP64 performance and 1 TB/s 16GB HBM memory.

Since for about a year now there were no more new VII's in shops available. Last year the still went for 600$ used, currently you'll pay up to 1200-1500$ for one.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@Aluveitie @chiefsucker I stand corrected...lol...Somebody i work with has said he has got a 5700xt working on a arm system via Linux but he would hardly call it working properly. Still though it shows it can be done and I’m totally wrong on that front in that case. (This has started a mass debate where I work..lol)
I still stand by what I think though because of the way Apple are.

@z-plane It couldn’t be a worst time to buy a GPU then it is now.
I sold a Radeon VII on eBay for £1200 English around 6 weeks ago. That’s insane...lol...my 5700XT cost me £300 for a reference one and I can sell it now for about £850. The GPU market is Screwed, Its scary out there.

Last edited:

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
Interesting, why would you have to redesign the GPU or AS? Adapt iBoot to handle UEFI GPUs probably, but other than that the GPU is just another PCIe device.
From what i've seen the M1 isn't using PCIe bus for interconnect the GPU. The architecture is similar to SGI's O2, which they detailed back in 1996, it didn't use a PCI bus for the GPU either, that allowed the systems to move memory between CPU and GPU at maximum bandwidth. The M1 is a toy for now, but it's also proof of concept. We'll see in the future when/if Apple pile on the CPU and GPU cores and wind up the frequency, there will be application cases where they will show significant limitations in the constrained 40 year old PC buss/bridge architecture. Stuff like video, photo, things apps moving loads of data around should show to be way faster and more efficient than handing stuff off the to the GPU on a PCIe buss, that's where the bottlenecks are. Although other ARM's may have a PCIe bus, Apple's M1 is a SoC unlike most ARM CPU's. The M1 is what Processors should have been years ago, a chiplet with DSP cores for audio and video processing, CPU for general calcs and GPU pushing pixels around.

Last edited:

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
Oh, the hostile take over the supply for crypto mining, yeah...will have to wait until that calms down for sure.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@z-plane you hit the nail on the head then, Spot on With both comments. (y)

chiefsucker

AMD OS X Member
Now you see buddy this is where our views differ as I think Apple absolutely want to have everything including the GPU in-house now.
And I think we agree ;) Of course Apple wants to have everything under their control, but Apple is years away from their own high-end dGPU.
Also about your GPU driver theory. Find me one example of it being done be it via a arm PC, Phone or anything else. (Apart from the NVidia gpu that’s made for ARM specifically, that doesn’t count) it’s got to be a normal gpu that’s been pulled across and made to work on ARM. It’s been long enough now for it to have been done as ARM is hardly a new tech if you get what I mean.
That’s a valid point. But ARM was always about low-power, mobile, SoC use-cases. Now it’s entering the desktop & server market in a more serious way (because ARM servers and low-end ARM devices exist for a very long time, nothing new here). There was never really the necessity to put a high-end PCIe dGPU into an otherwise low-end system. If Apple plans to use ARM for their high-end devices, and server farms will switch for specific use-cases to ARM server farms, then there’s eventually enough momentum to release ported drivers.

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
There was never really the necessity to put a high-end PCIe dGPU into an otherwise low-end system.
That is very true, but on the other hand, for 25 odd years or so, there also hasn’t been the necessity to put a high end GPU on a PCI, AGP, PCIe card/buss on the desktop or in workstations. It was done because Intel/M$ were either both lethargic and lazy, or didn’t like change. It perplexes me why we are even in this situation in this day and age, moving to Apple Silicon.

You‘d have to be familiar computing events in the 90s, because as mentioned in a previous post Silicon Graphics had the 02 workstation using a UMA architecture. Back then there were many dedicated hardware boards populated with DSP for processing audio and video in real-time, (no latency), decoding encryption and many other processing types. Apple had a software guy a French guy who wrote/designed a Unix type OS called BeOS. At that time there were discussions to build a motherboard with dedicated DSPs for audio and video a RISC processor for general compute, with a main central memory pool, main memory controller etc just like SGIs 02, the BeOS would have been able to give near real-time A/V on systems way back then.

Motorola were supplying Apple PPC but many of the DSPs were also Motorola. Apple had the chance to go down this path which would’ve ultimately developed into a SoC type of architecture that we see with Apple Silicon today, but this would have happened and evolved 20 years ago. Instead they bought Steve Jobs back and his ego got in the way and Apple stuck with the traditional PC architecture. Mind you he bought NextStep to Apple which was a good thing but BeOS would have been a better choice IMO. IDK, it seems we’ve come full circle and wasted way too many years on Intel. DSPs were quite low powered anyway and CPUs wouldn’t have needed to be the epicentre of processing and power consumption like they are in computers.

Sorry AudioGod, this Apple Silicon topic really should be discussed in another thread.

The AMD Ryzen on Aorus should be our focus...sorry..maybe I’ll delete.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
No don’t worry I like this convo, it’s off topic but I don’t mind...lol
dont delete it it’s all good. :)
It set my whole office off talking about it too...lol

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don't think it was Steve Jobs ego. Motorola and IBM weren't putting much effort into Desktop PPC chips since it wasn't very profitable as Apple was their only customer, and a small one at that.
Apple was still very low on cash at that time and could never have funded the necessary development itself. They had to get good enough products out the door as fast as possible to stay alive.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
No don’t worry I like this convo, it’s off topic but I don’t mind...lol
dont delete it it’s all good. :)
It set my whole office off talking about it too...lol

Delete it all 😂 I'm kidding. Nice to see the community getting along with a great discussion.

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
I don't think it was Steve Jobs ego. Motorola and IBM weren't putting much effort into Desktop PPC chips since it wasn't very profitable as Apple was their only customer, and a small one at that.
Apple was still very low on cash at that time and could never have funded the necessary development itself. They had to get good enough products out the door as fast as possible to stay alive.
Yeah, all those elements are true as well. I was just thinking of the tactics Jobs was using at the time when he was trying to convince Gil to take him back on board. Jobs hated the French dude that made BeOS because I think from memory he had a part in Jobs resigning from Apple in the first place. That’s why I mentioned the ego thing, sure it wasn’t purely about that but that did have some small part in it all.

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
IBM weren't putting much effort into Desktop PPC
That’s true. I remember IBM released a white paper in about 97/98 about multicore CPU and they used that to keep Apple on board, but for whatever reason they didn’t put all hands on deck to make that happen...then of course Intel comes along 10 years later and brings out a Core Duo, which ironically was when Apple switched to Intel. I think the main issue was the power and heat the mobile PPC was using, they couldn’t build a fast PowerBook to compete with WinTel lappies. The desktop G3, G4, G5 on the desktop we’re doing well, but still they could have gone for a CPU/DSP UMA architecture on Unix much lower power and way better performance than Intel...wasted opportunities, IMO. Anyway those days were long ago, let’s see where the Apple Silicon takes us...just seems like years and years have gone by waiting and waiting for something significant to happen, but the same old 100mhz increase a year to milk cows is all we’ve done.

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The horrible obvious ones like Kernel panics, failed boots or anything else really. :)
hey buddy, 3 days and about 15 - 20 cold boots and about the same with reboots and I'm happy to report ZERO issues.

centraljava

AMD OS X Member
Creating a installer via windows goes wrong quiet a lot. (ive seen it time and time again with other users over at insanelyMac) It’s why it was one of the first questions I asked you.
Again looking at your screenshot, the errors being thrown up are not related to OpenCore. I don’t know what else to suggest but if I was you I would recreate the installer and try again And write that off as the problem at least. Don’t use an image, use gibMacOs to retrieve Big Sur and follow the guide.
Since i have started this thread you are the very first person who can’t get it working and that’s including people not using the Aorus Pro. With all that in mind you tell me what you think the problem is if you disagree with me bro?
hmm, not surprised abt installer creation troubles in Win10
so far i've mostly done it on another macOS build
I think if am in that situation, with only 1 system running windows, i'd rather boot-up Linux on it and create the installer there

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
OpenCore EFI Update V0.6.7, 1st March 2021

The EFI has been expanded and usb has been fully mapped to included the X570 Pro, Pro Wifi and Ultra. No changes to the EFI are needed for any of the above boards, Just add your info and away you go. If you want to use the internal intel wifi and bluetooth combo card then make sure you download and instal the correct kexts from here.
https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless

The EFI has now been updated to the my latest version.
Changes made include,
  • AMD Patches Updated for Big Sur 11.3 Compatibility
  • Lilu 1.5.1
  • AppleALC 1.5.8,
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.8,
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.1
  • OpenCore Updated to Revision 0.6.7 (Big Sur 11.3 Ready),
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext Dropped (No Longer Needed With Big Sur)
  • USBMap is universally correct for the X570 Pro, Pro Wifi and Ultra
  • DRM For AppleTV is now fully working,
  • OC 0.6.7 has corrected the SetupVirtualMap Quirk to work with X570 boards again allowing me to Enable it
  • Plus other minor tweaks and changes to the config.
IMPORTANT BIOS CHANGE
  • Settings -> IO Ports -> Above 4G Decoding -> Disabled

Note 2 - I have decided to fully bypass OpenCore when booting into any other OS other then MacOS so now Windows and Linux no longer see your PC as a MAC and no parts of the ACPI, Patches, MacOS Details or anything else is loaded into any other OS.

Note 3 - If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

Note 4 - Do not try to carry across your old OpenCore Config.plist to the new EFI as to many changes occur from version to version so use the new Config.plist instead.

For OpenCore Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following
453128831_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_25_01.thumb.png.7a9beac3ccc0096941fc4a0ec07b8248.png

Finally and as always, MAKE SURE YOU RESET YOUR NVRAM BEFORE BOOTING INTO MacOS USING THE NEW EFI.

OpenCore EFI Update V0.6.7 - 01/03/2021

Attachments

• Gigabyte X570 Pro 067 EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
You're a legend, nice work.
Ryzen 9 5950x is unavailable in Australia, same with GPU's out of stock everywhere and no indication when stock will arrive. Taiwan has a drought TSMC needs tonnes of water. Auto makers are crying for chips, world wide supply issues. JP Morgan analysts just yesterday speculating this shortage may last another 12 months, hrm. I suppose Apple Silicon MBP, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro (mini) maybe shipping by end of 2021, 12 core (8+4), 20 core (16+4), 32 core (28+4/32-128GPU cores) surely Apple has the most market power so as to guarantee supply.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Note 2 - I have decided to fully bypass OpenCore when booting into any other OS other then MacOS
could you explain how did you do?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@baronerosso You can select the boot drive after post with F8 on Asus boards for example.
Another alternative would be using rEFInd.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@baronerosso You can select the boot drive after post with F8 on Asus boards for example.
Another alternative would be using rEFInd.
ahh, ok. I thought it could be done from OpenCore config.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.