AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AudioGod I'm using your EFI, with the addition of bluetooth and wifi kexts to use the onboard ones, and I've followed the steps you described regarding BIOS setup. The system feels faster and more fluid (Big Sur), but sleep isn't working. As soon as it sleeps, it wakes up instantly. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks!

P.S.: The issue with Hyperx Quadcast S, which I mentioned yesterday in private message, seems to be partially fixed by using your full EFI instead of just the map. I say partially because sometimes it works well, sometimes it's the same problem.
For the sleep problem try unselecting wake for network in System Preferences -> Power Saver

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Run this command to see what’s causing it to wake After you try putting it to sleep.
log show --style syslog --start "2021-10-26" | fgrep "Wake reason"

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Run this command to see what’s causing it to wake After you try putting it to sleep.
log show --style syslog --start "2021-10-26" | fgrep "Wake reason"
2021-10-26 09:45:03.584575-0300 localhost powerd[87]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>" 2021-10-26 09:45:24.288394-0300 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ? 2021-10-26 09:45:24.288396-0300 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
@AudioGod I found that if I disconnect HyperX Quadcast S from USB it sleeps normally. If I plug it into any port, sleep doesn't work. Any suggestions so that I don't need to take the microphone off the usb every time I put the computer to sleep? 😅

Pabo

Donator
Donator
Sleep for me Solved clean installation Monterey 12.0.1 /Open core 0.7.4

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Sleep for me Solved clean installation Monterey 12.0.1 /Open core 0.7.4
I was even thinking about upgrading, but I have two issues: i) I use this hackintosh to work (I'm a Data Scientist), so I can't take too many risks; ii) from what i read in discord, some things are not working in Monterey yet (I think Ethernet... Intel NICS).

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@AudioGod I found that if I disconnect HyperX Quadcast S from USB it sleeps normally. If I plug it into any port, sleep doesn't work. Any suggestions so that I don't need to take the microphone off the usb every time I put the computer to sleep? 😅
i have no Experience using a HyperX Quadcast I’m afraid so I don’t know how to cure it. Good to know it’s that causing the problem though and not something else. I wonder why that is playing up for you like it is?
maybe do a google search and see if you can find any other use cases with the Quadcast on a hack.

Cut The Grass

AMD OS X Member
i have no Experience using a HyperX Quadcast I’m afraid so I don’t know how to cure it. Good to know it’s that causing the problem though and not something else. I wonder why that is playing up for you like it is?
maybe do a google search and see if you can find any other use cases with the Quadcast on a hack.

I'm using Hyper X Quadcast and my machine sleeps just fine. So, the problem must be something else. It's just a normal USB mic and should not interfere with anything else on the system. I'm using external DAC and disable the onboard audio btw.

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
I'm using Hyper X Quadcast and my machine sleeps just fine. So, the problem must be something else. It's just a normal USB mic and should not interfere with anything else on the system. I'm using external DAC and disable the onboard audio btw.
That's odd. I tried it on multiples USB ports and the problem continued. I tried without the mic, and then it worked properly. I also tried connecting other USB devices in the same ports (like Logitech webcam and pendrives) and it worked too. But if I plug in the quadcast, sleeping fails.
Perhaps yours is working because of the external DAC. By the way: which one are you using?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
That's odd. I tried it on multiples USB ports and the problem continued. I tried without the mic, and then it worked properly. I also tried connecting other USB devices in the same ports (like Logitech webcam and pendrives) and it worked too. But if I plug in the quadcast, sleeping fails.
Perhaps yours is working because of the external DAC. By the way: which one are you using?
As a test Try disabling the AppleALC kext and the internal audio in the bios. If it works then it’s the AppleALC kext that must be interfering

Cut The Grass

AMD OS X Member

I'm using Schiit Gungnir DAC for my music and a Creative GX6 for my games so my onboard audio is pretty much useless, it's disabled.
Sometimes the GX6 doesn't play well with the patched ALC, so I used the vanilla one to enable the direct audio mode without DSP. You should try disabling the onboard sound card and use the quad cast with patched ALC to see how it goes. I've just unplugged all my DACs and test with onboard audio, it's working.

Also, try using different version of bios to see how it goes.

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
As a test Try disabling the AppleALC kext and the internal audio in the bios. If it works then it’s the AppleALC kext that must be interfering
I'm using Schiit Gungnir DAC for my music and a Creative GX6 for my games so my onboard audio is pretty much useless, it's disabled.
Sometimes the GX6 doesn't play well with the patched ALC, so I used the vanilla one to enable the direct audio mode without DSP. You should try disabling the onboard sound card and use the quad cast with patched ALC to see how it goes. I've just unplugged all my DACs and test with onboard audio, it's working.

Also, try using different version of bios to see how it goes.
I removed the AppleALC kext, disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, and the problem continued. I haven't tried tinkering with the BIOS version. I'm using the latest (4021).
I was thinking about buying a Scarlett 2i2 or a Tascam US-2x2HR to connect two Yamaha HS7 and the Quadcast, but now I'm afraid to spend money on it and it doesn't work well.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I removed the AppleALC kext, disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, and the problem continued. I haven't tried tinkering with the BIOS version. I'm using the latest (4021).
I was thinking about buying a Scarlett 2i2 or a Tascam US-2x2HR to connect two Yamaha HS7 and the Quadcast, but now I'm afraid to spend money on it and it doesn't work well.
The Scarlet works fine, native drivers. Not sure about the Tascam but I’m sure it’s the same deal

Cut The Grass

AMD OS X Member

I like the Scarlet, so you can go with it. No issues for me, but since you're having problem already, your milage may vary. @AudioGod build is rock solid, so if you run into some problems, cross check his specs and yours to see the difference. That's usually when problem appear. For example: I have random graphic issues and windows server crashes randomly, but that's due to my XFX 6900XT Bios and not the EFI config.

Btw, do you happen to have usb hub attached somewhere ? I used to run a USB switch and it messed up my sleep big time. Razer products also sometimes messes up sleep and please remove all junky from Corsair and Razer.

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
I like the Scarlet, so you can go with it. No issues for me, but since you're having problem already, your milage may vary. @AudioGod build is rock solid, so if you run into some problems, cross check his specs and yours to see the difference. That's usually when problem appear. For example: I have random graphic issues and windows server crashes randomly, but that's due to my XFX 6900XT Bios and not the EFI config.

Btw, do you happen to have usb hub attached somewhere ? I used to run a USB switch and it messed up my sleep big time. Razer products also sometimes messes up sleep and please remove all junky from Corsair and Razer.
The main differences, from what I've seen, are the processor (mine is the 3900X) and the GPU (mine is the 5700XT). As the processor has the same number of cores as @AudioGod's (12 cores) and as the GPU is also a NAVI, from what I understand, I wouldn't need to change anything in config.plist apart from platforminfo, right? Or would I need to change something in the bootargs?

I have nothing from Corsair or Razer. Sometimes I use a Logitech USB Hub but it is turned off and unplugged.

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
Today I, perhaps stupidly, upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey via System Preferences. After the installer completed, I'm unable to boot.

I was on the 0.7.4 version of this EFI and I reset NVRAM. Do I need to tweak the SecureBootModel settings in config.plist like I've seen in some of the beta posts?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Today I, perhaps stupidly, upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey via System Preferences. After the installer completed, I'm unable to boot.

I was on the 0.7.4 version of this EFI and I reset NVRAM. Do I need to tweak the SecureBootModel settings in config.plist like I've seen in some of the beta posts?
No it’s all setup and ready to roll for Monterey. I’ve been running it since beta1 and tweaking the EFi to be optimised for Monterey. 0.7.4 is fully setup and ready for Monterey. As long as you left the SBM set to Default then you should be able to rock and roll.

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
No it’s all setup and ready to roll for Monterey. I’ve been running it since beta1 and tweaking the EFi to be optimised for Monterey. 0.7.4 is fully setup and ready for Monterey. As long as you left the SBM set to Default then you should be able to rock and roll.
Strange. Downloaded the EFI from scratch and managed to boot. I'll start making tweaks one by one to see what the issue was.

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
The Scarlet works fine, native drivers. Not sure about the Tascam but I’m sure it’s the same deal
I noticed that the Scarlett is usb-C and the rog strix has one usb-c port (that I never used). If I buy an usb-c to usb-c cable can I use this usb-c port to connect the Scarlett with your mapping, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.