Anyone having luck trying to Ryzentosh an Alienware r10?

McFly

AMD OS X Member
Was looking at an Alienware Aurora R10. Specs are great, ryzen 7 and radeon rx 5700 xt. What about the bios? Would open core work on this rig? What about kexts? Thanks.

slavezeo

AMD OS X Member
I have Big Sur 11.4 running just fine on an Alienware R10. I'm using my ancient geforce 730 1GB until my RX 6900 XT is delivered. the RTX 2080 Super it came with wasn't macOS compatible, of course. I seriously just used the OpenCore guide under Linux and macOS installed just fine from USB. So far Messages and the app store work. The wifi and bluetooth are a no go since they are a atheros chipset (I've not put any effort into getting them to work honestly). Audio works via AppleALC.kext (I haven't tested microphone input). Ethernet is Realtek. Im not sure about sleep or wake up.

Some weird quirks about this machine are the PCI-e 16x slots run at 8x speed @ PCI-e 4.0, I think this system is really intended for dual gfx cards. The chipset is not the AMD X570 chipset Windows reports. It instead is the B550A which is a kinda sorta rebranded AMD 470 chipset.

My system has the following hardware in it

R10 chasis
Ryzen 3900XT
32GB Kingston 2933MHz ram (actually 3200MHz RAM but is locked to 2933MHz)
32GB of some other 2666MHz RAM I had sitting around. Set to XMP 2 in the bios to run at 2933MHz.
PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB, PCI-e 3.0 (Linux install, i've read macOS doesn't like samsung m.2 drives)
WD 500GB SATA SSD (macOS install)
WD 3TB NAS hard drive
Most USB ports work in 2.0/3.1 speeds. I haven't tested every single port though.
Geforce GT 730 1GB (strangely works really well)

EDIT: Just tested sleep and wake up. Much to my surprise it worked properly.

Last edited:

Dizzit

AMD OS X Member
I have Big Sur 11.4 running just fine on an Alienware R10. I'm using my ancient geforce 730 1GB until my RX 6900 XT is delivered. the RTX 2080 Super it came with wasn't macOS compatible, of course. I seriously just used the OpenCore guide under Linux and macOS installed just fine from USB. So far Messages and the app store work. The wifi and bluetooth are a no go since they are a atheros chipset (I've not put any effort into getting them to work honestly). Audio works via AppleALC.kext (I haven't tested microphone input). Ethernet is Realtek. Im not sure about sleep or wake up.

Some weird quirks about this machine are the PCI-e 16x slots run at 8x speed @ PCI-e 4.0, I think this system is really intended for dual gfx cards. The chipset is not the AMD X570 chipset Windows reports. It instead is the B550A which is a kinda sorta rebranded AMD 470 chipset.

My system has the following hardware in it

R10 chasis
Ryzen 3900XT
32GB Kingston 2933MHz ram (actually 3200MHz RAM but is locked to 2933MHz)
32GB of some other 2666MHz RAM I had sitting around. Set to XMP 2 in the bios to run at 2933MHz.
PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB, PCI-e 3.0 (Linux install, i've read macOS doesn't like samsung m.2 drives)
WD 500GB SATA SSD (macOS install)
WD 3TB NAS hard drive
Most USB ports work in 2.0/3.1 speeds. I haven't tested every single port though.
Geforce GT 730 1GB (strangely works really well)

EDIT: Just tested sleep and wake up. Much to my surprise it worked properly.

I'm very jealous. I have had nothing but trouble getting Hackintosh installed on my R10 with 5950X & RX6800xt. Can you make an ISO of your USB installer and share it?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.