AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING, 5900X, 5700XT Mini Guide & Support, OpenCore 0.6.8 EFI

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I went on a mission to get myself a Asus Crosshair VIII Hero DARK HERO as a freebie and failed miserably but in my pursuit for the motherboard I hassled the company so much that to shut me up they gave me a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING instead.
Anyway, as it happens to be my personal all round favourite X570 motherboard it would of been rude of me not to tear down my system and rebuild it with the X570-E mounted inside it instead.
Everything is working apart from the internal mic inputs and SideCar but everything else like Sleep, PowerNap, Wake, All iCloud functions inc AirDrop, iMessage, Handoff, AppleWatch Unlock etc etc work perfectly.
I have fully mapped USB manually on all ports and there's no micro stutters or freezes or anything else strange that you can think of.

Build Spec
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900XIMG_5617.jpeg
  • Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E (Bios Revision - 3801)
  • RAM: Corsair Pro Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz (Tuned)
  • Graphics: Sapphire RX 5700 XT
  • Case : Lian Li PC-O11DW Dynamic.
  • NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB & Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5, 80 Plus Gold 850W
  • WiFi-Bluetooth: BCM94360NG 1200Mbps 802.11ac
  • Sound: Onboard & Native Instruments Audio 6
  • Cooling : Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO
  • Operating Systems: Big Sur 11.2.3, Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS
  • Bootloader: OpenCore 0.6.8
  • SMBios MacPro7,1

ACPI SSDT's - All bypassed for other OS
  • SSDT-HPET.aml (HPET _CRS (Needs _CRS to XCRS Rename))
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml (CPU power management)
  • SSDT-SBRG.aml (Correcting EC, RTC memory & IRQ conflicts)
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml (SMBus Support)
  • SSDT-USBX.aml (USB power tables)

Kexts
  • Lilu.kext - V1.5.2
  • VirtualSMC.kext - V1.2.2
  • WhateverGreen.kext - V1.4.9
  • AppleALC.kext - V1.5.9
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext - V1.3.0
  • LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext - V1.0.0
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext - V0.6.6
  • SMCAMDProcessor.kext - V0.6.6
  • USBMap.kext - ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E
Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 15.55.19.png

What Works

Sound including the case's front headphones 3.5mm port​
Both Ethernet Ports​
WiFi / Bluetooth​
USB Type C, 3.0 & 2.0 (All ports Mapped & Open)​
Sleep & Wake​
Sleep and Shutdown via the Power Button​
Power Nap​
Hardware Acceleration​
AirDrop​
iCloud​
iMessages​
FaceTime​
AppleTV​
Netflix & Amazon Prime via Safari​
Handoff​
Continuity​
Apple Watch Unlock​

What Doesn't Work
SideCar​
Internal Mic Input​

As the iMacPro has now been discontinued I thought it was only right to stop using smbios iMacPro1,1 for my EFI setups and use MacPro7,1 instead but this also means the EFI is only good to use with Catalina and Big Sur.
For any OS older then Catalina you would need to switch the smbios to iMacPro1,1 and modify the config.plist to suit it.
One of the advantages with using smbios MacPro7,1 is there are no renames necessary for the USB controllers allowing me to keep the USB mapping as close to how AMD/ASUS intended the USB Mapping to be.

A few very minor tweaks and changes might be needed to be done to make your system setup perfect so please make sure you read the Install & Post Install notes so you can make those last few changes quick and easily.

BIOS Settings
  • Enter BIOS -> Press Delete -> Enter Setup
  • Exit -> Load Optimised Defaults
  • Ai Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner -> D.O.C.P.
  • Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> SVM Mode -> Enabled
  • Advanced -> Onboard Device Configuration -> PCIEX16_1,2,3 -> GEN 3
  • Advanced -> APM Configuration -> Power On By PCIe -> Enabled
  • Advanced -> PCI Subsystem Settings -> Above 4G Decoding -> Enabled
  • Advanced -> PCI Subsystem Settings -> Re-Size BAR Support -> Disabled
  • Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Auto or Disabled
  • Boot -> Boot Configuration -> Fast boot -> Disabled
  • Boot -> CSM -> Launch CSM -> Disabled
  • Boot -> Secure boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI mode
  • Boot -> Secure boot -> Key Management -> Clear Secure Boot Keys

Install Notes
Using PlistEdit Pro, Xcode or ProperTree add your details by modifying the following
1126595787_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_25_01.png.890a13d93c1ce4f42ee7dedb6d156e1e.png

Nvram
Important
- Before booting into MacOS using the new EFI for the first time make sure you reset your Nvram. (At the bootpicker press Space to reveal the option) Try to make this a habit and do it whenever you make system changes or upgrading the EFI to a newer version etc etc.

GPU
If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

Realtek Ethernet
The LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext has a small bug in it stopping the Realtek 2.5gb ethernet port from connecting when it’s set to Automatic.
If your at the install stage and your getting a warning that you have no internet connection then you need to do 1 of 2 things to correct it.
  1. Swap your ethernet cable over to the second (Intel) ethernet port or use your WiFi connection if you have one until you correct the Realtek port via post install.
  2. On the first page of your Big Sur install screen select Terminal and enter the following.
ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
This will manually setup the connection speed of the port and get it working.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 01.18.55.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 16.16.43.png

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 01.25.40.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 16.19.18.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 16.10.27.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 16.12.18.png

Current EFI - OpenCore 0.6.8 V3 (15/04/2021) SMBios MacPro7,1

I have made a small update to the EFI and added a correction to HPET via SSDT-HPET.aml and _CRS to XCRS Rename.

Memory Mapping has had a make over as I have discovered and had it confirmed by one of the OpenCore Devs that memory mapping can have a knock on effect on your memory stability if you fill the dummy slots with info like ram speed or having the ram listed in an order that OpenCores Memory Mapping doesn't like.
I have resolved these issues by mapping slots 0 and 2 instead of how my ram is actually installed (slots 1 and 3) and listing all other dummy ports as just that. This has allowed my memory timings to be a lot tighter then I could have them in MacOS previously and resolved the rare wake lockups that I discovered were happening.​

Attachments

• Asus X570-E 068 EFI V3.zip
    4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Post Install Notes

GPU
If your not happy with your geekbench results or want better frame rates while gaming and do not use audio over HDMI or DP then go into the Config.plist and navigate to Kernel -> Patch, Scroll down to the very last patch in the list (39) and enable it followed by disabling the patch directly above it (38). Save, Restart and your find your GPU geekbench score and frame rates in games will be better.
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 21.48.31.png

Realtek Ethernet Port No Connection Fix
There is a small bug with the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext making the Realtek Ethernet port fail to connect. This will be fixed by the developer of the kext in time but for now to fix this, In Big Sur you need togo into System Preferences -> Network and select the Realtek Ethernet Port (Not the one marked Ethernet 2) and then click on Advanced -> Hardware and set Configure to Manually and set the Speed to 1000baseT then click OK. This will kick the Realtek Ethernet Port into life and keep it that way.
Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 19.32.45.png

Intel Bluetooth & WiFi
Personally I prefer to use a native WiFi/Bluetooth Combo Card so I swapped out the Intel wireless combo card for a BCM94360NG instead.
If you would like to use the internal Intel wifi and bluetooth combo card then make sure you download and install the correct kexts from here.

Windows BootCamp
I have bypassed OpenCore when booting into any OS other then MacOS so Windows and Linux won’t see your PC as a MAC and no parts of the ACPI or your smbios Details will be loaded into any other OS.
This also means that bootcamp for windows will not work so if you wanted to use this feature then all you need to do is allow OpenCore to inject your smbios details again by making the following changes to the Config.plist.

Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> No​
PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create​

Memory Cosmetic Fix
Using smbios MacPro7,1 means mapping your memory via OpenCore to stop MacOS from from throwing a memory error every time you start up your system and display the memory correctly inside about my Mac under the memory tab.
I have already corrected this by mapping my own memory banks and creating dummy memory for the other unused slots but since I use 2x Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb @3600mhz this probably will not be what you use.
This is not a problem at all and MacOS will run perfectly fine as it’s only cosmetic but if you would like to correct it and have your own memory listed correctly then do the following.
  1. Take a note of your memory's Manufacture, Model, Serial Number, Size and Speed. You can find these details on the sticker on the ram or via various ways in Windows or MacOS.
  2. Open your Config.plist and under PlatformInfo -> Memory -> Devices change the Manufacture, Model, Serial Number, Size and Speed to match your Ram of Devices 0, 1, 2 and 3 if your using 4 sticks of memory or Devices 0 and 2 if your using 2 Sticks.
Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 20.57.27.png

Once you have done that just save your work and restart and your memory should now be displaying correctly.

I could of cut out all the hassle of having to do that and used the restrictevents.kext instead but that would be no fun plus it is a half baked fix that doesn’t clear the error fully and I would rather things to be done properly so using the kext was never an option for me.

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 10.28.13.png

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 11.07.11.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 18.30.28.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 18.28.04.png

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 00.31.06.png

Screenshot 2021-03-13 at 00.10.18.png

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 18.38.23.png

If you need help then you’re welcome to get in touch and please do let me know how the EFI works for you.

Big Ups!
AG

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
UPDATE NOTICE
I have made a small change to the EFI and added a correction to HPET via SSDT-HPET.aml and _CRS to XCRS Rename.
If you downloaded the EFI prior to today then please download it again with the new changes.
AG

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Hey All,
Just a quick note but I’m still fine tuning and refining the EFI so don’t be surprised if I post a new revision of it a few more times before 0.6.9 releases.
Keep an eye out for updates. 👍

dijimet

I am watching this title every day. Also this title very special and only this forum. thank you ...

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
UPDATE NOTICE
Memory Mapping has had a make over as I have discovered and had it confirmed by one of the OpenCore Devs that memory mapping can have a knock on effect on your memory stability if you fill the dummy slots with info like ram speed or having the ram listed in an order that OpenCores Memory Mapping doesn't like.
I have resolved these issues by mapping slots 0 and 2 instead of how my ram is actually installed (slots 1 and 3) and listing all other dummy ports as just that. This has allowed my memory timings to be a lot tighter then I could have them in MacOS previously and resolved the rare wake lockups that I discovered were happening.

Like Last time If you downloaded the EFI prior to today then please download it again with the new changes.
AG

Top Bottom