ASRock X570 Creator Thunderbolt works...ish.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
ASRock X570 Creator
I'm at a weird impasse. I used a mildly modified version of iGPU's AMD_OC_RYZEN's EFI to get Catalina installed, but contrary to many people on the old SNAZZYLABS-RYZENSHINE thread, I couldn't get Thunderbolt working despite the EFI being for my specific motherboard.

Then, I tried aluveitie's RyzenMacPro EFI which is for ASRock's X570 ITX and Thunderbolt is 100% minus hot swap. The only problem is only a couple of the USB ports work. Oh, also, it shut's down properly and seems to have better sleep!

My thinking was to just marry the two repositories and BOOM. They are both 0.5.8. But to a noob like me, I don't know what to try to marry. I tried replacing the entire ACPI folder and the entire bit under ACPI in config.plist, but that didn't work.

I used DIFF in sublime to see the differences in between the plist files, attached, but I can't figure out what's important for Thunderbolt and sleep specifically.

Should I just start replacing the .aml files one at a time? Is there a difference in the .plist file I should be looking at? I feel like if I could get the USB corrected on this RyzenMacPro EFI, I might even be able to get past my biggest battle which it to get High Sierra installed on this box so I can tap my CUDA cores.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• config_iGPU.plist -> config-alueitie.plist
    39.6 KB · Views: 11

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@winterwolf Most X570 boards are very similar, and I've used some parts of/or similar to iGPU's EFI due to it. The main difference is the USB layout, all X570 use the same controller set up, but connect ports in their own way. Since mine is an ITX it has only 4 ports on the back plane which obviously isn't working on your Crerator.

So short, you'll have to remove my SSDT-XHC-*.aml and add the three SSDTs from iGPU's EFI depending on your setup:

Then you have to swap out the USBPorts kext with either

That should get your USB map fixed.

The XHC3 was the main issue for sleep on my board and I've deactivated it completely though you have to weight the lost functionality against it. (On my ITX it downgrades two ports to USB 2 only).

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
That should get your USB map fixed.
Thanks! That worked! Now I finally have both USB and Thunderbolt working at the same time.

Now if I could just get the USB to work on the High Sierra install.

Last edited:

SeanMeade1

AMD OS X Member
Thanks! That worked! Now I finally have both USB and Thunderbolt working at the same time.

Now if I could just get the USB to work on the High Sierra install.

I'm stuck on the same step you were in this thread @winterwolf ... however when I try to replace the kexts I keep getting errors. Did you add the new kexts to your boot drive, or to the library/extensions area? Every time I try putting the kext in the boot drive's kext folder and updating the config.plist, I get an error saying the "file access not present in vault" even though my vault is set to optional.

Last edited:

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
I'm stuck on the same step you were in this thread @winterwolf ... however when I try to replace the kexts I keep getting errors. Did you add the new kexts to your boot drive, or to the library/extensions area? Every time I try putting the kext in the boot drive's kext folder and updating the config.plist, I get an error saying the "file access not present in vault" even though my vault is set to optional.
Are you trying to edit folders and files on your drives EFI folder? Definitely don't do that. Use a folder on a hard drive on a different computer to build your EFI folders. And then dump them on a USB stick to check to see if they work.

Also, I actually went back to iGPU's repo and just simply commented "no" or "false" (depending on which app you use), to all the thunderbolt kexts and it worked.

SeanMeade1

AMD OS X Member
Are you trying to edit folders and files on your drives EFI folder? Definitely don't do that. Use a folder on a hard drive on a different computer to build your EFI folders. And then dump them on a USB stick to check to see if they work.

Also, I actually went back to iGPU's repo and just simply commented "no" or "false" (depending on which app you use), to all the thunderbolt kexts and it worked.

Did you mean the thunderbolt aml files? I didn't recall any thunderbolt kexts? Still having issues getting thunderbolt personally, but tackling it one day at a time now. Once I give a couple more attempts would you be willing to take a look at my EFI and see if there's any notable differences I've made by mistake?

SeanMeade1

AMD OS X Member
Additionally, you got your TB ports working on the Rear IO panel, or did you purchase a TB card (excuse me if I use the wrong terms).

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
Did you mean the thunderbolt aml files?
Hey sorry. Yes, I meant the aml files. It was pretty late when I wrote that post.
I did get TB3 working on the back panel. However, it might have just been the TB1 port and not TB2. There's another thread about this somewhere. I attached my EFI folder with cleaned serials. Hope this helps.

I've moved to a Gigabyte board since this board wasn't working for me in High Sierra. Not able to get that board working either, but still trying. Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• ASRcok Creator EFI clean.zip
    6 MB · Views: 39

SeanMeade1

AMD OS X Member
Hey sorry. Yes, I meant the aml files. It was pretty late when I wrote that post.
I did get TB3 working on the back panel. However, it might have just been the TB1 port and not TB2. There's another thread about this somewhere. I attached my EFI folder with cleaned serials. Hope this helps.

I've moved to a Gigabyte board since this board wasn't working for me in High Sierra. Not able to get that board working either, but still trying. Let me know how it goes.

Ohhhhh man, I went all the way back, wiped everything. Went to mojave, iMacPro1,1 instead of MacPro and made a couple of small adjustments to what you sent in terms of .aml and kexts, but Thunderbolt is good to go! Thank you so much! (I'll add to that it's still no hot swap and only the one port, but I only need one to get my work done so I won't be tinkering any more haha) Apollo is working smoothly.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.