AMD OS X Member
Hi,

I have a PC with spec

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
MB: MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb x2
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6600 XT GAMING OC 8G
SSD: WD BLACK SN750 1 TB

I know my mainboard has a problem with Monterey.

Does anyone have any recommended mainboard?

Thank you.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Before anyone provides you with an alternative (Asus or Gigabyte) motherboard option, can you answer the following:
  1. Are you currently running Big Sur?
    • Does it run well and can you use all the Applications you need?
  2. Have you tried installing Monterey to a new APFS volume, on your WD NVMe drive, so your current (Big Sur) installation is not messed up?
    • Have you tried installing Monterey on a separate SSD/NVMe?
  3. What issues if any have you run in to while installing macOS Monterey?
  4. Are you using an old or new Bios version?
    • As sometimes downgrading the bios to an older version allows people to install Monterey on an MSI motherboard.

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
Before anyone provides you with an alternative (Asus or Gigabyte) motherboard option, can you answer the following:
  1. Are you currently running Big Sur?
    • Does it run well and can you use all the Applications you need?
  2. Have you tried installing Monterey to a new APFS volume, on your WD NVMe drive, so your current (Big Sur) installation is not messed up?
    • Have you tried installing Monterey on a separate SSD/NVMe?
  3. What issues if any have you run in to while installing macOS Monterey?
  4. Are you using an old or new Bios version?
    • As sometimes downgrading the bios to an older version allows people to install Monterey on an MSI motherboard.
Hi Edhawk.
sorry for responding late.
For the first two questions, I have never installed macOS before.
For the third question, I think It did not boot to installation. I can not remember. I tried it around three months ago.
For the last question, No. I did not try it.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this OpenCore EFI folder it is built from the OC 0.7.9 release for an 8-core AMD CPU, using a B550 motherboard.

As you have an RX 6600 XT GPU you need to be installing macOS Monterey 12.1 or newer, otherwise your graphics won't work.

You also need to make sure you have your BISO set correctly to run macOS.

AMD BIOS Settings​

• Note: Most of these options may not be present in your firmware, we recommend matching up as closely as possible but don't be too concerned if many of these options are not available in your BIOS

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) Must be off, GPU errors like gIO are common when this option is enabled.

Enable​

• Above 4G decoding (This must be off, as I have added npci=0x2000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time.)
    • If you are on a Gigabyte/Aorus or an AsRock motherboard, enabling this option may break certain drivers(ie. Ethernet) and/or boot failures on other OSes, if it does happen then disable this option and opt for npci instead
    • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available on some X570 and newer motherboards. Please ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0 if this is enabled.
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.7 MB · Views: 9

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
I tried your EFI and it stuck here

IMG_20220314_194004.jpg

And I think last time I did not set bios that make it did not boot to the installation.
Then I tried to boot with my EFI again. It booted to the Mac installation. The page has disk utility.
But It just one time can boot to that page. After that, I always get Kernel Panic like this

IMG_20220313_182252.jpg

I tried to set SetupVirtualMap to true but it still has the same issues.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That looks like an issue with VirtualSMC v1.2.9.

Try this EFI, I have downgraded Lilu.kext, VirtualSMC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, to the previous releases, see if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.5 MB · Views: 5

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
That looks like an issue with VirtualSMC v1.2.9.

Try this EFI, I have downgraded Lilu.kext, VirtualSMC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, to the previous releases, see if that makes any difference.
It still got the same issue.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
What version of Monterey are you trying to install? Your RX6600 XT GPU is only supported from 12.1. or newer.

Could be up against the same issue some MSI board users have faced where they can't install macOS Monterey. Some have been fortunate, in that the installation progressed when they downgraded their Bios, to an older version. Others have installed Big Sur, where the same MSI issues haven't occurred.

With the RX6600 XT you don't have a choice about which version of macOS to install , you have to run Monterey 12.1 or newer for your GPU to be recognised and work.

Andrew Z

AMD OS X Member
I had the same issue here. My config is MSI B550M MOTAR WIFI+5800X+6600XT.

Andrew Z

AMD OS X Member
I had the same issue here. My config is MSI B550M MOTAR WIFI+5800X+6600XT.
I am hoping that the OC team can have some kind of update in the following months

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
What version of Monterey are you trying to install? Your RX6600 XT GPU is only supported from 12.1. or newer.

Could be up against the same issue some MSI board users have faced where they can't install macOS Monterey. Some have been fortunate, in that the installation progressed when they downgraded their Bios, to an older version. Others have installed Big Sur, where the same MSI issues haven't occurred.

With the RX6600 XT you don't have a choice about which version of macOS to install , you have to run Monterey 12.1 or newer for your GPU to be recognised and work.
It is Monterey 12.2.1. I will try downgraded bios.

Andrew Z

AMD OS X Member
It is Monterey 12.2.1. I will try downgraded bios.
you can't downgrade bios as you have a 5000 series CPU...I did try a older bios version, the PC won't boot, not even windows

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
you can't downgrade bios as you have a 5000 series CPU...I did try a older bios version, the PC won't boot, not even windows
Thake for the advice. But It can downgrade to a version that supports 5000 series CPU. Just do not downgrade older than that version.

Kaiwit

AMD OS X Member
After I tried to downgrade It still does not work.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You'd need to go to an very old version not supporting Zen 3.

dmls

AMD OS X Member

Andrew Z

AMD OS X Member
MSI released a new BIOS version, maybe you can try with Monterey 12.3

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The latest round of BIOS updates added support for the new CPUs like the 5800X3D. I'd have little hope MSI will fix the issue on their end.

Andrew Z

AMD OS X Member
YEAH, some did try, and end up the same issue
The latest round of BIOS updates added support for the new CPUs like the 5800X3D. I'd have little hope MSI will fix the issue on their end.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.